Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what size fan did you add to your 900t?

a fan is the best way to improve charge air temps

even a larger intercooler still should use a fan for max cooling

Reactions: Tummen34

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Can’t see any fan working better than natural draft over 50mph. That’s the reason cars **** the fans off after a certain mph. These aren’t SXS’s with the intercooler mounted on top of the motor with no airflow.

·
boost junkie
10,604 Posts
over 50 lol

the problem is just that, only works over 50

a fan works when you hit the brakes and when idling where all the turbo heat goes up

riding hard corner to corner its not easy staying over 50 lol

a good fan kit should only be about $100

when you guys start running loggers you will understand said Boost said about the wimpy intercooler

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I have a logger. AIT drops as soon as you start moving again. A fan will do nothing for it unless you sit idle for a while. Now if you could set it up to come on and off at a certain speed it may help some. A fan will become a wall with the cooler in the nose of these sleds once you’re moving. Even a Spal will make no difference in real riding conditions.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
So I've had a chance to review some of my logs. With sled fully warmed up at 170* the IAT sits at 75* at idle. By the time I'm at 35mph it's down to 64*. After a few minutes of normal trail riding the IAT's are at 55*. A 15 second WOT pull starts at 59* and ends at 86* showing 204kpa manifold pressure. It takes 15 seconds to get back down to 70* and another 20 to get back to 58*.

This log was normal trail riding with two WOT pulls 30 seconds apart. Normal trail riding IAT's were 58-60* with a high of 93* on the second pull which was the second pull to 120mph within 30 seconds of each other.

Attachments

·
boost junkie
10,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
charge air temps should stay close to ambient temps not wait 30 sec for a 15 sec burst
a fan blows out the hot engine temps keeps the under hood temps way down

Reactions: trdehmer

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Lmao. In theory yes in the real world no. My water to air cooler wouldn’t keep charge temps at ambient with ice in the cooler. Show us some of your data Chris. Show us this fan keeping charge temps at ambient. Where does this fan push the air out? Through the plastics?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
So I've had a chance to review some of my logs. With sled fully warmed up at 170* the IAT sits at 75* at idle. By the time I'm at 35mph it's down to 64*. After a few minutes of normal trail riding the IAT's are at 55*. A 15 second WOT pull starts at 59* and ends at 86* showing 204kpa manifold pressure. It takes 15 seconds to get back down to 70* and another 20 to get back to 58*.
This log was normal trail riding with two WOT pulls 30 seconds apart. Normal trail riding IAT's were 58-60* with a high of 93* on the second pull which was the second pull to 120mph within 30 seconds of each other.
Just out of curiosity do you by chance remember what the outside air temperature was the day you logged this ?

Thanks.

·
boost junkie
10,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just because the oem intercooler wont hold temps down, does not mean it cant be done

·
Registered
212 Posts
Now a different ad to the mix.

I have added the air radiator kit with the fan.

The radiator sits below the inter cooler in the front of the sled.

I have to have fan turned on at dealer , so i have no real data.

Unless the fan blows air out the front of the sled it can only go

out through the inter cooler.

Fan comes on around 190 degrees (i think i read this is when the ecu turns it on.)

Regardless of when it comes on its blowing warm air out .

Plus when going down the trail its pushing warm air into engine compartment by the radiator

being behind the front bumper.

I would be interesting to see what boost temp is going to be.

I have a 195 tune going in .

I will have to ask Chris at c+t power sports if there is a boost temp in the logs of the tunes.

All was great service from him.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Now a different ad to the mix.

I have added the air radiator kit with the fan.

The radiator sits below the inter cooler in the front of the sled.

I have to have fan turned on at dealer , so i have no real data.

Unless the fan blows air out the front of the sled it can only go

out through the inter cooler.

Fan comes on around 190 degrees (i think i read this is when the ecu turns it on.)

Regardless of when it comes on its blowing warm air out .

Plus when going down the trail its pushing warm air into engine compartment.

I would be interesting to see what boost temp is going to be.

I have a 195 tune going in .

I will have to ask Chris at c+t power sports if there is a boost temp in the logs of the tunes.

All was great service from him.
If you have a flasher with data logging you will be able to see the IAT. That's the same app I posted above.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes i have the hurricane flasher with 175/195/205 flashes.

I was going to add the snow filters to the front of the sled but

want to see how much snow builds up with rad kit.

I set my sled up like a grand touring for two up riding and they

come stock with rad kit .

thank you.

pete.

·
Registered
381 Posts
These sleds run at 165 degrees going down the trail. I can't see that fan having much positive affect if it does't turn on untill 190, By the time these sleds get to 190 degrees, everything is severely heat soaked, and you won't be making any power anyway.
The fan/aux radiator may help temp get back to normal range faster.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I put 3,000 miles on last year in all kinds of conditions and never had any snow buildup. Seems like it’s really random.

·
boost junkie
10,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i bet Peter thinks a auxiliary radiator is a intercooler...????

1 - 20 of 30 Posts