Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Starter is fused with a 30A so 10ga is good enough
The starter wires will need to be large. The power/positive needs to be larger due to its length. The ground wire can be a little smaller due to using the chassis as ground, but it is simpler to buy the same size for both power and ground. How many amps does a starter draw, 50-70A?
So to be safe 8ga then. But this is not a car and 4 or 6 would be over kill but you could use it, personally I would use what is available at a good price.
I often buy booster cables that are on sale at a local store and crimp ring terminals on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The 30A fuse is for the charging circuit, the starter to battery back to ground are unfused (at least that's how I'm understanding it from my diagrams). The 30A fuse is in a larger wire, probably 10GA, but not nearly as large as the starter wires. I'm thinking they are something like a 4GA.

·
Premium Member
30,524 Posts
Starter is fused with a 30A so 10ga is good enough

So to be safe 8ga then. But this is not a car and 4 or 6 would be over kill but you could use it, personally I would use what is available at a good price.

I often buy booster cables that are on sale at a local store and crimp ring terminals on.
There are many good wiring size charts for single-wire copper conductor in free air, however I did find an Automotive/Marine wiring sizing chart that is completely out of wack showing near double the Ampacity for an 8G wire. I like the idea of using booster cables, but low cost ones will have too small of wire or have copper coated aluminum wires.

The Marine side has generally better information on DC wiring and easier to find compared to what is found on the automotive side. So far the only key piece of information that I have found lacking is for the electric motor itself. The wire needs to be rated at least 125% of the FLC (Full Load Current), so a wire for a 50A starter would need to be rated for a minimum of 62.5A.

The cables are rated for heat and also for their insulation temperature rating. Marine grade has 105°C insulation which bumps the maximum amperage rating. Depending on where the wire is located, such as the 4 foot wire from the starter solenoid to the starter that runs through the engine bay and behind the muffler, there are correction factors to apply for the expected increase in ambient heat.

When I look at a Marine wiring chart, I find the 8G and 10G ratings to see if they go over the maximum ratings for uninsulated wires. Surprisingly many do and some by a large margin. When I see a chart showing 100A for 8G and even 10G wire....... or worse an 8G wire showing 150A...... it does not inspire confidence. This is only to say to be careful of the charts when wiring a starter.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts