Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get a coil for a 1979 Blizzard 9500 plus?
New or used, doesn't matter.
& what does the "plus" stand for anyway? Was there just a 9500 without the plus?
Also,
Can you change an ignition from a 1979 to a 1982?
Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
-You have to find a used one ( not easy )because aftermarket dont keep them and from SkiDoo ,they are nla.
-I dont know for the PLUS spec.79 to 82 got the same engine size 436 cc.
-if the keyway on the crank is at the same place (cant remember ),a COMPLETE '82 ignition( they were diff. brand ) will fit on your '79 engine.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
HiOctane said:
-You have to find a used one ( not easy )because aftermarket dont keep them and from SkiDoo ,they are nla.
-if the keyway on the crank is at the same place (cant remember ),a COMPLETE '82 ignition( they were diff. brand ) will fit on your '79 engine.
[snapback]257204[/snapback]​

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HiOctane said:
[snapback]257204[/snapback]​
Thanks,
I found an 82 but it is missing the CDI box. So I guess i would be in the same boat anyway.
I guess I will just keep looking for a used one
thanks
Alex

·
Registered
31 Posts
Talla,

The '79 and '80 9500+ Blizzards run a dual Bosch Ignition and the 1981 9500+ and the 1982 9500 (no "+") run a single Nippon Denso ignition. They (ignitions) are not interchangable unless you change the crankshaft (or have it machined). One of the nice things about the Bosch systems is that they run external trigger coils so you can change ignition timing in the time it takes to slacken and retighten two caps screw ( 4 caps screws total if you change both MAG and PTO timing). I also found that the tachometer operation of the Bosch-equipped sleds is smoother (they run different tachs as the Bosch sleds -'79 and '80- use the 6 pole race tachs) and in my experience, the Bosch sleds are faster. I presently have one Bosch-equippped sled and three Nippon Denso sleds and the Bosch one is considerably faster. I have had dozens of Bosch sleds (Blizzards) before then and they were always faster that the identically-prepped (other than ignition) Nippon sleds. Others may care to argue, however, that the Nippon sleds are more reliable. This may be true. ALWAYS make sure that you have your plug wire grounded when turning the engine over as this can spike the CDI box.

I have the Bosch CDI boxes (used). They are $65 each plus shipping. When they were available from Bombardier, they were $400 each. If you are interested, please e-mail me at [email protected] as I check my personal e-mails first and may not get back to this forums as frequently.

Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts