Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

boost junkie
SS is next to the mode switch

OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
Is that reverse by the mode switch?
That switch on lower dash(pic below) to the upper/left of the fuel filler is the Smart-Shox button. It has comfort, sport and sport+ modes for suspension; MachZ(standard) and XRS(optional).

Assume 100% that the reverse button will be same as all RER models, located on the START button making the start button dual function(2nd image below).

Dan

Attachments

Registered
If they use the electronic reverse system that is in the Gen 4 Expedition's it should not be an issue. I believe limit switches were added to the system and it has been rock solid reliable.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
I hope you're right.

The E reverse in the XS chassis is garbage.

Registered
Having 2 cats where I can count on one hand how many times the reverse worked on each machine and on 2 hands how many times it was fixed I have confidence in brp for the reverse. I can live without reverse but its a dang nice feature if it can always work.

Registered
2024 Ski-Doo Renegade X-RS 900 ACE Turbo RR REV Gen5 (wide-design) with Competition Package
I am afraid they did away with the wonderful Rev GEN4 ACE manual reverse lever, at least on the 900 ACE Turbo R. Why, BRP? Why?

If you look at the picture of the 2022 Renegade X-RS 900 ACE Turbo R in the "virtual showroom", you can clearly see it it not there. As Dan has mentioned, the pictures do not lie and what you see at this point is usually how they build them.

If you have been around this forum or around Ski-Doo for awhile, what are two recurring threads relating to problems or problems we have actually encountered: 1. Problems with reverse - and it usually is the four-strokes without the manual lever. 2. Air suspension on the Enduros and Grand Tourings.

The Rev GEN4 manual reverse lever was so close to perfect, why mess with it? I have had three Rev GEN4 900 ACEs now, still own two - one 900 ACE (NA) and one Turbo. They have NEVER not went into reverse or came out of reverse. There are times, however, when you have to lift twice, or jiggle on the lever, blip the throttle or rock the sled a tiny bit to get the gears to easily mesh or whatever. I assume this has to do with how the sled ends up parked and tension on the chain or how the reverse gear is lined up. It was never an issue for me and now second nature or automatic to shift it into reverse. I can see the new system NOT shifting or giving you the error/fault code because of this.

As mentioned, it's not a deal breaker for me, but I wish they had left well enough alone on the reverse.

I was always skeptical of the air suspension as it seemed like another thing to go wrong and not something I need (but I get it would be nice for touring sleds and people that two-up). I have the same sentiments regarding the new Smart-Shox, but I am open to being proven wrong on it.

https://mpembed.com/show/?m=exJSY4ZEYAv&ga=UA-41810877-53&play=1&fbclid=IwAR3sRniPqz6HpZTX2ZTBO7atxme772xuqpBKqCGCyUpUTSTY1Z1YD3DWaqA

Registered
2024 Ski-Doo Renegade X-RS 900 ACE Turbo RR REV Gen5 (wide-design) with Competition Package
One thing I will say about Ski-Doo is that they are constantly tweaking and usually improving each successive model year (except for reverse, SMH). Look at the last 1200s built as compared to the first ones. They were very different machines, even though the platform and engine was largely the same. I see the same happening with the Rev GEN4 900 ACE and 900 ACE Turbos.

Reactions: MX-Z Man

Registered
I am afraid they did away with the wonderful Rev GEN4 ACE manual reverse lever, at least on the 900 ACE Turbo R. Why, BRP? Why?

If you look at the picture of the 2022 Renegade X-RS 900 ACE Turbo R in the "virtual showroom", you can clearly see it it not there. As Dan has mentioned, the pictures do not lie and what you see at this point is usually how they build them.

If you have been around this forum or around Ski-Doo for awhile, what are two recurring threads relating to problems or problems we have actually encountered: 1. Problems with reverse - and it usually is the four-strokes without the manual lever. 2. Air suspension on the Enduros and Grand Tourings.

The Rev GEN4 manual reverse lever was so close to perfect, why mess with it? I have had three Rev GEN4 900 ACEs now, still own two - one 900 ACE (NA) and one Turbo. They have NEVER not went into reverse or came out of reverse. There are times, however, when you have to lift twice, or jiggle on the lever, blip the throttle or rock the sled a tiny bit to get the gears to easily mesh or whatever. I assume this has to do with how the sled ends up parked and tension on the chain or how the reverse gear is lined up. It was never an issue for me and now second nature or automatic to shift it into reverse. I can see the new system NOT shifting or giving you the error/fault code because of this.

As mentioned, it's not a deal breaker for me, but I wish they had left well enough alone on the reverse.

I was always skeptical of the air suspension as it seemed like another thing to go wrong and not something I need (but I get it would be nice for touring sleds and people that two-up). I have the same sentiments regarding the new Smart-Shox, but I am open to being proven wrong on it.

https://mpembed.com/show/?m=exJSY4ZEYAv&ga=UA-41810877-53&play=1&fbclid=IwAR3sRniPqz6HpZTX2ZTBO7atxme772xuqpBKqCGCyUpUTSTY1Z1YD3DWaqA
that manual reverse was right where knee is and a real pita

Registered
I converted my GT to manual reverse (link to thread in sig).

I wonder if the 2022's will be able to be converted using 2021 or previous year G4 manual reverse parts? And if the panels will lend themselves to being cut for the lever? I guess I should open my eyes a little more, next time I'm near a G4.

SkiDoo Guru
I converted my GT to manual reverse (link to thread in sig).

I wonder if the 2022's will be able to be converted using 2021 or previous year G4 manual reverse parts? And if the panels will lend themselves to being cut for the lever? I guess I should open my eyes a little more, next time I'm near a G4.
Mike I''ll have 4 with me when i see you Sat .

Registered
I would prefer mechanical I have seen and been with too many doos that won't come out of reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What causes them to be stuck in reverse? Fuse, relay, mechanical? Can it be fixed on the trail? Thanks for any information as l have no experience with electronic reverse on a 4-stroke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Registered
What causes them to be stuck in reverse? Fuse, relay, mechanical? Can it be fixed on the trail? Thanks for any information as l have no experience with electronic reverse on a 4-stroke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I have yet to see an electronic reverse on a snowmobile that didn't fail at one point or another. I had a friend with a sidewinder ask me why my sled still had the manual reverse. I told him because they work and the electric reverses fail. He said, "that's dumb, I've never had one not go into reverse." As he climbed on his sled and tried to put it in reverse. It failed like clockwork. And we had to drag his sidewinder out backwards.

Registered
I have yet to see an electronic reverse on a snowmobile that didn't fail at one point or another. I had a friend with a sidewinder ask me why my sled still had the manual reverse. I told him because they work and the electric reverses fail. He said, "that's dumb, I've never had one not go into reverse." As he climbed on his sled and tried to put it in reverse. It failed like clockwork. And we had to drag his sidewinder out backwards.
That's the pi55er right there....can't back it out of the trailer cuz it won't go into reverse. :angry2:

Registered

Registered

that manual reverse was right where knee is and a real pita

boost junkie
oh hell ya
John could not believe how good my logs looked (running 25psi)
manual reverse is still available for the gen4
brp needed something for the dealers to fix....lol
cant kill the cash cow
and the SS error codes will be expensive

boost junkie
nytro fan with custom brackets on a precision IC
the fan stops heat soak

21 - 40 of 40 Posts