Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a temp gauge on my 02 mxz 700. As I was installing it and screwing the bracket into place the needle start to move up as I tighten the bracket and the tighter I went the higher the needle went. Has this happen to anyone before, and for those who have installed or have a temp gauge where does it seem to run at at idle. I left the screws loose and started it up (it was on the trailer and about 45 degrees C) and after about 3 or 4 minutes the needle was about half way up the gauge at idle. Does this seem right or is the gauge messed up. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
45,510 Posts
nellie2110 said:
I just installed a temp gauge on my 02 mxz 700. As I was installing it and screwing the bracket into place the needle start to move up as I tighten the bracket and the tighter I went the higher the needle went. Has this happen to anyone before, and for those who have installed or have a temp gauge where does it seem to run at at idle. I left the screws loose and started it up (it was on the trailer and about 45 degrees C) and after about 3 or 4 minutes the needle was about half way up the gauge at idle. Does this seem right or is the gauge messed up. Thank you for any help.
[snapback]682725[/snapback]​
Did you get the kit? Or did you just buy the gauge and stick it in? If you did that you need to get the right temp sensor, right now your sensor eaither says hot or not, because of the idiot light...If you have the kit I would say check the wiring, the bracket shouldn't really affect anything that has to do with the gauges operation.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I installed a temp gauge and sender, did not have any issues when installing it. I would suspect you have a problem with the gauge. As far as temp goes, mine only reads about 1/4 to 1/3 on the gauge when riding, and only comes up higher when idleing for an extended period of time. This has held true on both my 600 and 800.

·
lay the smack down
2,961 Posts
We installed one over the summer.. runs about 1/4 all the time... I have only ever seen it move once when i let it idle for a long time...
We also put one in FAST_FREDDIE's 600 this past summer, This past Saturdays ride the thing jumped up to 3/4 into the red... he shut 'er down but it just didn't seem to do anything.... mine was normal..1/4 all day... do these things sometimes mess up and need replacing?.. does not look like he lost any fluid or anything else...

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
The needle was moving when you were installing it, without the sled running??? Maybe it was because you had the hood open and gravity was pulling it up? I've never looked to see if mine moves when the sled is off/hood is open.
Mine usually runs at 1/4 to 1/3 under normal conditions, maybe close to 1/2 if I'm really running it hard. After my rebuild this summer, temp guage showed I was running hot. It was right, I had a couple of loose hoseclamps and I was sucking in a little air.. fixed the host clamps, burped air bubbles again, and now it's back to 1/4-1/3 under most conditions..

·
Professional Spark Plug Gapper
16,615 Posts
i just installed the kit (gauge and sensor) on my 03 600HO and i have the same results as most the others, around 1/4 to 1/3 riding and it climbs as it idles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.