Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
You're lucky if you didn't hit speed traps, or you were going too slow. :) I love Quebec riding too, but have done a lot of miles in both provinces, and Ontario is just better. Yes, in southern areas of QC, most people speak English also. But the best riding in QC (Lac St, Jean, Gaspesie), English is sparse. Not knocking QC at all, but they do have a disproportionate amount of thefts there. Organized crime (bikers) have a heavy presence there, and it's quite corrupt.
Rode the Gaspésie and fluent English spoke every where. Only one hotel clerk did not speak English and we worked through that. Speed is a non issue, keep your speed down around towns and let it rip out in the wilderness and your good to go.

Bob

·
Registered
469 Posts
FWIW.... I've planned trips to QC and ON.

I focused on North Bay and areas NE and NW of there for ON. Watching the trail maps and what gets opened, the trails further south in ON can be a lot 'spottier' for being open.

I read all the theft stories in QC and the issue seems to be around Montreal, and not just for snowmobiles. But, I found separate articles outside of this site for sled theft in ON too. So IMHO just avoid staying in Montreal and the first ring of towns/cities outside of Montreal which can be quickly reached by main highways. And I know of an incident near Rangeley Maine 2 years back where the truck parked at a remote spot had its catalytic converter cut out while the owner was out snowmobiling. So IMHO it is all about being careful. We tow our sleds in a beat up old enclosed work trailer.... no snowmobiling ads on the side screaming "STEAL ME!" LOL

My main hesitation with QC is the fees, and the fact that where we want to stay is relatively thin on accommodations.

(It is easier (for me) to head out to Wyoming or to NW Maine. From lower MI, WY is not all that far of a tow,. Met some guys from MN when were out there this past winter.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rode the Gaspésie and fluent English spoke every where. Only one hotel clerk did not speak English and we worked through that. Speed is a non issue, keep your speed down around towns and let it rip out in the wilderness and your good to go.

Bob
Gaspésie trail are very nice, lots of snow and lots of accommodations. Don't worry about your English, you will be fine.

About theft, not really a problem. Some hotels have garage for your sled.

Btw, not many trails around Montreal. You have to drive North (or east) for at least 100 kms to find nice trails with good s snow coverage.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Gaspésie trail are very nice, lots of snow and lots of accommodations. Don't worry about your English, you will be fine.

About theft, not really a problem. Some hotels have garage for your sled.

Btw, not many trails around Montreal. You have to drive North (or east) for at least 100 kms to find nice trails with good s snow coverage.
The point is : Closer you are to the big centers and bigger the risk of possible theft can be.

If you're riding in remote regions like Abitibi, Saguenay Lac-St-Jean , Cote Nord or Gaspesie ,the risk of theft is probably smaller than most places.

That is the case for anything - anywhere you go as far the theft issue is concern.

·
Supreme Snowmobiler
2,070 Posts
Yes, Quebec has some theft, high cost trail passes, speak french, speed limits ( mostly around town), and a long drive to get there, but they also have the best trail system in the world. I am going as soon as I can !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I have been sledding both provinces for 40 years both are a good choice both have rough trails from time to time both have rude people and lots to see in both there is no bad choice hope you get to come and enjoy both
A little punctuation goes a long way.
Quebec permit includes liability insurance - that's what you're paying for. :) Quebec gets whooped to heck also in the Southern sled areas, believe me. We've come home on the same trails that were pristine in the morning, to 3 foot moguls by the evening. Southern most trails in Ontario are like that also, lots of sleds in these areas obviously. They both have great trails, truly. But Ontario is easier, closer, and safer. Food is way better, and accommodations are better also. And your truck and trailer will still be there when you get back...... 2 buddies have had their rigs stolen out there unfortunately. And it's organized thievery. Not saying you will have a problem there, but it is a corrupt place. Sad too, as QC is a beautiful province. And they have more strip bars on the trail... :)
You can get a refund on the insurance and you get $40 back, so not what you're paying for at all.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,819 Posts
Quebec permit includes liability insurance - that's what you're paying for. :) Quebec gets whooped to heck also in the Southern sled areas, believe me. We've come home on the same trails that were pristine in the morning, to 3 foot moguls by the evening. Southern most trails in Ontario are like that also, lots of sleds in these areas obviously. They both have great trails, truly. But Ontario is easier, closer, and safer. Food is way better, and accommodations are better also. And your truck and trailer will still be there when you get back...... 2 buddies have had their rigs stolen out there unfortunately. And it's organized thievery. Not saying you will have a problem there, but it is a corrupt place. Sad too, as QC is a beautiful province. And they have more strip bars on the trail... :)
I couldn't disagree more with this post. I have never once found anything about Ontario trails, food, accommodation better than Quebec. Are you sure you have even been there?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I couldn't disagree more with this post. I have never once found anything about Ontario trails, food, accommodation better than Quebec. Are you sure you have even been there?
Agreed. I havent found anywhere in Ontario that is better than Quebec.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, lived there for 3 years, and in Ontario most of my life. Have well over 150,000 trail kms in both provinces, so yep, have some idea. Where have you ridden in Ontario? I'm not knocking Quebec at all, it's just that Ontario trails are on par, and food and accommodation is better in general. And no theft problem to speak of. Quebec trails are excellent, nobody argues that. But QC has an organized crime problem, and it's not only "near Montreal". Take it from someone who has lived in both provinces. Accommodation is acceptable in QC, and mediocre food on the trails. Ontario is just a higher calibre for these things, if that matters to you and your group. And nobody ever got murdered in Ontario for having a competing sled hotel..... lol. A lot of visitors don't really know the underlying issues, obviously, any more than I might know U.S. state issues.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The point is : Closer you are to the big centers and bigger the risk of possible theft can be.

If you're riding in remote regions like Abitibi, Saguenay Lac-St-Jean , Cote Nord or Gaspesie ,the risk of theft is probably smaller than most places.

That is the case for anything - anywhere you go as far the theft issue is concern.
Nope. QC has disproportionately high theft, everywhere unfortunately. It is organized, so happens everywhere. People who steal new trucks and enclosed trailers, are not thrill seeking kids. QC has great trails, nobody is arguing that.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Bob
Not true, there is a lot of speed enforcement "out in the wilderness". Ontario has some also, but not to the degree that QC has. Do you personally know anyone whom perfoms these duties in Ontario or QC? We do.

Speed IS an issue in QC, for anybody riding a high performance sled. You also (legally) have to have mirrors mounted to your sled in QC. Not a huge deal, but people should be aware.

Bottom line is - the OP lives in Michigan. It's up to him if he wants to drive that far for similar trails, a much greater chance his truck will disappear, and lesser food/accommodation (IMO). Scenery is on par, latitude to latitude. I'm giving honest details - the guy is asking for advice. QC does have more strip clubs (even full service establishments) on the trails, and even mark these points of interest on the trails; they definitely beat Ontario in that regard. :) Just telling it like it is. I love sledding in QC and Ontario, trails are excellent in both. But QC has a darker side to it unfortunately, that someone new inquiring about it, deserves to know. Nobody in Ontario ever removes their truck's fuel pump relay when they park their sled rig for a weekend. And sled sites here don't advise anyone to do so. Wonder why that is....... :)

To the OP - have a great Canadian sled trip wherever you decide to go! The trails in both are superb.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
I found the food to be excellent in Ontario and Quebec, but the French Cooking in Quebec is Awesome! Theft could happen any place, you just have to be smart. Many hotels have fenced and locked parking areas and some have heated buildings to park your sleds in. Check when making reservations, they are very accommodating. If you ever get a chance to do the Gasp, do it, it's a bucket list trip for sure. The scenery, people, accommodations, food is second to none. The one thing I would advise, make sure you have a guide or someone that can navigate, it's the best experience in North America.

Bob

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
We used Bonvoyage on our Gaspésie trip. Trip included hotel, breakfast and dinner every day. Had a great guide! We asked to be in a group that would ride at a brisk pace and thats what we got. We didn't have to research gas stops, food stop or lodging. All we had to do was ride. Our guide was bilingual so we never had a language problem. Check it out https://www.bvsnowadventures.com/

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Using a guide is very inexpensive and you will see things that you would not normally see on your own.

Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
I found the food to be excellent in Ontario and Quebec, but the French Cooking in Quebec is Awesome! Theft could happen any place, you just have to be smart. Many hotels have fenced and locked parking areas and some have heated buildings to park your sleds in. Check when making reservations, they are very accommodating. If you ever get a chance to do the Gasp, do it, it's a bucket list trip for sure. The scenery, people, accommodations, food is second to none. The one thing I would advise, make sure you have a guide or someone that can navigate, it's the best experience in North America.

Bob
Can't trust the "fenced/locked" parking areas either. Truly. Even with video, the owner's are often complicit in the thefts. We stayed at a hotel in Roberval with a "secure" compound. 4 guys had no sled to ride one morning. Owner didn't know anything about it. Great riding up there though (Lac St. Jean).

The issue with QC is not the "theft could happen any place", which of course is a true statement. It is excessive, for many reasons. And again, I'm not trying to scare anyone from going there - their trails are great. But protect yourself if you have nice rigs/sleds.

Ask yourself - why the need for locked compounds and video surveillance? Why is the property never recovered? Why does everyone advise you to disable your vehicle electronically when travelling there? They don't do that for Ontario. The difference is the underground organized crime network QC has, and has never really addressed. As mentioned, the thefts are not your run of the mill amateur "kids stealing stuff". The Le Refuge sled lodge murders (still "unsolved") are proof of that (if any of you are old enough to remember that, prolly nearly 20 years ago now). :) Anyway, enough about those issues there. Just trying to be transparent with what many have unfortunately experienced there. I agree with your "be smart with your stuff" comment. Put Cat logos on your trailer, and drive your Ford there...... :)

I agree, Gaspe (Gaspesie) is very scenic, and the trails are great. I wouldn't say "best experience" in NA, but excellent trails/upkeep. And there are good trail food establishments, they are just a bit more mediocre in most places (in my experience). No sledder is going to starve there. If you're up near Pembroke (NE of the park), try Pine Ridge Park..... You'll see what I mean in terms of the food!

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,819 Posts
Yes, lived there for 3 years, and in Ontario most of my life. Have well over 150,000 trail kms in both provinces, so yep, have some idea. Where have you ridden in Ontario? I'm not knocking Quebec at all, it's just that Ontario trails are on par, and food and accommodation is better in general. And no theft problem to speak of. Quebec trails are excellent, nobody argues that. But QC has an organized crime problem, and it's not only "near Montreal". Take it from someone who has lived in both provinces. Accommodation is acceptable in QC, and mediocre food on the trails. Ontario is just a higher calibre for these things, if that matters to you and your group. And nobody ever got murdered in Ontario for having a competing sled hotel..... lol. A lot of visitors don't really know the underlying issues, obviously, any more than I might know U.S. state issues.
No need to continue on with this discussion from me. There is absolutely nothing you could say to change my mind about riding in Quebec vs Ontario. I buy an Ontario permit just to ride to Quebec. My cottage is in district 14. I've averaged 10-15k a season for the past 20 years. I ride on average 15 weekends in Quebec per season. None of the points you raised have ever come up. I've experienced some of the most passionate and helpful people in my life there. Have received hospitality and experience not available here in Ontario. Nothing we have in Ontario can even compare to Gaspe, chic chocs, mt valin etc… Anyway you enjoy the premium Ontario hotels, food and trails. I'll be in Quebec with the rest of the fed up Ontario guys.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Can't trust the "fenced/locked" parking areas either. Truly. Even with video, the owner's are often complicit in the thefts. We stayed at a hotel in Roberval with a "secure" compound. 4 guys had no sled to ride one morning. Owner didn't know anything about it. Great riding up there though (Lac St. Jean).

The issue with QC is not the "theft could happen any place", which of course is a true statement. It is excessive, for many reasons. And again, I'm not trying to scare anyone from going there - their trails are great. But protect yourself if you have nice rigs/sleds.

Ask yourself - why the need for locked compounds and video surveillance? Why is the property never recovered? Why does everyone advise you to disable your vehicle electronically when travelling there? They don't do that for Ontario. The difference is the underground organized crime network QC has, and has never really addressed. As mentioned, the thefts are not your run of the mill amateur "kids stealing stuff". The Le Refuge sled lodge murders (still "unsolved") are proof of that (if any of you are old enough to remember that, prolly nearly 20 years ago now). :) Anyway, enough about those issues there. Just trying to be transparent with what many have unfortunately experienced there. I agree with your "be smart with your stuff" comment. Put Cat logos on your trailer, and drive your Ford there...... :)

I agree, Gaspe (Gaspesie) is very scenic, and the trails are great. I wouldn't say "best experience" in NA, but excellent trails/upkeep. And there are good trail food establishments, they are just a bit more mediocre in most places (in my experience). No sledder is going to starve there. If you're up near Pembroke (NE of the park), try Pine Ridge Park..... You'll see what I mean in terms of the food!
Everything mentioned here is 100% accurate, we always cabled our sleds together and never had a problem. No doubt theft is a very real problem, take a little time to make sure your equipment is not the easy take and make sure your fully insured while in Canada. By far the best trail riding I've ever experienced!! Hard to go back to upstate NY trails after riding there......

21 - 40 of 113 Posts