Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Oh, Man ! I guess I'm not finished then.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
put # 17 studs in every hole on exp sport took just over an hour. Pretty easy job, hope they hold up as well as ice attack . Doing alum. angle brackets on rear seat so it will be easy to take on and off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used screws I love the grip. last year nearly went over a cliff after I spun out on the ice climbing a hill.

the sled started going backwards under power and I tipped over. the handel bar poked through the icey crust

and stopped the sled but I was still sliding down on my snow pants and boots. finaly made it back to sled and used

shovel to chop divits in ice to get traction to get rest of way up.my hands are still shaking from that one.

now I have screws but probly wont try that hill again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own at 2015 Skandic WT 600 etec. I put studboy hill climb ice screws in my sled. So far so good.

I've only got 110km on the sled, mostly trail riding but probably 10km of road riding. They grip like crazy for breaking and acceleration.

I did install the tunnel protectors before studding the track.

Will try and get photos shortly.

·
7,718 Posts
After using several brands of ice screw/lug studs in many different sleds I would never use them again.

Under heavy use the shanks will crack off as the lugs flex, then the heads will throw out. I have never had any serious damage caused by a thrown head, but I have seen some pretty nasty tunnel gouges from their departure. After using automotive studs and seeing how well they are secured and how tough they are, I have been impressed.

Of course, this is what I have observed in my conditions and in my area.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
about $300.... but most tire shops have them and will do it pretty cheap. I just had two sleds to do and wanted to do it on my own schedule....

·
Registered
885 Posts
OK, so I sucked it up and bought a gun, feeder and a box of #16's. By the time I watched youtube to figure out how to use it, dug out the hydraulic lift, stopped for a coffee and put 278 (sound right?) studs in my work SWT it took me about 1.5 hours. I'll stud my new SWT, a few buddies and charge a few guys $100 and voila...a new tool in the box. A Windex bottle with water and a few drops of soap really help. Once I started using that, I only had to break out the hammer for about every 10th stud. I was also meticulously cleaning the holes (2 year old track) for the first 20 or so. After that...just started banging away and if I got one that didn't seat...use the vice grips to remove, clean the hole, spray water and bango...done. This is far from rocket science, but oddly rewarding not to have to drag the machine somewhere to have someone else do the work. I've got a 900ACE SWT to stud over the lunch hour. I think I may have to test drive!!

·
7,718 Posts
OK, so I sucked it up and bought a gun, feeder and a box of #16's. By the time I watched youtube to figure out how to use it, dug out the hydraulic lift, stopped for a coffee and put 278 (sound right?) studs in my work SWT it took me about 1.5 hours. I'll stud my new SWT, a few buddies and charge a few guys $100 and voila...a new tool in the box. A Windex bottle with water and a few drops of soap really help. Once I started using that, I only had to break out the hammer for about every 10th stud. I was also meticulously cleaning the holes (2 year old track) for the first 20 or so. After that...just started banging away and if I got one that didn't seat...use the vice grips to remove, clean the hole, spray water and bango...done. This is far from rocket science, but oddly rewarding not to have to drag the machine somewhere to have someone else do the work. I've got a 900ACE SWT to stud over the lunch hour. I think I may have to test drive!!
Be nice to her!

NOT REALLY!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Had them send me a sample a while ago. Ended up going with stud gun and studs. Didn't like the size of those threads chewing up the lugs.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
When I installed my tire studs, they didnt look like they would do much. Until you try and back into your garage with a fresh set of carbides lol. Those little tire studs shred concrete pretty good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi folks, my first post here ever. Hopefully there will be more when I have some experience in the snow. So much great info from you guys!

My abbreviated backstory: I picked up a 2015 SWT 900 ACE last month for use at our cabin on Diamond Lake, Oregon (elevation 5,183'). It has been 15 years or so since my last sled back when I lived in the U.P. of Michigan (1994 indy Sport 440). I imagine this will be a huge upgrade, albeit quite a different sled and am totally looking forward to it. Stoked to have the tow truck of snowmobiles! I intend to use this for cabin access, ice fishing, wood, beer and gear hauling, and for sled snowboarding on Mt Bailey (elevation 8,376). Sled snowboarding access on Mt Bailey is basically riding up and down on a groomed trail 5 miles and 3200' vertical the whole time, except for some off trail fun. Also plan on doing a bit of backcountry camping and exploring in the future. I really love all the threads on tow behind cargo selds too and hope to make a siglin/cross fox type sled in the future, perhaps for next year.

Usually we would have ten feet of snow on the ground but unfortunately Oregon is experiencing the lowest snowfall year ever and I have not been able to take it out yet. Nothing on the ground at all at the cabin. With the way things look, I might not be able to use it at all this year. Boo hoo! Aside from going to the garage to sit on it, I keep myself occupied by reading about all your snow adventures this year. Definitely jealous of all you East coasters. I am taking this time to get familiar with everything on the sled and getting accessories mounted and such.

Anyway in regards to this post; I hemmed and hawed on putting in automotive studs before I found this post. That convinced me it would be a good idea. I was going to buy a box of #16's and have to local tire place install them. However, I am loathe to pay others what I can do for myself. I got lucky when I searched for a stud gun on Craigslist. Nice rebuilt gun for $60 and the guy gave me a big tub full of a large assortment of studs included a big box of #16. Most of the way through putting them on now. It takes awhile and is fairly tiring on the hands I must say. One question though. I thought I read somewhere here that folks were turning their track by hand. Tried that and there is no way mine will spin by hand. I had it in neutral and tried removing the belt as well to no effect. Is this normal? I have just been starting it up and spinning the track a bit at a time to expose a few more paddles to stud.

For now all I can do is dream and hope that I will be able to play with my new toy soon. Thanks to all for the good info and a place to live vicariously through others fun and adventures while I wait for snow and prepare for next year. Cheers!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Both my SWTs could turn the track by hand. I even had to put the brake on to keep it from turning with the pressure of the stud gun. One was brand new and had never seen snow, the other was two years old. Your track must be too tight, or your parking brake is on......

21 - 40 of 41 Posts