Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Is my S-mod protected enough?

897 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Icanfixit 
#1 ·
I had the full Skid plate installed on the Enduro when I bought the sled. Is this enough protection or do I need to get the full after market alum brace they sell for $80.00?

I am not ditch banging every chance I get, mostly trails and I don't jump anything higher than 24" usually. Off trail riding is about 10% of the time and I am cautious when I do it. I avoid any lumps in the snow for sure. The other sleds I have ridden are AC and they only had issues while I crossed a RR track too far to the right of the road and bent the whole right set up, shock spindle, and both upper and lower A-arm. That was back in 2001. I am sure that side is a little out of alignment from that 15 mile per hour impact.

Also I am seeing the additional a-arm bracing and tunnel/foot rest bracing and what about those are they that weak that it is necessary to install right from the get go?

Any help on this subject is appreciated,

Steve

#2 ·
I'd say based on where you're riding and the kind of riding you prefer, the skid plate is enough. I personally have the s-mod, upper a-arm, heat exchanger protector from GripNRip and an extreme skid plate, but I ride off trail most of the time and I ride pretty aggressive.

You could always get that extra bracing for peace of mind, but for you I really don't think it's necessary.

#3 ·
So tonight one of the guys in our group bent his left front assembly while getting over a stacked log wall on a power line. Did not seam to be a

hard hit but it was enough to mess it up. I hit it just after he did and I made it over with out issue.

Have to keep an eye on what happens in the group. Almost everyone (12) has Ski-Doo's kind of weird only two Cats no Polaris or Yamaha's.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was doing a lot of thinking on this myself. Bought 2016 Blizzard with full skid plate installed. After reading about all the A-arm damage and possible s module twisting, I decided to go ahead and put the G&R A-arm & lower Brace on. If anything for peace of mind, knowing I did what I could to protect it the best. Of course, you just don't know what will happen when you take a hit. The only thing I did not really like about the G&R upper A-arm braces, is that they are made out of Stainless Steel. Although SS is a definitely a good choice for making that area more ridged it is not a good metal to be in contact with Aluminum. Galvanic Corrosion could occur over time when water, & salt are introduced. What I did to ease my concern of this, is that I applied some aluminum adhesive tape on the back side of the brace that will be butted up against the aluminum shock well. Now it's Aluminum against Aluminum, not SS against Aluminum. Then I painted it with grey Zinc spray paint, which is also a deterrent against Galvanic Corrosion. The bottom brace is Zinc plated, so that is good. Hopefully doing that will give the best protection of aluminum corrosion to start. I might be overthinking all this, but I'm just like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.