Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some reading from guys that have used screw studs back in 2018. Is there anybody that has used this type of stud in their track & have any input about long term use with these studs.
I know there are a few different companies that make them, but for now I'm only interested about the IGRIP track stud.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Can’t remember the make that I use.
However, going on 4 years and 6000 miles, haven’t lost one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a some co worker who have run Igrips studs for 4000 - 5000 miles with great results.

I ended up installing 144 of them in my new Camso Storm track because of o
their positive experinces .

Reactions: Fritzn' around

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had a fully studded Skandic WT where several studs had ripped out and wrecked the track. I replaced the track with a new one that had molded holes for the automotive studs. I put in 200 igrip studs, used the ~25 mm ones with the small head. Put them in so part of the head was in the rubber. Ran them for 2,000 miles last winter. Slightly more side slipping of the back end on higher speed corners. But, honestly, it would take a side by side evaluation to know for sure. I was very happy with the way they worked. I installed the 200 studs in “almost all” or the outer lugs. The track is 154” - so 200 studs were a couple of lugs short. The outer lug positions were beyond where the heat exchanger is on the 2014 Skandics. That kept the heat exchanger out of harms way so I didn’t need any guards. Did a spring check and have not lost any studs. No lug damage and nothing loose. The track and studs still look great.

I also have a 2016 MXZ that has a full set of “side by side” traditional studs. Just going over them now. They were all checked and tight at the start of last season. 2,000 miles last winter with a lot of it on almost snowless trails. Found one traditional stud missing, several loose and another banged up that was loose but would not tighten. Had to cut it out and replace. The MXZ track is a single ply.

My sleds are both 600 Ace sleds, riding on groomed trails. So Please take my comments about the corner slide slip performance with that in mind!!!!!!. 850 / 900 Turbo sleds are going to be driven very differently.

Enjoy

_Jack

·
Registered
2021 SkiDoo MXZ XRS 850 2022 Polaris Indy 550
324 Posts
Just ordered a **** load of the st-20r....gonna give it a whirl in my ladies Polaris Indy 550 120 Shockwave track...at worse I loose some, but I don't have to worry on this 550 fan about the tunnel! FYI, also putting in tunnel protectors!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I ran iGrip st-24s (i think) in my 2019 GT-L 600R. The track already had positions and holes for the screw ins. They made a world of difference. As good as full size studs? I'd say %80. The handling of the sled greatly improved along with acceleration and braking. I got what I wanted out of them and I'm happy.

BTW, I also replaced one of the two 4 inch carbides with woody's 6 inch carbides. That and studs made a completely different sled!

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
2022 Ski Doo Renegade XRS 900 TurboR
411 Posts
There's no chart on their websight to help with which ones to use with which track. How long of shank do you need for 1.25" track? How long of the carbide part?

·
Registered
605 Posts
There's no chart on their websight to help with which ones to use with which track. How long of shank do you need for 1.25" track? How long of the carbide part?
Likely 1/2 inch. You don’t want to go through the main portion of the track, just the paddle.
Here is an advantage of using these studs, if you do lose one you don’t take out the cooler! We all know someone who did that!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here s some info. Though it isn't complete. Seems like 28 mm or 25mm would work on your 1.25" lug track.

I have the 32mm in my 1.5 lug Storm and they fit perfectly

Reactions: ditchbanger64

·
Registered
411 Posts
Looks like ST24 would be the way to go. Don't know if I'll need them yet I'm just looking ahead. I here my TurboR I ordered may not come with the IR track I ordered. Dealer has not comfirmed that yet. I don't wanna call and bug him because I'm sure he's already being hounded by people as well as boat storage etc.. this time of year.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I ran SS32's in a Hurricane 175 2 season's ago. Worked great for 3200km or so. Last ride of the season I tore three lugs off and here's the result.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

I blame most if this on myself, as I was running a 1.75" track at high speed on the lake/river with next to no lube(bare ice) for an extended period of time. Surely there were some heat issues at play. There is also very little clearance with that track in an MXZ. I never lost any studs, so there seems no be little risk of the studs ripping out of the lugs.

Anyhow, I went to a Storm 150 last year, transferred the same iGrips from the Hurricane. They still looked brand new after 1 season. So they are a very durable stud. I also have a Storm 150 on my other sled with Gold Diggers and I will say the track with the Gold Diggers looks to be in better shape after multiple seasons than the track with the iGrips after 1 season. By that I mean the lugs on the track with the iGrips are a bent over(curled) a bit. So they are definitely harder on your lugs IMO, which really shouldn't be a surprise. Or that could be a result of the extra power of the 850 lol.

So I'm torn on what to do going forward.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I ran SS32's in a Hurricane 175 2 season's ago. Worked great for 3200km or so. Last ride of the season I tore three lugs off and here's the result.

View attachment 1976249

I blame most if this on myself, as I was running a 1.75" track at high speed on the lake/river with next to no lube(bare ice) for an extended period of time. Surely there were some heat issues at play. There is also very little clearance with that track in an MXZ. I never lost any studs, so there seems no be little risk of the studs ripping out of the lugs.

Anyhow, I went to a Storm 150 last year, transferred the same iGrips from the Hurricane. They still looked brand new after 1 season. So they are a very durable stud. I also have a Storm 150 on my other sled with Gold Diggers and I will say the track with the Gold Diggers looks to be in better shape after multiple seasons than the track with the iGrips after 1 season. By that I mean the lugs on the track with the iGrips are a bent over(curled) a bit. So they are definitely harder on your lugs IMO, which really shouldn't be a surprise. Or that could be a result of the extra power of the 850 lol.

I use the same track with screw in studs. Starting to see cracks at the base of the paddles.

·
Registered
411 Posts

View attachment 1976249

I have an Icestorm on my 2019 Renegade 850. That track looks almost new after 2 seasons. I"m pretty careful with my tracks crossing roads etc... but I don't always get perfect conditions. I would run this track again on the new turbo if it was an option. The only downside is I can tell it probably scrubs 5mph off top speed. Planning on selling the 2019 Renegade but not sure what's gonna happen now

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yup. However, great track off trail
Yes, I really liked the Hurricane. It was great on trail too IMO. I just don't want to run without some form of traction product. There's lots of lake/river riding in my area. Snow can be sparse early and late in the season. So I need something to keep me pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
41 Posts

View attachment 1976249

Thanks for sharing this. I ll be keeping a close eye on my new Storm with Igrips set up. If the lugs show any signs of bending , I ll switch to 96 traditional studs the next season.

Did you install Igrips in the middle lug towers as well? I m currently have 144 studs , and still on the fence about studding the center middle lugs...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. I ll be keeping a close eye on my new Storm with Igrips set up. If the lugs show any signs of bending , I ll switch to 96 traditional studs the next season.

Did you install Igrips in the middle lug towers as well? I m currently have 144 studs , and still on the fence about studding the center middle lugs...
Yes I did on the Storm, but not the Hurricane. I don't think they hit the center tunnel protector at all. I'll take a look tomorrow and get back to you.

I also have a buddy that's run a Storm with iGrips in his 1200 for 2 seasons without issue. It's possible the ice build up in the tunnel of the G4 is causing some of what I'm seeing. Although with the Storm being 1.25" on the outside.....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts