Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post,

Have been riding and grooming trails for a long time with a trusty 2004 skandic SWT w 550f and a circa ‘92 Alpine 2. This year spring checked an expedition LE. Hope it comes haha.
Another groomer says I should have gone with the SE due to the stiffer rear suspension. Is it actually stiffer or is it just adjustable on the fly?
cheers, NRT

PS since everyone likes pics and (I didn’t get a reply in the skandic/expy forum) here’s the old alpine

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Howdy. Can't find any data on 2022 models. All I can add is in 2021 the rear torsion springs are different between the LE and SE. Different how, I'm not sure but you can always change out those springs. Good luck!

Reactions: nrt459

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks.

I believe the SE is with the thumb switch air shocks, right? Is there a rear spring that goes as stiff as those doo in case I need it?

I’m worried about steering when towing a heavy groomer

·
Registered
219 Posts
nrt: Love the Alpine pic. And wonder if it is like the ax that used to belong to Abe Lincoln, where its on it's third head and fifth handle. :)

I expect you already know about the other option to changing the springs for increasing the stiffness, but for others reading this....

Adding an ID bushing to a torsion spring is an option for extra stiffness, or a way to get more force if you already have the heaviest spring ---- I ordered some cast bronze bushings for the 2016 MXZ Sport and an other size for the 2014 Skandic WT. I have not installed them yet, so reluctant to suggest a size for ether. This is on my list for the August / September upgrade for both sleds. There are several threads on this subject, and several suggest you leave about 1/4" of clearance between the spring ID and the bushing OD. I'm assuming this is on Diameter, not radius. (I'll let you know )

D. Kirk lists some torsion spring bushings for around $50USD. Or, if you have a lathe and some material - one spring bushing thread had a sketch of a bushing for an earlier generation sled - and suggested material. I'm going with cast Bronze just because.

My sleds both have the strongest BRP springs and were replaced at the start of last season. I'm on the heavy side, and when using the second seat, slightly more spring is needed. So fairly confident the bushings will bring it in.

Send me a ping in late August and I can give you an idea of the load / deflection difference and the end bushing thickness - to give you an idea of effects. I'll also confess if I ended up using the Bronze for fishing weights, and bought the aftermarket bushing.

Or others may chime in with some first hand experience on this alternative.

Keep us posted. :)

_Jack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. I will see how she steers and go from there. Great to know there are options.
nrt: Love the Alpine pic. And wonder if it is like the ax that used to belong to Abe Lincoln, where its on it's third head and fifth handle. :)
Believe it or not the Alpine is all original. Track, seat and all. We still use it every season but not for much now. The Alpine just does a few firewood hauls and the Skandic does the lion's share of the grooming since we got it new in '04. The skandic now has over 21k kms... thus the new Expedition on order...

Here are some action shots of the groomer we pull. A rare time out for the Alpine last season. Might be the last if the new sled comes...

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts