Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anybody has had any luck selling their sleds. I have had my 2012 FreeRide posted for sale on Dootalk, various locations on craigslist, many FB for sale or swap pages, etc and I have not had only 1 or two people respond with questions let alone offers. I thought I was being reasonable but what is the market like? I don't want to give it away but how is your selling process going?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sold my 2013 backcountry with 660 miles 2 weeks ago had it on here for 2 days and it sold! My dad sold his 2011 550f on craiglist in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I look at Craigslist daily in the twin cities. Lots of 03-04 revs with 5000 miles for over $4000. Way too high in my opinion. In fact there's a glut of 5-10yr old sleds with over 5000miles in the $5000 range. Crazy if you ask me I don't get it.

·
Super Moderator
29,359 Posts
I hear this a lot in the RV forums, and the answer is always the same; if it's priced right it will sell.

I just checked NADA and it shows a high book of $10,755 and a low book of $8,175 so $9,500 doesn't sound unreasonable to me, but...

This time of year is tough, season is winding down and people are looking forward to '15, not back at '12.

The other issue is the FreeRide is a premium sled, and a speciality sled too. Right or wrong there is a limited market for a sled like that.

It's not really a trail sled and it's not really a mountain sled. It doesn't have rMotion - which is huge.

I see it also has a wrap and the engine recall was done.

While none of those are a red flag they would be a caution flag to some.

I like stock and untouched, recall or not, and I think more people than not also like things this way.

As they say...it is what it is. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Just curious if anybody has had any luck selling their sleds. I have had my 2012 FreeRide posted for sale on Dootalk, various locations on craigslist, many FB for sale or swap pages, etc and I have not had only 1 or two people respond with questions let alone offers. I thought I was being reasonable but what is the market like? I don't want to give it away but how is your selling process going?
I see used 2-3 year old sleds on CL asking more than 14's at the dealers new right now... Maybe it's your price, what is your price?

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
I think it is an odd market this year to. I see allot of way over priced sleds like stated about. Mostly on Craigslist. Guys are asking 4000-5000 for a sled that should be listed for 3000. Allot of them look used and abused as well. I also think this is driving up the used sled market for the guys that take care of there sleds as they are now asking more since they see the others listed what they would have asked. It's been a good season so far and allot of guys have put more miles on than expected. With the release a week and a half away guys should be wiling to dump them now expecting to lose more money after the release as there sleds will be just that much older. But thats just my 2cents...

·
Super Moderator
17,986 Posts
I think the market is a mess the last five years. People want high high prices for everything, to the point its less aggravating to go to a dealer and buy new or leftover, so a lot of people don't buy used from private anymore.
That how I see it around here and I'm not saying your pricing is high at all. Just market in general.

I put mine up for sale for month in the spring usually. If it doesn't sell for my price, I trade in.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I sold my 06 Gade X with 6500 miles for $3300.. First guy looked at it bought it for asking. I could have asked more and sat on it. This was last Thursday. Friday I picked up my 'new' 13 600X mint, for $1000 below low retail. Gotta be a deal to sell at the end of the season.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sold my REV for parts or a rebuild candidate last week about 2 hours after posting it online. I had to take the ad down I was getting so many texts/emails/phone calls. People from up to an 8 hour drive away. I had people offering me more than I asked if I would kill the deal with the first guy before he picked it up. Crazy. I think I should have asked more.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The 3000-5000 sleds sell fast this time of year, because of tax returns. Always have. Selling a sled that the buyer will most likely need to get a loan on at the end of season is tough. Why sell now? Hold on to it and send it back on the market in August. Otherwise you are going to have to give it away this time of year, unless you get lucky. Make sure your local dealer knows you have it for sale, in case someone totals their sled and wants to replace right away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sold an 05 polaris xc, had alot of lookers finding reason not to buy it, pretty tough selling, just got to find the right buyer and be willing to negotiate alittle but dont give it away just take it down and repost it in acouple weeks and try to find new buyers

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Sled resale is not so good. In the last month I saw numerous 1200's with under 1500 miles for under 6K. Great for the used buyers not so good for the new sled buyers.

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
Sled resale is not so good. In the last month I saw numerous 1200's with under 1500 miles for under 6K. Great for the used buyers not so good for the new sled buyers.
So why cant i find another 13 xrs for under 10000 :biggrin_old:

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I hear this a lot in the RV forums, and the answer is always the same; if it's priced right it will sell.

I just checked NADA and it shows a high book of $10,755 and a low book of $8,175 so $9,500 doesn't sound unreasonable to me, but...

This time of year is tough, season is winding down and people are looking forward to '15, not back at '12.
Not only that but its also Tax Season. The internet has killed sales of stuff. People ask way to much for things they have. Has anyone looked at used Diesel Truck prices. 15k for a truck the has 2-300k miles on it. YEA RIGHT!!! Sleds are the same way. You are not advertising locally, anyone and their brother can read them, this country and others. I payed 10k for mine it has 1500 miles on it. I wouldn't take less than 8500-9 for it. Is it worth it? IDK but its worth that to me. There are killer deals on leftovers this time of year like others said. Why buy used when you can spend 1k more and get a brand new. I didn't. Good luck in your sales.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm looking for a '10 Gade X 1200. I have not seen the deals you have. If you could point me to one or two, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's pretty simple economics. If it's not selling, you are asking too much.Not for what you are comfortable with, but what the market will bare. I think it's a reasonable price, but I wouldn't pay it. A couple years ago I wanted to sell my Z06 Corvette. I priced it low, and it was gone fast, off season. After doing some math and figuring out how much to carry the financing for a few more months until the hot season to get top dollar, I then figured a price I would be happy with "right now" and it worked out pretty even. For what that's worth...

At $8500 I probably would have been sniffing around it very seriously. At $9500 no interest I'm afraid. It's an awesome sled, but thanks to the internet everybody wants to wait for the deal.

I would recommend taking off the wrap though and making it look stock. More likely to appeal to somebody with the cash to actually buy it (ie a lame old guy ;) )that way.

My .02

·
Cadillac mountain Enduro
3,558 Posts
I couldn't even get some one to come and look at my 03 800x for $2500. and its as clean as it was new with a 136 full rails and zx tunnel extion with extra coolers fresh shock service reddy to run for the year after more than 100 dreamer / tire kicker / will you trade me this calls I said to heck with it I keep it as a spare the motors worth that. the only problem with it if its cold I cant pull it over , to much compresson but it shore goes good LOL .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.