Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally dug the SWT out of the trailer and have started to teach myself how to install automotive type tire studs. It came with the pre-drilled holes for studs in the lugs of the track. I ordered a stud gun and some #16 studs and fired up the air compressor. The 2013 sled has a hundred miles on it, so the track has been in the dirt some. I have tried drilling out the holes to get them clean, and might try an air gun as well. Seems to be working OK. Gonna be a lot of cleaning and studding, but shouldn't be too bad. The 2015 SWT will be arriving soon, and that will be a clean track. Should have the hang of it by then....

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the gun......

Attachments

·
7,718 Posts
Perfect job, good work. Looks exactly like my installations. You will like them if you have been running a bare track up to now.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a career I'd like to have, but it's going ok. About halfway done with a sore shoulder....(still a weak rotator cuff 11 months after surgery). About half go in perfect. The rest need a little adjustment with a hammer to set them right or straighten them out. Should help a lot on the lake ice and slick spots on the trails.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just picked up my 2015 expy LE 900. Track is predrilled for automotive studs. Looking to stud track myself and I have the gun. Does anyone know what size stud to use in a 2015 sled. Dealer didn't know. Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. Same track style as my '13

·
Registered
885 Posts
Cripes, I ordered a box of 16's last week. Guess I'll have both 16's and 17's on hand for anyone in the ULM area who wants a track studded! Not sure of pricing yet because I want to see how much of a PITA it is first. Maybe I'll stud the work SWT this weekend to try it out.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
16 s work fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The expedition sport has 1.5" track. Do you still use a #16 stud. I can get a deal on #17 studs will they work okay?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used 186 studs doing a 2/4 pattern avoiding the center rows to clear the heat exchanger on my SWT.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Studded my friends 2014 Expedition Sport 900 with #17s today.

Took about 300 studs.

7e19f34371ac77c3daa6b6a91a38a48d.jpg
How long did it take you to install studs ? Also did you use tunnel protectors ? I am picking up my exp sport 900 tomorrow. Dealer is installing heavy duty front bumper and skid plate today.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Did it over a couple of nites in the shop. Probably less than two hours total for my 186 studs.

No tunnel protectors, but no studs in the middle either......

·
7,718 Posts
I have a Skandic WT 600Etec and a Skandic SWT 600ACE with #16 automotive studs in every hole. No tunnel protectors are req'd.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts