Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Was riding near Black Lake over the weekend and when getting fueled up at The Bluffs Resort, woman filling us up said she had heard of people taking the insert of the filler neck out to make it easier to fill up without all the back-splash when holding the pump nozzle inside while filling up. Anyone done this? Is it a good/bad idea? Is the insert to keep fuel from sloshing out while riding? Anyone with any thoughts on the idea of removing the insert or just leaving it in?!?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Not sure the exact reason but i think it needs to be there. if you stick the nossel in at an angle, it works fine for me to fill up.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
bigf150 said:
Not sure the exact reason but i think it needs to be there. if you stick the nossel in at an angle, it works fine for me to fill up.
[snapback]690327[/snapback]​
i would leave it. the filling at an angle works great, never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Ski-DooD said:
Was riding near Black Lake over the weekend and when getting fueled up at The Bluffs Resort, woman filling us up said she had heard of people taking the insert of the filler neck out to make it easier to fill up without all the back-splash when holding the pump nozzle inside while filling up. Anyone done this? Is it a good/bad idea? Is the insert to keep fuel from sloshing out while riding? Anyone with any thoughts on the idea of removing the insert or just leaving it in?!?
[snapback]690308[/snapback]​
Now we are analyzing the way to fuel a sled! You must be as anal as Jerry Seinfeld

·
Registered
568 Posts
i took mine out, and agree with the results, less air pockets and i can get about a litre more in, every litre counts on these small tanks = more fun time, lol

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
TeamScream said:
Now we are analyzing the way to fuel a sled! You must be as anal as Jerry Seinfeld

[snapback]690428[/snapback]​
Would that be Anal Retentive or Anal Expresive?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I was wanting to take mine out mostly for the reason of being able to see the fuel level easier. After dark it's a pain to see how full it is. I wish they could have made a filler neck the size of the one on the newer Cats. Reminds me of the old Corvettes with the filler on the rear deck, you could almost crawl in there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ski-DooD said:
[snapback]690308[/snapback]​
I ripped it out of my 03 (a 600HO), but haven't yet on my 06 (an SDI). I really needed the extra fuel capacity, as I was riding with an SDI and an RX1. I never had any problems.

Be aware that the engineers put it in there to prevent you from topping it off-- it's important to keep an air pocket at the top to compensate for expansion. However, if you're filling up on the trail (meaning that you'll be burning fuel immediately), there's obviously very little need for expansion.

Also, keeping the fuel level below the top of the neck means that there is less chance that you'll slosh fuel out if you sit on the seat or climb change the sled's angle by climbing on or off the rear end.

My recommendation: remove the white plastic thingey, but keep these things in mind.

·
Wasting money wisely
1,632 Posts
Pulling the hamster tunnel makes it easier to see when the tank is completely full. Just be careful not to point the gas nozzle too far backwards or you could damage the mechanical gauge. The gauge mechanism is not too far from the gas opening.

I'm not saying that's what caused mine to fall apart, but I could see how removing the hamster tunnel could make it easier to damage the mechanism.

Mine fell apart

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
The gauges are useless anyways

Should just leave it out and put a little sight glass in there and a little LED light...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Take the insert out and buy a gas cap from a DS650 4wheeler (I think) should have a vent in the top of the cap like a dirt bike. Pull off the vent line that is at the top of the neck. Get a vacuum plug and cover the old vent . You will now be able to fill the tank all the way to the top. It helps to push down on the rear end of the sled to get air out of the back of the tank.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
Why would you want/need to replace the cap with a vented one then plug the vent?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
06MXZXRenegade800 said:
Why would you want/need to replace the cap with a vented one then plug the vent?
[snapback]691061[/snapback]​
If you plug the vent and keep the original gas cap that has no vent in the cap, how is your tank going to breeth? You need air to enter the tank for the fuel to flow. You would be creating a vacuum in the tank if it cant breeth.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I pulled mine and now I get an extra 1/2 gallon in there, there is tons of space under that thing. It looks better and never leaks. I used a screwdriver to push it away then the needle nose lock grips. It takes a good tug but it will come out fine.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
But your plugging the vent on the cap so what good does it do?

Also why would their be an issue with the original vent lines, they shouldnt siphon with the way the hose is routed so high and the valves that are in it...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
[quote name='06MXZXRenegade800' date='Jan 31 2006, 08:24 PM']
But your plugging the vent on the cap so what good does it do?

There is no vent on the stock cap. what you plug is the vent at the top of the filler neck. This is on the outside of the tank, at the top of the neck, behind the airbox. When you pull out the white plastic piece, you loose the air pocket for that vent line. Now what happens you loose gas out the vent line because you fill the tank to the top. To fix this and get the most gas in the tank you can you plug that line and install a gas cap that has a vent in it like a dirt bike.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts