Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Interesting. The only thing that concerns me is how much flex those paddles can take when pulling something heaving on a packed trail. The weight of the sled alone will crush them down and how long that will last is any ones guess. The new Cobra design is clearly more like the older style tracks but the paddles or lugs are rather thin and tapered. I never knew any one that liked the ripsaw track but it does allow one to stud where the new cobra stye i doubt you could stud it for a skandic.

The available choice of tracks for WT utility sleds these days is i am sorry to say... Embarrassing.

Escargo argo tracks is what we need and they do make 20" and 24". (LOL!). Just kidding.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't think this is the "right" track for towing heavy on PACKED trails. I don't know it is not, and the weight of the sled does not flatten the paddles out - they stand up under the weight of the sled - but if lots of deep snow is not a normal part of the forecast, this is probably not the right track.

CO/western North America/high alpine, though, it is. Pretty-to-very sure about it.

Heck, I'd be happy if it were 2" or 2.25" :).

Iain

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Not this coming season but perhaps the next i will get one. Looking forward to seeing how much wear resistance this new cobra track has. I did work on a few tundras with 2" paddle tracks. Fun to ride in the powder but dangerous on hard pack, the back end of the sled was all over the place.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
the back end of the sled was all over the place.
I have noticed this as well with my 1.8" on my WT. I attributed it to the agressive Simmons Gen 2's that I have up front. Maybe it is a combination of the track as well as too much ski pressure, but I noted that the back end would wash out much easier when riding agressively. I couldn't say whether it is one or the other as I installed both components at the same time. Good point though.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The tundras i worked on had stock skis. The back end fishtailing with the 2" track lugs on hard pack is similar to an unloaded pickup truck in 2wd on a gravel road. If you put two people or heavy enough cargo on the modified tundra the fish tailing on hard pack subsided quick a bit. For me it's the the sled is riding on the thin tips of the lugs and not getting enough contact with the ground. One little bump and the thrust went in another direction.

I have noticed this as well with my 1.8" on my WT. I attributed it to the agressive Simmons Gen 3's that I have up front. Maybe it is a combination of the track as well as too much ski pressure, but I noted that the back end would wash out much easier when riding agressively. I couldn't say whether it is one or the other as I installed both components at the same time. Good point though.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts