Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing new rings in my 03 800, i measured the old base gasket and i'm installing one of the same thickness. the service manual calls for loctite 518 to seal the base gasket which is a paste gasket sealant. do i need this stuff ?? also the ring end gap on the new rings is .016 (which is the spec min) on one cylinder, but the other cylinder is .014. do you just file off some of the ring end ???

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yes you can just use you wife/girlfriends finger nail file. couple of swipes is good for 0.002!
I didn't use the loctite 518 I guess we'll see. (mine is a race sled so I'm sure I'll be into it before the average person.

Welcome to doo talk

·
Registered
23 Posts
maine800x said:
I'm installing new rings in my 03 800, i measured the old base gasket and i'm installing one of the same thickness. the service manual calls for loctite 518 to seal the base gasket which is a paste gasket sealant. do i need this stuff ?? also the ring end gap on the new rings is .016 (which is the spec min) on one cylinder, but the other cylinder is .014. do you just file off some of the ring end ???
[snapback]689057[/snapback]​
SHould be ok with that, I'd say those tolerances are close enough. One thing I can't say enough, check, double check the taper on the ring, make sure that is facing upwards. Also, when you set the cylinder's in, the direction of the steering post is VERY important when setting the cylinder's in. I fought mine, hopefully you have another set of hands there to hold cylinders. Oh, another thing you might consider, I always oil the cylinders up good after installing, pulling the pistons up and down a few times before firing, moving the oil around. After that don't do what I did, leave the good plugs in the sled, put some old one's in there, she's going to run bad, pull them out after a little rough running and then install your good one's back into it. I dropped my jets down to at this time, YAHOOO. Check your valves as long as you have cylinder's out. I re-used my base gasket, works fine, sled has 2k on it. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts