Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Backcountry Shredder
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to share a little experience I had over the weekend with you all. I will make as short as possible. My wife and I along with another couple decided to meet 8 other friends to ride Speculator for the weekend. We are all from the Saratoga area and ride the area all of the time. We would not normally stay over in Speculator because it is so close, but we thought it might be nice to get a night away with some friends. The four of us in my room made reservations at the Waters Edge Hotel for Saturday night. The rest of the guys arrived earlier on Friday and we met them Saturday morning at 8:30am at the hotel. As we arrived we were immediately hassled in the parking because we were there before check in time, which was 2:00. Some people were charged $40 extra to park. My wife got us out of that. I have stayed at many places on snowmobile trips and never have had any problem parking as long as I was staying the night. I told the owner that other hotels let you park and he said give me one example and I said anywhere in Tug Hill, and he said "well that is Tug Hill" I could see if the hotel was booked, but there were only a handful of vehicles there. The owners were cranky right from the beginning with us. As my wife was checking in I asked the guys if they "edit for bad language" the owners off last night and they said no, and that he was mad because one of the guys had to cancel his reservation because his daughter stopped breathing and had to be rushed to the hospital. The owner also felt the guys came home to late Friday night, which was 12:30am. While that is late, he owns a hotel, what does he expect.

We finally throw our stuff in our room and head out riding for the day, which was great, we went out to Salisbury via Powley Rd and did a ride similar ride as RevmanII. We saw them on the trail too. We split up in to a couple of groups and we all met back up at our Hotel (Waters Edge) at about 6:00pm. When we get back we find out the one of the guys we were with was told never to come back again. When he went in to ask about future reservations he made he was told because of how rude he was last night (coming back at 12:30am), and purposely waking the owner up, he was not welcome back. Well, he was not even there on Friday night. Anyway, we socialize for about an hour and go get dinner and drinks at the Speculator Inn, which was great. We had a blast there and the food was excellent. As we are telling other people in the bar about the inhospitable feeling we are receiving from the Waters Edge they begin to tell us about many other people who have also had miserable experiences there. That did not surprise us.

We wind up getting back to hotel at about 12:30am and were being extra quiet to not anger him further. When it was time to go to bed, my wife and I found a bed full of tools and a mess of drywall on the bed. In order to go to bed and not ask the owner for anything I cleaned it up and set all the tools aside neatly. On top of that we had to contend with a leaking pipe in the wall by our heads, which must have been part of the work in progress. Enough said about that, I was not happy and you can imagine my wife.

In the morning I planned on loading up and hitting Perkins from Mason Lake. As I was loading the sleds I noticed the owner blocked the lake off with a snow fence and truck. At this point I needed to question him about it, which was a waste of time. He told us to never come back saying "all you people from NYC and New Jersey act the same." First of all, none of us are from there and I can understand his stereotypical attitude, (all of my family is from the city), but it should not have been voiced, they pay the bills for him. I said if it were not for all us staying here, your place would be empty. He blamed empty beer cans on the ice from us when we were not there all day and must have forgot about all the ice fishermen on Saturday. It went back and fourth for a while and there was no reasoning with this man. He summed up a long disturbing conversation with, if he had known we were snowmobilers we would not have be staying her in the first place and continued to say he makes enough money with his guests over the summer to shut down for the winter and not have to deal with snowmobiles…maybe he should.

In the end, this is not a place for anyone to stay in my opinion. I travel a lot and have never stayed in a hotel as unsatisfying as the Waters Edge Hotel. Also, I would like to add that I was there with others from this board and I have left out their unfortunate experiences with this hotel this past weekend. I am voicing my experience; it is up to them if they would like to add anything. I do not post much on any of the boards I visit and I hate to have to post up negativity, however, it bothered all of us so much I feel I needed to say something. People have many other lodging choices in Speculator and a non-snowmobile friendly hotel should not be your choice.

·
I'm disinclined to acquiesce your request.
36,411 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on this Ignoramous.....sheeeesh he won't be in business much longer if he keeps that attitiude up....

How were the riding conditions????

·
Backcountry Shredder
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BAMMER said:
Thanks for the heads up on this Ignoramous.....sheeeesh he won't be in business much longer if he keeps that attitiude up....

How were the riding conditions????
[snapback]688065[/snapback]​
His attitude was the worst!

Conditions were great on Saturday morning and deteriorated as the sun and warm temps cooked everything. It also did not help that it was was a zoo on Saturday. Sunday was shot with bumps, rocks and mud on most trails.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I can attest to Empire's story. I however was part of the group that arrived on Thursday night. There were three of us staying there at the time (motel was EMPTY other than the three of us in one room). We did in fact got out for dinner and did in fact come back to the hotel thursday night at 12:30 am (ok, friday morning...) BUT we came back at that time in my truck. I should know, I was the designated driver. We came in and went to bed. How we woke the owner is beyond me and how we did it purposely defies logic. The following morning (Friday) we got up and began to unload our sleds and a friend who was up for the day rode up Lake Pleasant to meet us (he parked in the town lot). He came to our room via his sled and was immediately confronted by the owner's wife for staying in the room without paying, saying were a bunch of liars. It wasn't until we directed her attention to the fact that there were only two vehicles in the lot did she believe us. At which point she changed her atttitude and introduced herself politely and asked if we needed anything??????

That was my single run in with the owners. Others individuals that were staying there (not even in our group) had stories about their experiences from the weekend that were shared when we were leaving on Sunday, but I'll let them tell their tales.

I do apologize for posting up negatives about a client on a site that I often view for info. As stated, my intent is not to sabotage nor discredit anyone, but as a paying customer of an establishment that obviously is in business to cater to a clientel (and since they are a supporting member of ilsnow.com, I expect them to cater to snowmobilers), I expect to be treated with respect and dignity as I am there to relax and enjoy the sport.

If I were planning a trip to Speculator for the first time and was looking for info, I would want an honest opinion also. Why ruin someone elses vacation by sugar coating it

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
What are these people thinking???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts