Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I thought this track was stock on the swt over in Sweden? Not 100 % sure but thought I read it somewhere last year.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It should. Myself and a friend put 1.8" Cobra tracks on our WT last year. I changed my drivers from an 8 to 7 tooth for gearing purposes, but my friend stuck with the stock 8 tooth drivers. He didn't have a problem fitting it in there.

Speaking from experience, be prepared to either remove or modify the anti stab idler wheels at the front of the rails. They line up with the extra knobs on the inside of the track. I opted to move my wheels toward the center of the track by modifying the shaft, but I believe my friend took his off all together.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Mine is not on yet, but I'll post with findings.

Allegedly, it fits the XU SWT without modification. Not sure; my ice screws hit the tunnel near the snowflap now.

Will certainly post once it is on!

Iain

·
Registered
685 Posts
Planning on selling the old track. "Old," as it has <400 miles on it. I cannot imagine that I'd ever want short lugs again, and while the ice screws came in handy a couple of times last year, the flappy-paddle mountain sleds always got there, too. Last year was the iciest I've _ever_ seen here. We just don't get much ice; the only place we see it is on groomed/packed roads - singletrack sled trails never get icy, and if they do, ride a different path. I've never seen the snow surface get icy, like it can on the east coast. A sled will pretty much always break through enough to hook up here.

I've got the new track out of the box - it looks to me as though you could conceptually drill holes and use screws in the end of these paddles. I'm not planning on it, but I bet it could be done. Automotive studs....eh. The bottom of a stud is about the same size as the paddle itself.

Might put it on tomorrow. Have to do a little musical chairs in the garage to make the room, but planning on getting it on tomorrow.

Iain

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I am going to wait for a while. My current track has plenty of life left in it and i wonder how floppy the new 1&3/4" track will be when hauling on a packed trail.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Old track is almost out - first Rev-type trackswap for me, first one with a transmission, about 2 hours work into it so far, everything is unbolted, just have to get the stupid heavy track out of the way, get the skid out, track out, position new track, etc.

I've only swapped tracks on ZX and S chassis sleds. They're a LOT easier. ehhh, now that I know more, I guess this is not too bad, but the brake caliper/bearing carrier/all-in-one threw me for a bit of a loop.

Old track has <400 miles on it, as I guessed. BARELY - 396.4.

What does everyone think the original track is worth? It is in great shape, no torn lugs, minimal non-snow use, etc. Ice screws were put in at about 200 miles, a couple (like one or two) have fallen out, the rest still look sharp and in good shape.

I'll get some good close-up pictures of the new track with studding in mind. Should have it in tomorrow, will get it on snow briefly Saturday to make sure things don't rub, then a longer ride Sunday.

Sunday, I'll be looking for as much deep snow as I can, but not likely to find a ton. I'm interested as to what it is like on packed trails - I have no real frame of reference. My mountain sleds are all 2"+ paddle, I know what the SWT was like with the stock track. We shall see.

The ice screws hit the rear of the tunnel at the snowflap. This one is GOING to hit at the snowflap, no secret there. Might enlarge the hole in the drop bracket, which will raise the tunnel 1" or so - it'd fix the contact at the rear, but at what cost? More ski pressure, although that's not a bad thing in my head - the skis are LIGHT on this thing.

Oh - anti stab wheels at the front of the rail - I don't KNOW yet, but I cannot see why they'd be a problem - the inner row of bumps is the same dimensionally as the inner row on the stock track - ???? I'm not anticipating any issues there.

More as I know it. I do know I'm not a huge fan of swapping tracks. I've only done it a few times, which has a lot to do with it, but still, ick. At least on the mountain sleds, the tracks are a LOT lighter.

Iain

·
7,718 Posts
Heavy girls aren't they? Everything is a little heavier, a little longer, a little harder to remove/install. After working on so many WT's and SWT's, I had the chance to do a track swap on the wife's GTX last winter and I laughed all the way through it as things could so easily be manipulated.

I'd say the used sneaker should get you around $500, depending on the number if applications in your area. The good news is that this track is still a 2.52" pitch / 156" length so it'll fit every SWT made.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The ice screws hit the rear of the tunnel at the snowflap. This one is GOING to hit at the snowflap, no secret there. Might enlarge the hole in the drop bracket, which will raise the tunnel 1" or so - it'd fix the contact at the rear, but at what cost? More ski pressure, although that's not a bad thing in my head - the skis are LIGHT on this thing.

Oh - anti stab wheels at the front of the rail - I don't KNOW yet, but I cannot see why they'd be a problem - the inner row of bumps is the same dimensionally as the inner row on the stock track - ???? I'm not anticipating any issues there.
I had the same contact on the rear portion of my sled. I ended up putting the BRP tunnel protector kit in, however some guys here have said that they are/will install short lengths of UHMW as guards back in that area. That should be all you need.

The 1.8" track that I have on my WT had an extra row of bumps inside it, ie 3 rows of bumps per side. The inner most row of bumps is what caused the trouble for me. If yours only has 2 rows per side, then lucky you.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The 1.8" track that I have on my WT had an extra row of bumps inside it, ie 3 rows of bumps per side. The inner most row of bumps is what caused the trouble for me. If yours only has 2 rows per side, then lucky you.
Both tracks have three rows of bumps - one on either side of the window, then a third row ~1" inboard of those - both the stock track and replacement have the same 3 rows per side, so...I think I'm good!

Iain

·
Registered
685 Posts
Heavy girls aren't they? Everything is a little heavier, a little longer, a little harder to remove/install. After working on so many WT's and SWT's, I had the chance to do a track swap on the wife's GTX last winter and I laughed all the way through it as things could so easily be manipulated. I'd say the used sneaker should get you around $500, depending on the number if applications in your area. The good news is that this track is still a 2.52" pitch / 156" length so it'll fit every SWT made.
Yup, heavier, more stubborn, wider, huger, har. Fun though, in some weird way.

Rear springs are WAY!!!! stiffer than my mountain sleds. Yow!

Back at it. I think I need to get the rear of the tunnel higher to make getting the skid out easier.

Thanks!

Iain

·
7,718 Posts
Yup, heavier, more stubborn, wider, huger, har. Fun though, in some weird way.

Rear springs are WAY!!!! stiffer than my mountain sleds. Yow!

Back at it. I think I need to get the rear of the tunnel higher to make getting the skid out easier.

Thanks!

Iain
On her side makes it easier. Not my first big girl har har har

·
Registered
685 Posts
Track is on. Pictures tomorrow, maybe.

Notes:

1. 13 XU SWT = no problems at all with anti-stab idler wheels. Stuffed skid back in, bolted it all back together, no problem.

2. All KINDS of room - worst clearance issue I found was directly above drivers on the center paddle (every third bar), about 3/4".

3. Not sure why the ice screws were hitting the tunnel at the snowflap. I'm thinking the articulating skid flapping around must be how it made contact. With me (heavy) standing on rear of the rails and bouncing, it is NOWHERE NEAR close. Going to up the preload on the articulator-spring.

Pretty straightforward, all told. Probably took me (us - had a helper tonight) 3.5 hours total. Could do it faster next time, but I hope there is no "next time," not a whole lot of fun to change.

I'm going to ride it a few miles tomorrow just to make sure all is right in its world. I should be able to find some unconsolidated snow to mess with, but nothing that will really challenge it, that'll come later. I should learn something, though.

Iain

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have some pics of the first part - some of the brake, which was the unfamiliar thing to me.

Have not had time to resize/clean up/label, but I will.

Rode it briefly today - so far, so very, very good.

Longer ride tomorrow. Will post more.

Iain

1 - 20 of 45 Posts