Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some problems sunday morning. Ater my stuck choke problem the sled was running fine for the first couple miles. Then I began to "giver" and the sled would rev to 8000 rpms and then the throttle would go soft and drop down to 7000 rpms. I'd let off the gas and then when I hammered back on it it would go back up to 8000 rpm and then do the same thing. Beside the high rpm's the sled sounded and ran really stong in the trails. The problem persisted for about 10 minutes until we got to the gas station. I took the plugs out and one appeared to be lighter in color than the other. I switched the plugs from one side to the other and the rest of the day (approximately 1 hour) it did not drop the idel any more. It did seem like it did not have the top end speed it used to.
So I'm I about to blow something up?

Please help

adam

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not understanding your problem, the RPMs would just drop from 8000 to 7000 RPMs for no apparent reason? Or are you saying the throttle was sticking?

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
ADAM ANTHONY said:
THE RPM'S WOULD DROP EVENTHOUGH THE THROTTLE LEVER WAS PEGGED TO THE BAR!

ADAM
[snapback]286207[/snapback]​
O.K. So what did the motor sound like? Chugging? Sputtering? Did it just die? Did the RPM just drop (indication problem), and the motor still run strong. Adam, be more specific and we might be able to assist you better.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SORRY FOR THE LACK OF DETAIL.
THE ENGINE NEVER SOUNDED LIKE ANYTHING WAS WRONG. WHEN THE RPM'S DROPED IT WAS AS IF I JUST GRADUALLY LET OFF THE THROTTLE AND HELD IT AT 7000 RPM. THEN WHEN I SLOWLY GOT BACK INTO THE THROTTLE IT WAS FINE UNTIL I GOT JUST ABOVE 8000, THEN WENT SOFT AGAIN DOWN TO 7000.

SOME FRIENDS HAVE SUGGESTED THAT IT MAYBE A WORN BELT?

THE CONFUSING THING IS THAT FROM A COMPLETE STOP WHEN I GUNNED IT, IT TOOK OFF LIKE A RAPED APE EVEN AT THE HIGH RPM'S. THE PROBLEM SEEMED TO START ONCE I GOT ABOVE SAY 40 MPH? THIS SEAMS TO POINT TO A CLUCHING PROBLEM?

CONFUSSED????

ADAM

·
Registered
386 Posts
ADAM ANTHONY said:
SORRY FOR THE LACK OF DETAIL.
THE ENGINE NEVER SOUNDED LIKE ANYTHING WAS WRONG. WHEN THE RPM'S DROPED IT WAS AS IF I JUST GRADUALLY LET OFF THE THROTTLE AND HELD IT AT 7000 RPM. THEN WHEN I SLOWLY GOT BACK INTO THE THROTTLE IT WAS FINE UNTIL I GOT JUST ABOVE 8000, THEN WENT SOFT AGAIN DOWN TO 7000.

SOME FRIENDS HAVE SUGGESTED THAT IT MAYBE A WORN BELT?

THE CONFUSING THING IS THAT FROM A COMPLETE STOP WHEN I GUNNED IT, IT TOOK OFF LIKE A RAPED APE EVEN AT THE HIGH RPM'S. THE PROBLEM SEEMED TO START ONCE I GOT ABOVE SAY 40 MPH? THIS SEAMS TO POINT TO A CLUCHING PROBLEM?

CONFUSSED????

ADAM
[snapback]287426[/snapback]​
Put new, properly gapped plugs in it. You are somewhat describing what happened to me a couple of times. Putting new plugs in fix it for me on those occasions. it may or may not be the fix but it could be.

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
Could be the spring in the driven clutch is sagging out a bit causing the clutch to open into a higher gear dropping the RPMs , you can have the preload on the clutch reset ( spring wound tighter) and should be ok

·
Registered
70 Posts
sounds like maybe runing out of fuel like maybe fuelpump,filter,dirt in carb, you did say one plug looked different could be going lean on top end??

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Agree with boondocker1, sounds like a clutch issue or warn belt. Look in your owners manual for the wear limits on your belt. Might be a good idea to remove the clutch and inspect it. Also, clutch alignment, belt deflection, are things to varify for proper performance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts