Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Instrument cluster with random restarts

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Polar Snow 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wondering if anyone here has experienced random instrument restarts on Etecs? Particularly 600 with the small lcd display.

I've had this happen like 6-7 times over 4 years on my 600.

On my sled it has only occured with sled at normal operating temp and idling.

Suddenly the instrument cluster "reboots" needles go to stop and back, warning lights go on for a second, and I get 2 DESS beeps, exactly as it will when you start the sled.

However, engine does not miss a beat, and DESS is fully seated. Seems like the power to the cluster go out for a second. But I've not been able to locate any cable/connector issues yet...
Any ideas?

#2 ·
Mine started doing that when I cleaned all the electrical connections when trying to diagnose a different problem. Put it back together without di electric grease and it would randomly reboot exactly like what yours is doing. Take connections apart (one on cluster for sure) clean them with electrical contact cleaner then apply a generous amount of dielectric grease in between the connectors and squeeze them together. That should solve your issue....if not than I would find out if you have some bare wire somewhere that is grounding or shorting on a part of the frame or among other worn wires. Good luck

#4 ·
I had a 09 800r do exactly what you are describing. I went thru every wire cleaned an greased an t got less random but never went away. I also had speed sensor issues like I went thru 1 or 2 in a 1000 mile season, I never did figure it out. I sold the sled an hear it is still doing it. My next thing was to replace the display. I feel your frustration, I pulled the motor an no change!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.