Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm looking at installing the super lite Pro series single backers (84) with either the power point or power point plus studs. I have a 1" lug ripsaw track and I'm not sure if it's 1 ply or 2? Please educate me! Thanks.

IMG_9833_zps0mhmstso.jpg

·
boost junkie
10,601 Posts
just about every skidoo since 2008 has a single ply track

so a 09 1200 uses a 2.86 pitch single ply

may be time to update to a 1.25 or bigger lug

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'd love to go bigger lug but my track is in great shape (previous owner installed new, why 1" lug I don't know) so I'm not ready to drop big bucks on a new one. I'm hoping these backers will help with traction a little.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2016 renegade 1200 is supposed to be a single ply track, however it is definitely 2 ply where the studs are recommended for installation. The plugsthat came out when I drilled the holes all had 2 distinct plys. I suspect this is why ski doo wants the studs located there.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Bestia, did you spin the track by hand and look at it? If it is one ply it may have a notice "not to stud" embossed in the rubber? I found the notice a few times on my ice ripper 1.25.

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,318 Posts
My 2016 renegade 1200 is supposed to be a single ply track, however it is definitely 2 ply where the studs are recommended for installation. The plugsthat came out when I drilled the holes all had 2 distinct plys. I suspect this is why ski doo wants the studs located there.
if it's the stk. track ,it's single ply .they do look like it could be 2 ply till you see one .you''ll know if you use the wrong studs and end up with a coolant leak and a missing stud . :wink_old:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bestia, did you spin the track by hand and look at it? If it is one ply it may have a notice "not to stud" embossed in the rubber? I found the notice a few times on my ice ripper 1.25.
Track has the locations marked where to stud in the center (qty 84) and it also says "studdable using approved BRP studs" or something along those lines. I included the pic of my track with the 1 layer of fibres, therefore I was leaning towards 1 ply myself. Just wanted to get others opinion based on my pic.

·
Registered
180 Posts
That's a Grand Touring track IMO. It look exactly like mine.

Yes, there are marks as to where one would put "recommended light/short" studs. Yet, it seem, feel and look like a one ply.

If you go ahead, i'd suggest you make sure your protection rail are at the same location as the GT, and also ride it like a touring :smile_old:

...as for myself, i go for the Ice-Ripper 1.25. There will be another cheap one on the market.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I agree based on the single layer of fibre that I can see, it's a 1 ply. I'll get the track up and look for part numbers or anything else that may say otherwise.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That "not to stud" notice is on your track because it is a pre-studded track, not because it is 1 ply. They don't recommend studding the Ice Rippers and Ice Attaks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the track up and it's a camoplast and I found a number on it but it doesn't make much sense (F1016803). I found another number that the last four digits are 2760 (other digits scrubbed off). Here's a pic through one of the windows in the middle. Now I'm thinking it's a 2 ply. Help! I want to order my studs very soon.

IMG_9877_zpswah1tumk.jpg

·
boost junkie
10,601 Posts
I believe you are seeing in that photo is 1 ply of nylon and 1 ply of fiberglass cords

a 2 ply has 2 nylon layers

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys! I've never seen a 2 ply so I have nothing to compare. The 2760 is indeed the last four digits of BRP's number! Power Point+ studs it is!

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Follow install instructions! Use a torque wrench to tighten nuts, retorque after first ride and each season. Install tunnel protectors also. These simple actions will enhance performance and reduce the chance of throwing a stud. Replaced damaged ones as soon as possible. And go easy on cement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts