Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my sled running just perfect, but when it gets warmed up and I let off the throttle, it wont go under 5000 RPM. When i shut it off and on again then it idles good at the start but when u give it gas it stays high. How do i get it down to 3000 RPM?

Thanks

·
Registered
941 Posts
Got the same problem on one of my 9500. Been thru everything. Otherwise runs like a raped ape. Whats up you engine gurus???

·
Registered
115 Posts
dont mean to ask a stupid question but did u try the idle speed screw? or check if the choke is sticking on, if it has one

·
Registered
204 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my TNT 340 when I drove it today. It would idle great when first started but after driving for awhile and letting off the throttle it wouldn't go back to and idle. I tried turning down the idle and fixed the problem but when you first start it up cold then its too low! It muct have something to do with carb tempature or something?

·
Registered
17 Posts
kaptiankent said:
I noticed the same thing on my TNT 340 when I drove it today. It would idle great when first started but after driving for awhile and letting off the throttle it wouldn't go back to and idle. I tried turning down the idle and fixed the problem but when you first start it up cold then its too low! It muct have something to do with carb tempature or something?
[snapback]706120[/snapback]​
First check the obvious, and make sure that the carb is closing all of the way. Try snapping the throttle back to make sure it slams shut. Most likely the problem is a low speed mixture screw is set too lean. With the engine running, turn the low speed needle out a little bit, you should see/hear the RPM's drop, if you turn it in, the RPM's should increase. If the idle is that high, you are way too lean, and may even notice a bog when you crack the throttle, this is different than the sputtering when you crack the throttle if the low speed is set too rich. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
bwthor said:
kaptiankent said:
[snapback]706120[/snapback]​
First check the obvious, and make sure that the carb is closing all of the way. Try snapping the throttle back to make sure it slams shut. Most likely the problem is a low speed mixture screw is set too lean. With the engine running, turn the low speed needle out a little bit, you should see/hear the RPM's drop, if you turn it in, the RPM's should increase. If the idle is that high, you are way too lean, and may even notice a bog when you crack the throttle, this is different than the sputtering when you crack the throttle if the low speed is set too rich. Good luck.
[snapback]706151[/snapback]​
Sweet ride , looks like it would be a great summer project

·
Registered
478 Posts
quicksilversleder249 said:
Got my sled running just perfect, but when it gets warmed up and I let off the throttle, it wont go under 5000 RPM. When i shut it off and on again then it idles good at the start but when u give it gas it stays high. How do i get it down to 3000 RPM?

Thanks
[snapback]705972[/snapback]​
Just from experience....check your crank seal. Here's how, with engine running, when the rpm's are too high and it won't idle down, squirt some oil between the clutch and the carnk seal area. If your seal is bad, the engine will idle down for a sec or two which means the oil was acting as a temporary seal. If no idle change, then seal is ok. Had this happen to some older sleds in the past, and this test will help you rule out the crank seal or not. Good luck.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Been there done that. New motor. new carb seals. no problems with linkage. lifts skis at 60 mph. Just wont idle until you shut the ignition off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
maybe the spring that pushes the slide valve back down is worn out, a similar thing happened to me on a different engine, the airflow inside the carb would hold the valve wide open until i shut it off

·
Registered
855 Posts
i used to have a blizzard 9500 that did that i was told that they reved somewat high like that. but mine didnt rev at 5 g it was more like 3500-4000 plus the 9500 has more power mine was also bored 0.20

·
Registered
941 Posts
springs are good. Cables are perfect. Wrong jet somewere???

·
Registered
941 Posts
ttt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts