Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m interested in planning a trip this coming season to Ontario. Never been there. So, I’m looking for info on where to stay, where to get maps, places to see, etc. 2 of us will be going. We both ride 2021 XRS 900 T. We both carry 3.5 gallons of gas.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read a few things, have not posted anything yet. I might try that too trying to reach a lot of people to get many ideas!

I'm.concerned about the Halfway Haven being closed at Wawa. That could mean no grooming operations.

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,819 Posts
I've read a few things, have not posted anything yet. I might try that too trying to reach a lot of people to get many ideas!

I'm.concerned about the Halfway Haven being closed at Wawa. That could mean no grooming operations.
living in Ontario I would recommend you carry on east to Quebec. Unless halfway haven finds new owners forget it that trail is done. New liskeard , Kirkland lake and Cochrane off some decent riding. However none of this compares to Quebec.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The FCMQ is a source of expertise.
The Québec Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (FCMQ) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the development and promotion of safe snowmobiling throughout the province of Québec. The FCMQ is responsive to the needs of its members and all persons concerned with the activity, be they tourists or the uninitiated.

https://fcmq.qc.ca/en/

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
X 2 on Quebec trails and amenities. Some great warm up huts stocked with firewood. Sledding is a way of life for Quebecers. So many great regions, Gaspe, Abitibi, launadieirre. You have everything from riding beside the St Lawrence River, mountains of the Laurentian region to fast logging roads, tight twisties.
Much better than the farmer's fields of Eastern Ontario..

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Half Way Haven closed and article stated trails would not be groomed. Cochrane or Quebec. Dubreuilville Ontario is a great choice also. Has a great hotel, restaurants and trails that are the best part of the Big Loop!

Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quebec has very nice trails, but also rampant theft and some other issues. And way too many trail speed traps in QC, too. Also, in the best riding areas of QC (north), English can be scarce. Permits are more expensive also, but include PLPD if that matters. I've ridden a lot of miles in QC and ON, and Ontario is better IMO, all things considered. Where are you located? Your location might help determine which is better for you. Not knocking QC at all, but sledding in ON is amazing, if you know where to go.

Cochrane is good, but way up there, and really only needed for early or late season riding. There are excellent trails much closer to the U.S. border, and much better for scenery and amenities than Cochrane, Kap, Hearst, etc. Much better food and accommodations, too. The trail north of the park for example, is bettter than anything up in Kap, or QC for that matter.

PM me and I can send you some premier routes, loops, best lodges, etc., if you're interested.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m located in lower Michigan over by Grand Rapids. Just a quick search on google maps puts the drive to Quebec at around 14 hrs. That would be without snowy weather.

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,819 Posts
I'm located in lower Michigan over by Grand Rapids. Just a quick search on google maps puts the drive to Quebec at around 14 hrs. That would be without snowy weather.
It's worth the drive to the abatibi region for you. Drive to new Liskeard and leave your truck in Ontario at one of the hotels. Cross into Quebec and head for Val dor by sled. Pick a few loops and hotels in the region. Relax and enjoy some of the worlds best riding. Every and I mean every French person wants us there riding and spending money. English is great and everyone tries to be helpful. Don't believe everything you read on here about Quebec. I've been riding the area a good 12 years and it's always been top shelf. Zero bad experience there, no speed traps, no rude people.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
It's worth the drive to the abatibi region for you. Drive to new Liskeard and leave your truck in Ontario at one of the hotels. Cross into Quebec and head for Val dor by sled. Pick a few loops and hotels in the region. Relax and enjoy some of the worlds best riding. Every and I mean every French person wants us there riding and spending money. English is great and everyone tries to be helpful. Don't believe everything you read on here about Quebec. I've been riding the area a good 12 years and it's always been top shelf. Zero bad experience there, no speed traps, no rude people.
100% True, no issues riding Quebec, most speak fluent English and want you there. Food, service and hospitality are #1. Trail permit cost is pricy, but well worth it, because the trails are flat, wide and have snow! Theft, none that we experienced, maybe in Montreal.

Bob

Bob

·
Ski-Doo Guru
13,819 Posts
100% True, no issues riding Quebec, most speak fluent English and want you there. Food, service and hospitality are #1. Trail permit cost is pricy, but well worth it, because the trails are flat, wide and have snow! Theft, none that we experienced, maybe in Montreal.

Bob

Bob
Very well said. Permit prices well you get what you pay for. Once guys get 3 - 4 days of perfect riding in Quebec the permit fee is all but a distant memory! Until you have to cross back into Ontario on a Sunday afternoon and ride whoops to get home ???? not that anything like that happens EVERY time I go to Quebec ????

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have been sledding both provinces for 40 years both are a good choice both have rough trails from time to time both have rude people and lots to see in both there is no bad choice hope you get to come and enjoy both

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far! Sounds really awesome. We have travelled the entire U.P. Of Michigan many many times. Looking for some new adventure!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm located in lower Michigan over by Grand Rapids. Just a quick search on google maps puts the drive to Quebec at around 14 hrs. That would be without snowy weather.
You can be riding on great trails in Ontario with about a 7-8 hour drive. Kap/Hearst/Cochrane are a long way for you for sure. Our Kap trip is usually if we must ride in December or April..... lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You're lucky if you didn't hit speed traps, or you were going too slow. :) I love Quebec riding too, but have done a lot of miles in both provinces, and Ontario is just better. Yes, in southern areas of QC, most people speak English also. But the best riding in QC (Lac St, Jean, Gaspesie), English is sparse. Not knocking QC at all, but they do have a disproportionate amount of thefts there. Organized crime (bikers) have a heavy presence there, and it's quite corrupt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very well said. Permit prices well you get what you pay for. Once guys get 3 - 4 days of perfect riding in Quebec the permit fee is all but a distant memory! Until you have to cross back into Ontario on a Sunday afternoon and ride whoops to get home not that anything like that happens EVERY time I go to Quebec
Quebec permit includes liability insurance - that's what you're paying for. :) Quebec gets whooped to heck also in the Southern sled areas, believe me. We've come home on the same trails that were pristine in the morning, to 3 foot moguls by the evening. Southern most trails in Ontario are like that also, lots of sleds in these areas obviously. They both have great trails, truly. But Ontario is easier, closer, and safer. Food is way better, and accommodations are better also. And your truck and trailer will still be there when you get back...... 2 buddies have had their rigs stolen out there unfortunately. And it's organized thievery. Not saying you will have a problem there, but it is a corrupt place. Sad too, as QC is a beautiful province. And they have more strip bars on the trail... :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quebec permit includes liability insurance - that's what you're paying for. :) Quebec gets whooped to heck also in the Southern sled areas, believe me. We've come home on the same trails that were pristine in the morning, to 3 foot moguls by the evening. Southern most trails in Ontario are like that also, lots of sleds in these areas obviously. They both have great trails, truly. But Ontario is easier, closer, and safer. Food is way better, and accommodations are better also. And your truck and trailer will still be there when you get back...... 2 buddies have had their rigs stolen out there unfortunately. And it's organized thievery. Not saying you will have a problem there, but it is a corrupt place. Sad too, as QC is a beautiful province. And they have more strip bars on the trail... :)
Ricky, Ricky, calm down...

·
Registered
45 Posts
2 things to remember:

try to avoid weekend as there is too much trafic and it destroy trail fast.

There is a speed limit of 70 km/h in most part of Quebec so you have to be careful.

Have fun.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts