Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Invisible Fence

2K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  DooTents 
#1 ·
So who has one for their dog?

Who has installed one?

Best place to buy?

I do not want to fence in my whole yard. I have a 6' wood fence along the rear of my property. My neighbor has a 4' chain link 1/2 way down one side of my yard. I'm on a corner lot and really like the way it appears now. Any insight would be helpful.

#4 ·
I've never had the fence but had the electric collar. They work well. After just a couple of zaps the dog learns very quickly.

Only takes a few minutes to set up and activate versus a lot of installation of the wire and the dog still has to wear a collar.

I picked mine up at Tractor Supply.
We had good luck with the Petsafe radio collars , nothing to bury and you can add range with an additional transmitter . There is also a higher voltage , rechargeable collar for stubborn dogs .

#5 ·
I installed mine about 20 years ago and it is great, We joke it the best home improvement we have made. Installation was easy and i have had to replace some areas of wire due to tree roots and last time i just laid the wire on top of the grass holding it down with tent stakes and the grass grows over it and I have no problems with mowing . I do have to avoid riding over those areas with my snowmobile.Bought mine at Tractor supply and in worked great on over 2 acres,I did need to get the stubborn dog collar for a large dog we had.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've installed the Petsafe ones in my last three houses. You can definitely DIY. Unfortunately my summer hobby is working in my yard and I am constantly cutting the wire. I usually splice it back together and rebury. In the wooded area it just sits on the surface and that has never been a problem. My dog is getting old and is pretty much deaf now so she doesnt hear the beeping and I dont have teh energy to cinch the collar tight so that she gets a zap. So it's not working for me right now.

Edit: I bury the wire in the lawn by using a manual lawn edger I got at HD. It has a blade about 6" wide and 6" deep. Step on it to create an opening in the soil, push the wire in with your fingers or maybe a thin piece of wood (paint mixing stick), step on it to bury and move on. Tedious if you have a big area but paying someone else to do it is $$$.

Attachments

#8 ·
I had one at my old place for my previous dog, worked well for the most part, you need to train them well. My dog would chase a squirrel right through it, and take the shock. Of course then he wouldn't come back across it, because then the shock isn't worth it. I wouldn't leave the dog out when your not around.

New house, on 64 acres, new dog, no need for it now. This one doesn't go far. I have a kennel for him for when we aren't home.

#19 ·
My neighbors beagles would chase rabbits thru the wire and take the shock, but when they came back they would just sit outside the fence and wait. My wife felt sorry for them one day and took there collars off, put them on her wrist and walked the dogs across the wire. Only once.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
After researching what was available, this is the e-Fence I purchased 5 years ago. It wasn't the cheapest but then again, see my sig line. Collars have user rechargeable/replaceable batteries.

Rented a small trenching machine to bury the wire. This system has worked flawlessly and neither dog will leave the yard without my express verbal consent. lol

Picture frame Rectangle Carnivore Grass Font

Attachments

#12 ·
I have a Yard Max by Petsafe. It has a normal setting and a yard max setting, the max setting means it will keep shocking the dog until he returns to your yard. Our dog chased a rabbit into the field and he went about 15 feet and had to come back. There is no running through this one. I rented a small trencher and had my 2 boys roll the wire and poke it in with sticks, Only took about 3 hours start to finish to do about 3 acres. You do have to cut your driveway to cross it if it is black top. I filled mine in with black caulk and its looks good. My neighbor has concrete and he ran his wire through a dummy joint and covered with silicone. I also bought heavier gauge wire for less chance of breaks.

#13 ·
We have Invisible fence, works great

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
So who has one for their dog?
Who has installed one?
Best place to buy?

I do not want to fence in my whole yard. I have a 6' wood fence along the rear of my property. My neighbor has a 4' chain link 1/2 way down one side of my yard. I'm on a corner lot and really like the way it appears now. Any insight would be helpful.
Hey Tony.

My parents bought one for when my dog would come home to visit for the summer. Pretty sure the brand was DogWatch. It was expensive at the time but well worth it. They installed it at my parents house.

I liked it so much that I brought the unit down to one of the houses I was renting and buried a new 18 gauge wire in the lawn (using a screw driver lol) and it worked great. Very easy. Brought it back to my parents house when I moved out of that lease.

Like Jared said, they have machines that make it even easier. Well worth it.

Training Frankie on the new fence is a big part too but I'm sure he will pick up on it quick.

#16 ·
I have a Yard Max by Petsafe. It has a normal setting and a yard max setting, the max setting means it will keep shocking the dog until he returns to your yard. Our dog chased a rabbit into the field and he went about 15 feet and had to come back. There is no running through this one. I rented a small trencher and had my 2 boys roll the wire and poke it in with sticks, Only took about 3 hours start to finish to do about 3 acres. You do have to cut your driveway to cross it if it is black top. I filled mine in with black caulk and its looks good. My neighbor has concrete and he ran his wire through a dummy joint and covered with silicone. I also bought heavier gauge wire for less chance of breaks.
X2 on the above. My wife and I bought this one when our 2 labs were pups. There 7 now and the fence still works great. Moved to the country 3 1/2 years ago and just pulled the controller and buried new wire with a rental trencher. 2+ acres fenced in. Just have to check the collars every few months and change batteries as needed.

#18 ·
Well worth it IMO. I'm on a 3rd house with it for a 3rd dog. All doggo's took to training quickly and easily. Ironically was out of town last week and had my oldest taking care of the dog and house. Got home to a collar with no transmitter. Kid's head too far into the phone to realize it was missing. $435 later and I get a brand new one. Can't wait til the spring when I find the lost one..

#20 ·
young dogs figure it out fast, and you can teach em to watch for an exposed wire also, camping? bring a spool and point it out to them and they will get the idea.

#21 ·
Yup. I spent hours installing ours only to have my wife think it was cruel, and she wanted it installed. 🤔

Anyway, she did take our puppy (at the time) around to all the flags a few times a day, without the collar, it worked. To this day (he's now over 11) he still says around the house as good as anyone could ever as for. He loves playing in the back field but he doesn't go out to play unless we go with him. Smart dog.

#22 ·
We have had the Invisible Fence brand system for 30 years and our on 5th dog with it. Has been awesome for us. The key is consistent initial training. Our current golden received 1 correction and knows her boundaries to the inch and now does not wear her collar. Our previous goldens needed there collars on but didn’t test boundaries. We trained them to know it’s ok to leave the yard (without collar on) in 2 locations,On a leash to go for a walk and at our dock to swim or go for boat ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.