Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...
Just wanted to know what the pro's and con's are of the 440's from 2003 to 2005.
Would I be better off looking for one particular year or doesn't it matter? I will be converting it, if not already done for trail riding.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
the 03 is your best bet for converting it to trial riding EASY. No need for HC heads. Just the bigger tank and pick up line. 04-05 take alittle mroe time due to the button, swap out the heads, change the 45t bottom gear and tune these babies. 04+ is alittle trickey to tune low-mid. What ever choice you make it will be PEREFCT...just some year sled take alittle more work to convert. -Chris

·
Registered
204 Posts
440 man what pilot on the 04 I am curently running pumpfuel needle/ 25 pilot with 1.5 turn on the fuel screw and clip on the second from top. is this to lean. also have tempaflow set up . It works awsome just like you said. the sled didnt like the combo of 35 pilot second clip at all on the tempa flow set up but with out it it ran pritty good when jetted spot on.Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don Stark said:
440 man what pilot on the 04 I am curently running pumpfuel needle/ 25 pilot with 1.5 turn on the fuel screw and clip on the second from top. is this to lean. also have tempaflow set up . It works awsome just like you said. the sled didnt like the combo of 35 pilot second clip at all on the tempa flow set up but with out it it ran pritty good when jetted spot on.Thanks for your help.
[snapback]297971[/snapback]​
ttt

·
Metalhead
9,090 Posts
PurdellMGP said:
Hello...
Just wanted to know what the pro's and con's are of the 440's from 2003 to 2005.
Would I be better off looking for one particular year or doesn't it matter? I will be converting it, if not already done for trail riding.

Thanks
[snapback]297275[/snapback]​
2005 vs 03/04
Pro: 05 rear suspension. All I gotta say is WOW!!! No donkey kick, valving for rebound even for trail is nice n slow, so if you wanted to go next-softer springs all the way around, the rebound will be slower than 04/03 model. On the 03/04 models, when you change springs the rebound seems to be gone and whacks the shock to full extension very hard. It's partially because of compression is not stiff enough so the shocks see more stroke, compress spring more, more rebound force from spring gives that pogo thing. 05 suspension couple is much smoother with the return side missing on the 05 rail. Smooth, smooth, smooth. smooth...no donkey kick, no rebound hammer because shock strokes to full ext. slower.

Under acceleration the way the suspension transfer....hang the fk on man, low couple the rear arm, crank c/shock spring, turn screw in to 3/4 then it make the engine grunt so hard you'll holeshot anything other than another 05 440 rev.

Con's: The 04/05 seat design w/rear tail light is ugly, looks like a$s. JMHO

The 03/04 sleds?.....Ahh, they're pretty good with easy simple changeover like everyone will mention. They're a hoot to drive. I like the 04/05 track better than all previous years. Stiffer paddle, 1-3/4" paddle compared to much softer paddle on 1-5/8 [2003] and 1.5 [2002], 1-3/8" [2001], 1-1/4 [2000/99]

Im putting my 03 up for sale at end of season. I want an 06 race sled.

My advice regarding shocks is stick with a #4 oil and never go more than a #5 weight. If you go thicker oil it messes up the low speed valve circuit and all plushness of your ride will be gone. You will feel much ripple bumps and the sled will be jittery and will wash the trail sweeping side to side in 6" to 12" bumps..........not fun, in fact downright difficult to drive and you will be very tired at end of day. Stick with stock BRP oil. I play with suspension all the time and finally got figured out to have plush ride but still whack bumps like sno-x or extreme x-country race.

J'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts