Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Folks -

I had my 780 RS for sale for a while now to gauge interest. A gentlemen came to look at her yesterday and off it went in the back of his truck. Being a 2009, resale value had decrease dramatically. What breaks my heart even more is the amount of blood, sweat, tears and $$$ into the thing. It seems like every sled I get, it's the same cycle. Build a sweet power plant, and off load it for pennies on the dollar. But such is life right?

On to the next build! Been toying around with the idea of buying a trail sled. Wrenching is nice and I love it, but it would be a relief going into winter 2016/2017 knowing I don't need to hope for some early snow so I can test/tune/verify jetting before trail riding. :laugh_old: Turn key and go seems really nice.

Although, I wouldn't mind a 15/16 rs with another 780cc ;) We shall see! Best of luck to anyone trying to sell this winter. Offload while you can - the moral for nxt winter will be SUPER low considering how ****ty this winter has been.

Ride safe!

·
I picked a stupid name...
1,537 Posts
This is why I've always been apprehensive to go the 770 route in mine. I'm on the fence about buying a 16 RS or spending the extra dough to get a 137 Freeride or and 800 xrs. At some point mixing gas and jetting gets old when no one else in your group has to do the same.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You need two! One to tinker, one to ride haha.

Nothing is worse than having a trip planned and running around trying to get it running. Takes all the fun out of it for me. This goes for all toys not just sleds

·
Armchair Interweb Coach
102,565 Posts
Half the fun us tinkering in the garage and having your buddies talk smack for nights in end. That or having the kids learn what makes the sled work.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TO be honest, the premix thing is very simple and gives me a peace of mind oil injection doesn't. I know the sled is always getting the correct amount of oil. I've seen buddies burn down sleds coming off a 100mph run due to the pump unable to compensate for that. Rare, but it happens. I use a Quick2Mix container and it literally takes seconds longer than trial sleds.

0-100mph my 780cc gave big sleds fits all day long. All they saw was tail light. At 100mph is when the 1.75 really showed its downfall and thats all the legs she had with that track and gearing. With that said, I've swapped new motors inot every race sled i've owned and I don't regret one second. But as said above, nothing worse than planning your first trip of the year and your big bore still needs to be dialed in before you hit the trails.

DooGuyMn - The big bores in the RS chassis are seriously a hoot! Sure they wont have the legs an 800etec has up top due to the big luck track and gearing, but getting there is much more fun than the 800's. Try it , you wont regret it!

·
RS
3,087 Posts
I'm putting an 800etec in mine.. I use to ride just the RS.. then I bought an etec one day and I love them... I can run er hard and not worry about gas... when I ride my RS with etec buddies I'll burn way more than them. Mixing gas is a pain when you've run out in the backcountry and don't have oil to mix. Also I don't like the consistency of the RS.. some days it runs perfect like any trail sled and other days I get blips or burps and no idea why

·
I picked a stupid name...
1,537 Posts
DooGuyMn - The big bores in the RS chassis are seriously a hoot! Sure they wont have the legs an 800etec has up top due to the big luck track and gearing, but getting there is much more fun than the 800's. Try it , you wont regret it!
A short stroke 800 (770) seems like the perfect amount of motor and should be more reliable in theory than an 800. If I find a nice 16 RS this spring I may do the DMax stage 1 kit and keep it for several years. I can do a lot of mods to an RS before I'm into Freeride type money. Those 800 ETECs are sooo expensive and have a lot of recalls.

·
RS
3,087 Posts
A short stroke 800 (770) seems like the perfect amount of motor and should be more reliable in theory than an 800. If I find a nice 16 RS this spring I may do the DMax stage 1 kit and keep it for several years. I can do a lot of mods to an RS before I'm into Freeride type money. Those 800 ETECs are sooo expensive and have a lot of recalls.
I have 3 ETECs and none have had recalls... they are cheaper than a 770 build if you get a wrecked sled.. or even a new one and part the rest out. My last 770 didn't last all winter.. some guys around here got over 8000km on their etec sleds.

My 770 had some jam... it would flip right over on the handle bars if I hooked up In deep snow.

The 800r was the more issue prone 800.. but then again it wasn't much more than a 770 it was still bassically a carbed sled but ran much better in changed temps and elevation than an RS motor with just power jets

1 - 10 of 10 Posts