Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...has anyone had crack in inner chain case around the adjuster?...and if so how did you fix it?

·
boost junkie
10,662 Posts
try to weld it

because its a mofo to change

I have a good used 14

dont buy a new one

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
No I have not . But if I did, I'd replace the chaincase. Is it magnesium? I know the cover is for sure. But guess the case itself might be aluminum. Not sure welding is an option frankly if it is magnesium.

Anyway procedure for replacing it is outlined in the service manual...probably $300 to $350 in parts needed from dealer to do it. In summary you need to grind rivets off to remove the case, then replace rivets with nuts & bolts, and a separate backing plate needs to be purchased that's not on your sled now.

It is quite a lot of labor.

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
The problem with the case is it can be cracked by the adjuster while in reverse. If you stop suddenly while in reverse or hit the brake hard it puts a lot of force on the adjuster. All that force on the chain is transmitted to what I think is a very fragile part of the case. Guys should be very careful when using reverse and do it slowly without any sudden jolts. I think this is a poor design by Doo.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The problem with the case is it can be cracked by the adjuster while in reverse. If you stop suddenly while in reverse or hit the brake hard it puts a lot of force on the adjuster. All that force on the chain is transmitted to what I think is a very fragile part of the case. Guys should be very careful when using reverse and do it slowly without any sudden jolts. I think this is a poor design by Doo.
It this an issue only with the 4 strokes, or are the 800 etec chaincase also vulnerable?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If you end up having to replace the case, a helpful and timesaving hint: use a cold chisel or large punch and hammer to break the large rivets loose. Put the chisel on the side of the rivet, near the top and give it a whack or two and they snap right off. Same goes for replacing the S and or E modules.

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
No it doesn't...

Chain is always a direct link to the track. When the track turns backwards, the chain goes backwards. 2 stroke/4 stroke doesn't matter.
Yeah i forgot about the sliding gear and fork....Had a brainfart sorry guys.

lol

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
It this an issue only with the 4 strokes, or are the 800 etec chaincase also vulnerable?
All,you need to do is take the cover off the chain case and look at the chain and the adjuster. When going forward all the stress is on the chain as its fully stretched. When going in reverse all the stress is where the chain wraps around the adjuster and the adjuster will take the hit instead of the chain. I would bet if going in reverse fast and suddenly stopping hard when the track hits the snow flap you could crack the case.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Took a chunk out of mine at the bottom from a broken chain and a little lack of observation on my part. Wasn't comfortable with welding it so I replaced it also. If I recall it wasn't to bad except for 1 bolt that is kind of in a tight spot with the engine blocking it. If I recall I needed n extra set of hands, some duct tape and a box wrench to make it happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts