Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Free weekend is a great time to watch your speed in Quebec. LOTS of check points.
I live in QC and I don t go out during the free weekend unless its cold out -20c or lower. Its just too dangerous with all the rookies out especially or nice days. In the open fields its fine but in the woods its sketchy. Trails get whooped out quickly due to traffic. Hoping on the Z could stay on the gaz through it like my 850 xrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can post pictures all day long of mint trails and club sandwiches too.... lol. From where the OP lives, I would definitely consider the RAP ride, and extend it by riding north/west. Much closer to you drive-wise. That alone will encompass about 3 days, depending on your group.

Why anyone would drive further to QC from MI, is beyond me. Quebec riding is great, but so is Ontario's. And no, the Refuge murders were not in 1972. And snowmobile theft is not a "Montreal" issue. Even the FCMQ recognizes the theft epidemic out there and publishes a portal of trusted hotels "for the sake of your snowmobile". Lol

This is the difference between people who actually live here and ride, and keyboard sledders. Trails are great in QC also, but in Ontario your truck and sleds won't get stolen, and accommodations/amenities/food/services are much better. There is no comparison. QC is a bit lower-end in this regard.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Stop beating a dead horse with your stories. Quebec is awesome and so is Ontario, but Ontario does not have the Gaspésie Peninsula with far less traffic and spectacular scenery! You are obviously a new member (Few Posts) and sure are ruffling the feathers of many. Tone it down a little, we all know the theft problem can exist where ever you go. That is why you should have insurance and keep your eyes open. When ever we where in Ontario or Quebec (Several Trips over the decades) we always felt safe personally and with our sleds and equipment.

Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Many great suggestions. Here is what I create as a detailed plan. I just finished the draft 2022 QC plan (has 2 day trips built in to it, which allow for adjustments to the plan should storms hold us up, distances are KM). Once my group Ok's the plan, I distribute the hotel list with expected costs. We don't carry fuel, which has only stung us once in over 20 years.

Attachments

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,819 Posts
I can post pictures all day long of mint trails and club sandwiches too.... lol. From where the OP lives, I would definitely consider the RAP ride, and extend it by riding north/west. Much closer to you drive-wise. That alone will encompass about 3 days, depending on your group.

Why anyone would drive further to QC from MI, is beyond me. Quebec riding is great, but so is Ontario's. And no, the Refuge murders were not in 1972. And snowmobile theft is not a "Montreal" issue. Even the FCMQ recognizes the theft epidemic out there and publishes a portal of trusted hotels "for the sake of your snowmobile". Lol

This is the difference between people who actually live here and ride, and keyboard sledders. Trails are great in QC also, but in Ontario your truck and sleds won't get stolen, and accommodations/amenities/food/services are much better. There is no comparison. QC is a bit lower-end in this regard.
RAP tour you're joking right? You want him to come and ride the RAP? Its terrible down the west side. :rolleyes: credibility = gone... Please just stop with the nonsense stories. Ontario has nothing to offer Quebec does. Quebec is the birthplace of sledding and it is embraced on a different level there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see there is only 1 guy pumping ontario. Are you an OFSC board of directors member? Hit the road with the nonsense.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
RAP tour you're joking right? You want him to come and ride the RAP? Its terrible down the west side. :rolleyes: credibility = gone... Please just stop with the nonsense stories. Ontario has nothing to offer Quebec does.
I know SOOO many people (self included) who tried to do the RAP Tour only to have to turn around when they got to the West side of the loop due to thin conditions and dirt.

Reactions: A7M266D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Many great suggestions. Here is what I create as a detailed plan. I just finished the draft 2022 QC plan (has 2 day trips built in to it, which allow for adjustments to the plan should storms hold us up, distances are KM). Once my group Ok's the plan, I distribute the hotel list with expected costs. We don't carry fuel, which has only stung us once in over 20 years.
I like your style. My last spreadsheet trip was the Chibaugamou boogie. 6 days - 1600 miles. Only bumps we found were day 6 after a two foot snowstorm. To be expected.

FYI both gas stations in Matagami will let you park your sled in the garage for the night if space is available. Highly recommended as the temps will be low at night, even in a heat wave…. Same with the Nordic in Chibaugamou, it's nice to leave in the morning with a freshly thawed out sled.

I did the Gaspe once, I think it's overrated, but to each his own preference, I think the west is the best in QC. Less people and typically wider trails. If you ever rode between Clova and Lac Faillon you know what I mean. There are a lot of 2 up lovebirds that do the Gaspe in March, that can take a toll on the trails no matter how much they groom each day. Granted 595 & 597 and the lookout in Mont St. Pierre are surreal experiences. I found the south shore of the Gaspe to be OK at best.

I would like to see the Abitibi Canyon as suggested a few posts ago. Each time we have a spare day to travel west of Val D'Or something else gets in the way of getting into Ontario for the afternoon.

For a guy coming from MI I think the best plan is to see both provinces at the same time. The gentleman that posted his suggestion of parking in Ontario, heading north in Ontario, then returning south through Quebec made a lot of sense. This is something I have never done myself, thus no negativity towards Ontario coming from me. I only have good things to say about Quebec. Either way, with the amount of good routes suggested here, I expect a full trip report with pics when you pull this off.

Sidenote. The comments made by Saguenay Bill are spot on. He is a legend in my mind. No exaggeration of mileage there. They named a trail after him that leads to the Delta hotel.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Never been to Quebec but rode several times in Ontario. Never had a bad experience of any nature in Ontario. Coming from Michigan why hadn’t anyone recommend Hearst Hornepayne Kapiskasing corridor? Been a few years since I ride that area but it was the bomb when I rode it with all aspects that make a good trip. Has something change in that area? Easy to get to from Michigan.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sidenote. The comments made by Saguenay Bill are spot on. He is a legend in my mind. No exaggeration of mileage there. They named a trail after him that leads to the Delta hotel.

True statement about Bill, can't imagine how many sledders he's introduced to Quebec. Having a trail named after you says something.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Never been to Quebec but rode several times in Ontario. Never had a bad experience of any nature in Ontario. Coming from Michigan why hadn't anyone recommend Hearst Hornepayne Kapiskasing corridor? Been a few years since I ride that area but it was the bomb when I rode it with all aspects that make a good trip. Has something change in that area? Easy to get to from Michigan.
The BIG LOOP was mentioned, several pages back.

Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Stop beating a dead horse with your stories. Quebec is awesome and so is Ontario, but Ontario does not have the Gaspésie Peninsula with far less traffic and spectacular scenery! You are obviously a new member (Few Posts) and sure are ruffling the feathers of many. Tone it down a little, we all know the theft problem can exist where ever you go. That is why you should have insurance and keep your eyes open. When ever we where in Ontario or Quebec (Several Trips over the decades) we always felt safe personally and with our sleds and equipment.

Bob
Yes, a new member here, and a member on several other forums for years. I think most sledders are tough enough to not have feathers ruffled over a destination discussion, but apologies if your feelings are hurt. The Refuge murders actually happened, and are not "stories". Quebec trails and Ontario trails are both great, nobody is arguing that. I have lived in both provinces.... yourself? Also, when comparing Gaspesie, you have to compare it to similar distances/latitudes in Ontario. The farther north you go, the fewer sledders you will encounter, the more pristine the scenery, etc. in both provinces. But it is disingenuous to keep saying things like "theft can exist wherever you go". That is a true statement, however, I was pointing out that it is worse in QC, hence the reason they push the "secure" hotels. In any case, the OP has already indicated that he is a big boy and accepts the risks wherever he chooses to go. Isn't that sufficient?

My advice, given that the OP has to drive a long way from Michigan, is to start in Ontario. Why drive, when you can ride excellent trails closer to home, with better amenities? Bottom line- choice is his. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
RAP tour you're joking right? You want him to come and ride the RAP? Its terrible down the west side. :rolleyes: credibility = gone... Please just stop with the nonsense stories. Ontario has nothing to offer Quebec does. Quebec is the birthplace of sledding and it is embraced on a different level there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see there is only 1 guy pumping ontario. Are you an OFSC board of directors member? Hit the road with the nonsense.
We've never had an issue on the "west side", and predominantly ride in cottage country (Muskoka, Parry Sound, etc.) Have there been bad snow years? Yes, everywhere. Some years the Valley sucks. Last year Sudbury, normally guaranteed good snowfall, had much less snow than in the south. It happens. The Sudbury loops are very scenic. Also, the "west side" has a massive trail network, connecting many towns. Which trails were you on? Not "pumping" Ontario, and not an OFSC guy.... lol, but I think many people don't really know where to ride. Just giving the OP honest advice from somebody who has lived in both places and ridden extensively in both. The sledding itself is great in QC and Ontario, no argument, and better the further you get from major centres. The differences lie mostly in the non-sledding variables. Launch a sled from St. Donat and come home the same day and tell me what the moguls were like in the evening when you get back to the truck..... lol. Heavily travelled areas, of course need more trail attention. We live here, so QC trips are no biggie. But if you were driving all the way from Michigan, it might be a factor. Chill, bro!

101 - 113 of 113 Posts