Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Hey guys. ..
Have a sled that needs a repair done. ...
Could buy the parts and fix on my own but will easily outweigh the $500 deductible I have on my policy. ...unless I buy used track etc. ...
So I kinda would like to do the work on my own. ...my question is with state farm of any of you have them. ...
If I go get an estimate from a dealer and say it is 2K....will state farm allow me too do the work on my own and write me a check for $1500 and I can buy my own parts and poor it back the way I want?
Anyone run into this before and have experience?
I know it works like that on home claims like roofs etc....is one can do their own work. ...wondering the same on sleds. ...
Thx

Thought I would get input here before I call my agent tomorrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Yes you can do the work yourself. They will cut you a check minus your deductible and you can buy the parts and pocket the labor.

·
Marine Technician
887 Posts
Yes you just need to send them the full estimate. Also pictures of damage. They even covered my shocks which were discontinued and I could do any shock that I wanted. (Chose fox evols more $ lol) Had this happen to me they even covered powder coat on them because one of my a arms was discontinued (the color). State farm does people right.

Also just so people know if you add accessories to your sled bring the recipts in and they Will add them to the total price of your sled incase of an accident

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Yes, pay for the dealer to put together an estimate. Then fax it along with the cost of the estimate. They will cut you a check minus your deductible. You are allowed to do your own work. I did and I also have State Farm.

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
Yes you can do the work yourself. They will cut you a check minus your deductible and you can buy the parts and pocket the labor.
I had buddy do this but forgot who he had for insurance.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys.....

Anyone else have a story or input?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Gonna have to talk with your agent about this. Some places will cut you the check and other won't. One thing to be sure though, is make sure you have a solid estimate, and know everything that is broken and needs repair. After they cut you the check (and you sign and cash it), you will be up for any unexpected damages from this claim; as it's a closed case then and the difference is on you. Best to talk with your agent, as they may request proof that things have been repaired properly, request damaged parts for their inspection, etc (I've seen this with motorcycles quite a bit).

Just be careful, as I've seen this work in favor of people and against them. For example, a friend of mine just got a new F150; two weeks old and he gets hit in the front passenger side by a Mercedes. 3 weeks in the body shop, everything fixed, and take it for the test drive. Drives weird and has a pull to it, put it on the frame rack and measure it out. Turns out the frame got bent in non visible spot, gotta order a new frame for around $7k. Insurance covered it all, as it was at their preffered shop. If he would have taken the check for the estimate (and done the work privately), he would be screwed as they would not have covered the unseen/unknown damage of the frame.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
^ I disagree because I submitted an amended claim and they took it and wrote me a check for the additional amount. Couldn't tell it was damaged until you ripped into it.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
What happens if they total it?
they will give you the value of the sled and then give you the option to buy it back if you want to repair or part-out the sled.... mine had a new motor which I rebuilt, new shocks from Ian.... the guy even gave me credit for the 2up seat I had picked up used... turn out he was a snowmobiler too.... I think i ended up a check for 3000 plus the sled; 2006 600 sdi...this was in 2012 or 13... I thought I came out pretty good.... but still wish I could of missed that tree! I really liked that sled.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rev SDI -- did the insurance pay for trail permits, registration fees for unused portion and what about extended warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
742 Posts
In Ontario where I had both the Ontario pass and Quebec pass the insurance did not pay for replacement.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
What happens if they total it?
Yes, be careful, my buddy had this backfire on him. He brought it to a dealer to do an estimate and they went CRAZY. Seat had a small rip from years ago and they included a new seat in the estimate among other things. New Hood decals and everything- like a $7000 estimate. Ended up totaling the sled when all the accident required was a $1000 worth of work. So now if they total it, you have to either buy it from them or refuse the coverage. He ended up buying a new sled when all he wanted was to cover his accident.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts