Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Myself i would have added a piece of 1/2" neoprene foam padding upfront instead of cutting that out, but it looks alright all the same.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Myself i would have added a piece of 1/2" neoprene foam padding upfront instead of cutting that out, but it looks alright all the same.
Then how would I get the cover back on ?

Reactions: JaggerJ

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
neoprene is compressible.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
neoprene is compressible.
Then I would be back to square one with overstressed seams plus this way I will have 1/2" more leg room also. I would have to let the seams out all down the sides 1/2" (If there was enough material ) to add foam to the front part. Some webbing (like a belly strap for a horse) on the outside near the rear is another idea I was thinking of.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Just saying i would have tried something different before hacking into the set foam.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Just saying i would have tried something different before hacking into the set foam.
Me too.

I know there are still people who prefer the sit-down, legs stretched out in front seating position of the older style sleds, but I much prefer the higher seat, hugging the console position that is encouraged with modern sleds.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Me too.

I know there are still people who prefer the sit-down, legs stretched out in front seating position of the older style sleds, but I much prefer the higher seat, hugging the console position that is encouraged with modern sleds.
The dam thing was hacked when it was made, why would anybody want to keep sliding forward? It seems strange that you like to ride in the middle of the seat but to each their own I guess.

Reactions: Tugnut

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
It seems strange that you like to ride in the middle of the seat but to each their own I guess.
At least 75% of people i know 90 % of the time ride upfront with their feet back a bit knees bent, this position makes you more flexible to make quick adjustments from sitting to kneelingé & standing running from lakes/river to portages, in the woods etc.... i do sometimes ride legs outstretched for short distance like you but the conditions has to be super good...level, no bumps..not long drives.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have a motorbike, or are you familier with the various styles of bikes available?
I had 8 motorcycles, half were crotch rockets and half were Harleys. The rockets were ok after I got used to being bunched up on them.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At least 75% of people i know 90 % of the time ride upfront with their feet back a bit knees bent, this position makes you more flexible to make quick adjustments from sitting to kneelingé & standing running from lakes/river to portages, in the woods etc.... i do sometimes ride legs outstretched for short distance like you but the conditions has to be super good...level, no bumps..not long drives.
I get it but when you are constantly being pushed forward it's hard on the bent legs to get repositioned, especially going downhill and I'm no spring chicken. I think this modification will end all that and I'm looking forward to it. The conditions here are about half straight runs and half otherwise. Also; I finished the sewing job with factory looking double seams.

Reactions: Glenngo

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Yes i realize going downhill will drive you forward, also understand that's most of where you drive, here is mostly flat with the odd hill that may take me 30s to a couple of minutes to descend, not long enough to have any of your concerns but i get where your coming from.

·
Registered
223 Posts
This isn't something I've ever had a problem with, except when I shift forward to allow my dog to ride behind me.

You did a nice clean job.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes i realize going downhill will drive you forward, also understand that's most of where you drive, here is mostly flat with the odd hill that may take me 30s to a couple of minutes to descend, not long enough to have any of your concerns but i get where your coming from.
It's worse than that, on the flat I have to push myself back every 10 minutes, very annoying.

Reactions: pleasesnow

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
This isn't something I've ever had a problem with, except when I shift forward to allow my dog to ride behind me.

You did a nice clean job.
Thanks, I went back and double seamed it to match the rest and if anyone wants details on how to do it let me know.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I had 8 motorcycles, half were crotch rockets and half were Harleys. The rockets were ok after I got used to being bunched up on them.
Are you familiar with adventure tourers?

Think about the seating position on an adventure bike. Your feet are below you, hips are higher than your knees, elbows bent, back is straight. The transition from sitting to standing is easy to make, and you can take weight off your behind, and back, easily when you see a bump coming. That's how riding a modern, rider-forward sled is supposed to be.

Sitting back to the rear of the seat, with your legs and arms out-stretched straight before you, is akin to riding a Harley. On straight, flat going, it's comfortable enough. But it doesn't allow you to respond to terrain. It's incredibly uncomfortable in rough going, and, apparently, you keeping sliding forward on the seat.

I'm a fan of adventure bikes, not cruisers.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
The dam thing was hacked when it was made, .
Not like that, you created a line/weaker point at where you ended off, my guess the foam and seatcover will crack after a bit of driving....a bit meaning a few thousand kms....stick something on it for reinforcement.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you familiar with adventure tourers?

Think about the seating position on an adventure bike. Your feet are below you, hips are higher than your knees, elbows bent, back is straight. The transition from sitting to standing is easy to make, and you can take weight off your behind, and back, easily when you see a bump coming. That's how riding a modern, rider-forward sled is supposed to be.

Sitting back to the rear of the seat, with your legs and arms out-stretched straight before you, is akin to riding a Harley. On straight, flat going, it's comfortable enough. But it doesn't allow you to respond to terrain. It's incredibly uncomfortable in rough going, and, apparently, you keeping sliding forward on the seat.

I'm a fan of adventure bikes, not cruisers.
I'm a fan of remaining in my position of choice without being moved by an outside force.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts