Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna install my skid this weekend and was wondering why I just can't go buy regular old aluminum or stainless rivets. Do the Doo rivets come painted black on the heads? Are they stainless? Afraid if I get std aluminum rivets, they will vibrate and I'll get that black/grey mess on the yellow skid.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think mine came with Stainless rivets. And they were not painted black. I don't think aluminum would be bad. Worse case drill them out and replace them. I'd have to say the body was 3/16 to 1/4 and the head diameter was 1/2 (if I recall). I put the backing washers on everywhere except the ones through the 1/8 aluminum pan. Hope it helps.

PS - the stainless "pop" rivets about "popped" my arms to install. Man they were tough (used a manual rivet gun).

·
Highlife says: "UpAndOver Baby!"
1,281 Posts
I agree with Stang ... use bolts and washers on the front tub area and then use the rivets under the engine area. I have seen many rivets work loose and have to be replaced but the bolts hang in there are are trouble free.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you have to remove your exhaust to get to the holes when using SS nuts/bolts? Did you start in the front or underneath?

High Life said:
I agree with Stang ... use bolts and washers on the front tub area and then use the rivets under the engine area. I have seen many rivets work loose and have to be replaced but the bolts hang in there are are trouble free.
[snapback]705072[/snapback]​

·
Highlife says: "UpAndOver Baby!"
1,281 Posts
Magnum600SDI said:
Did you have to remove your exhaust to get to the holes when using SS nuts/bolts? Did you start in the front or underneath?

High Life said:
[snapback]705109[/snapback]​
I used a car floor jack to hold up the skid plate tightn against the sled. I did not have to remove the pipe, you have plenty of room to make up the bolts .. I use nyloc bolts to eliminate vibration problems.

·
Registered
683 Posts
High Life said:
Magnum600SDI said:

High Life said:
[snapback]705109[/snapback]​
I used a car floor jack to hold up the skid plate tightn against the sled. I did not have to remove the pipe, you have plenty of room to make up the bolts .. I use nyloc bolts to eliminate vibration problems.
[snapback]705143[/snapback]​
I as well used stainless bolts for the front 4 holes and rivets for the back two. The odd time you do need to drop the front of the belly pan for access so bolts do make that a little easier. I used pan head (rounded) sockets (allen) bolts with stainless washers and nyloc nuts on the back side of them.

I would remove the exhaust - only takes 1 min to remove and saves some aggrevation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.