Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts

My first SKI DOO. I am torn dont want to stop boating but cant wait to start Sledding...

Its not bad less than 100 mile on a rebuilt motor 7000 on sled its in good shape just the recoil is broke and have to replace a boggie wheel.

·
Registered
150 Posts
cool!! one of my family members has a 2001 skidoo summit highmark x 800.i drove it and loved it! welcome to dootalk!! i think that thing would look really sick and get you through more snow if you extended the track to a 136 or 144

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rode a 136 Paddle track in Colorado I had a 2001 800 RMK loved it but when riding trails I would roll it (in the corners) trying to keep up with my buddy on a 121. We did not ride trails much there just to get to where we could get off of them. Here I plan on lake and trail rideing and probally little powder so I think the 121 should be more fun but I dont know much about this flatland riding mabe I will change my mind.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i have a 2002 skidoo mxz renegade 600 with a 136 inch extension with 2 inch paddles. i have no problems with corners or trails

·
Registered
150 Posts
andi ride with guys with 163 inches polaris dragons and 144 polaris assualts and longtracks. they have no problems. if anything i have a hard time keeping up on my 121 mxz 583

·
Ford hater
20,377 Posts
Is the recoil melted? If so pull the stator!!!! I didn't on my 02 800 (same sled as yours) and it screwed up my stator. Well worth the time than a $300 stator

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the recoil melted? If so pull the stator!!!! I didn't on my 02 800 (same sled as yours) and it screwed up my stator. Well worth the time than a $300 stator
I am going to pull it apart this weekend. Not to sound stupid but what do you mean by pulling the stator do I need to clean it? My last sled was brand new so I always took it to the shop and my other sleds I had in CO my buddy Who worked at the shop did all the work too. Now I must learn.

Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
when the recoil melts it fragments little tiny peaces of plastic. unfortunately there is a gap behind your flywheel and these parts can get to your stator as it is spinning w the crank and pretty much destroy it. my buddy had this happen w his 800 . he heard all this noise and eventually pulled over. he got lucky but says it was still a messy cleanup. probably even then not very good for the stator as they tend to die w out reason anyway

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when the recoil melts it fragments little tiny peaces of plastic. unfortunately there is a gap behind your flywheel and these parts can get to your stator as it is spinning w the crank and pretty much destroy it. my buddy had this happen w his 800 . he heard all this noise and eventually pulled over. he got lucky but says it was still a messy cleanup. probably even then not very good for the stator as they tend to die w out reason anyway
Thank you kindly that clears things up. I will need to pick up a repair manual somewhere.

·
Ford hater
20,377 Posts
also the older recoil had a metal wedge to hold the rope, which is even worse than plastic build up on the stator

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got the plastic one and I think I am going to put a rumble pack on it so it wont get as hot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts