Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to install Electric start on my 2004 summit 550 fan, i already have the starter but now i need to know what wiring is needed or if it is even possible to have electric start, but since the legend model of the same year and same engine can have one and zx are all the same why not.
can some one help me?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very possible but I cannot speak to your exact sled. ZX's get a little funny after 2002, as they are "parts bin engineering" machines.

Aside from a starter, starter relay, start button, battery box, battery, primary clutch ring gear and associated wiring...

The sled (rope start) currently puts out AC voltage.
You need a Voltage regulator+Rectifier in the system to convert to a DC voltage to charge your battery.

The factory E-start kits are probably a long ways out of production at this point. I'd refer to the parts diagram on partzilla to get a look at what parts were used on the E-start models. You may be best served to find a fan cooled legend or grand touring as a donor for your project.

Also you might find that RMstator has the V-reg you need.
ok have done some research and i do have a regulator rectifier, and i have the wiring from the starter thru the key switch but the only thing missing is the charging system, so i wonder what is this regulator doing there

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok from the starter i have a smal red wire going from the positive side of the starter relay, this wire passes thru the key swich then a fuse and finally to the positive terminal of the batterie.
the negative of the starter is grownded on the frame.
so this is the relay activation sircuit am i right?
but for the starter power sircuit the only diagram i could find is from the legend and it shows a big red cable going from the positive side of the batterie to the high power positive terminal of the relay so my question is were is the ground for this sircuit, is the starter itself grounding on the engine block and if so would those tow sircuit short together no?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just put electric start on a 1998 Formula 500 (S-Chassis). I can't get too much into the ZX Chassis, but I'll tell you what I needed for mine.
-Starter
-Starter brackets to mount starter to engine (they are engine-specific in some cases, you'd have to research that one)
-Ring gear (be careful as some years have different bolt diameters). And don't tap the clutch holes, get the proper bolts/screws, they will be self-tapping, you have to carefully put them in with loctite.
-Battery box (and battery)
-Large cables for positive and ground
-Fuse holder with 30A fuse
-Rectifier/regulator. This is what allows your machine to convert the AC power generated by the engine to DC to charge the battery.

As for wiring diagrams, the one you have should work for you, same basic principal.

I've attached a parts diagram for a 2004 Legend 550F, that shows all of the parts that you should need. I can't guarantee it, but it's my best effort to help you. Good luck.

great that helps alot, but after the rectifier is there supposed to wiring going to the batterie can you explain to me how it works

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think i found it, connect the small red wire to the positve and on the selenoid connect the big red wire to the positive of the batterie and the starter connect negative terminal of both batterie and starter to the frame??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The small wire to connect to the solenoid should already be there, tye wrapped to the main harness, at least that's how it is on an S-chassis. The small red wire from the positive terminal goes to the ignition switch, that's the wire you have to add to the ignition switch, this same wire has the 30A fuse in it. Again, that's all from my S-chassis experience.

Your explanation of the negative wires sounds correct.
ok from what i can see my circuit is complete, i just wonder how the charging system works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm not sure what comes stock on your machine. If it has no DC system on it now, then you have a regulator that simply shunts excessive AC voltage to ground to keep you at approx. 12V. This is the one that when it fails, you keep blowing your light bulbs. I'm thinking you need to change it out for a Rectifier/regulator, but somebody more qualified in the ZX world may be better to help you out there. If you can get them, compare the wiring diagrams of an electric start model with one that isn't. That will confirm. I don't have those diagrams for the ZX machines.

Sometimes you can use a Royal Distributing catalog to help, find out if there are different part numbers for estart vs. not estart machines.
ok from what i know the rectifier is the same that's in the legend and this one do have electric start

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Alainm, that sounds like the S-Chassis then. The solid yellow is the regulated AC, for lights and such, the Yellow/black is used for the tachometer (and many other places, that's just one example). I believe the Yellow/black is where most components get their ground from. You don't want to ground any AC to the chassis, only the DC grounds to the chassis (frame).

Also, the red wires being DC positive sounds the same as what I'm familiar with as well. I just didn't know if the ZX all came with a rectifier or nor. I've worked briefly on my Uncle's 2004 Legend GT, and it has electric start but I believe I did find that the lights on that machine were using DC, but I didn't know about non electric start machines.
like i said worst case scenario the circuit will not charge, but i think it will work since the regulator is the same as the legend.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The ZX sleds that had the fan engine back then all utilized the same harness, if you look at the wiring diagram all are listed , MXZ, Legend, Summit, grand touring.
I believe the estart was stock on the grand touring and legend and optional on the MXZ but not the summit.
it should work the way it is then

1 - 17 of 17 Posts