Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a hyperlite last summer from a buddy who told me to just slap it on with the new pin weights for the primary and go. It ran great and I was stoked with it until it started to develop what seemed to be intermittent backshift problems. I would be pinned always when it happened usually at the worst possible moment when the clutch should be backshifting it felt like the clutch would flutter so badly that the belt would slip and track speed and rpm would die all of a sudden like somebody stuck a huge branch in my track or something. Reverse wouldn't work a few times with the reverse hooks partially hitting the plate grinding metal and paint and making a mess:( But this was only intermittently
but steadily getting worse until I had the clutch serviced. Then it was fine again only when full throttle and laying the sled over to the left(clutch side)
would the belt slip a bit, rpm drop etc... a quick pump of the thumb always fixed it and got me out of trouble but then it all started to come back again a couple of months later a lot worse....
FROM reading earlier posts it seems like a chronic lack of backshift from dirty bushings binding(break in period for this clutch is like 1000 miles right?) and maybe bad alignment?
how do you set the clutch up to 'float' or should I shim it as described in earlier posts on this site?

Please help it is snowing like crazy up here in BC but I don't want to ride until I fix it.... scared of breaking stuff!!!

·
Descending doooowwwwnnnnn
3,398 Posts
need more info,i run back and forth from my hyper to dj's kit,i also have a 144...what helix and spring are you running...my reverse has always worked without a hitch,and have no complaints about the hyper....drop me a pm ..

·
Registered
93 Posts
04summit said:
I bought a hyperlite last summer from a buddy who told me to just slap it on with the new pin weights for the primary and go. It ran great and I was stoked with it until it started to develop what seemed to be intermittent backshift problems. I would be pinned always when it happened usually at the worst possible moment when the clutch should be backshifting it felt like the clutch would flutter so badly that the belt would slip and track speed and rpm would die all of a sudden like somebody stuck a huge branch in my track or something. Reverse wouldn't work a few times with the reverse hooks partially hitting the plate grinding metal and paint and making a mess:( But this was only intermittently
but steadily getting worse until I had the clutch serviced. Then it was fine again only when full throttle and laying the sled over to the left(clutch side)
would the belt slip a bit, rpm drop etc... a quick pump of the thumb always fixed it and got me out of trouble but then it all started to come back again a couple of months later a lot worse....
FROM reading earlier posts it seems like a chronic lack of backshift from dirty bushings binding(break in period for this clutch is like 1000 miles right?) and maybe bad alignment?
how do you set the clutch up to 'float' or should I shim it as described in earlier posts on this site?

Please help it is snowing like crazy up here in BC but I don't want to ride until I fix it.... scared of breaking stuff!!!
[snapback]753651[/snapback]​
Contact Tri-J on the Snowest forums. He has parts and extensive knowledge on this clutch.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Papa Roach said:
04summit said:

Contact Tri-J on the Snowest forums. He has parts and extensive knowledge on this clutch.
[snapback]754171[/snapback]​
TRI J is worthless to deal with. Been there, done that. He is just as bad as dealing with PEM when they were in business. He doesn't have chit for parts. At least not ones you need. He may have some knowledge on the clutch but that's it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This may help, should post more info about your ride

800 ho
21/43
144x2x16 camo
green/black (80% sure without going through some notes)
19.5 grams
8050-8100

PEM 11 50/42
blue/white cutler spring
setting 6 tension

Reverse works flawless. incredible backshift. Very easy on belts.

I likey

Jeremy has help alot of folks out around these sites. Think your judgement is incorrect.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
dieseldude said:
This may help, should post more info about your ride

800 ho
21/43
144x2x16 camo
green/black (80% sure without going through some notes)
19.5 grams
8050-8100

PEM 11 50/42
blue/white cutler spring
setting 6 tension

Reverse works flawless. incredible backshift. Very easy on belts.

I likey

Jeremy has help alot of folks out around these sites. Think your judgement is incorrect.

[snapback]754235[/snapback]​
Sorry I don't pass judgement on other peoples dealings with someone, only my own experiences. He Gave me the run around for over 5-6 weeks as far as any parts, and every time I asked him about setup info he said let me talk to Chris and see what he says. Then I'd call him again (because he didn't call me back like he said he would) and he would have no new info. It was typical "PEM style" dealing with him. He may know what he's doing but he just seemed like some shop tech that just made some parts on the lathe etc. He wasn't all that informative. I was very nice and polite while talking to him. I got more done on my own as far as parts and found setup info elsewhere too. Just my experience dealing with him. So NO MY JUDGEMENT IS NOT INCORRECT

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
04summit said:
I bought a hyperlite last summer from a buddy who told me to just slap it on with the new pin weights for the primary and go. It ran great and I was stoked with it until it started to develop what seemed to be intermittent backshift problems. I would be pinned always when it happened usually at the worst possible moment when the clutch should be backshifting it felt like the clutch would flutter so badly that the belt would slip and track speed and rpm would die all of a sudden like somebody stuck a huge branch in my track or something. Please help it is snowing like crazy up here in BC but I don't want to ride until I fix it.... scared of breaking stuff!!!
*cough*

I have nice proven kit for your button secondary to where you'll put that h/l on the shelf and it will collect dust...or put for sale sign on it.
S8X kit will solve those problems.

·
Registered
312 Posts
skidoo'sbest

Who else would you call if you needed something for your hyperlite? Some guys have two or three of these laying around. Jeremy is the middle guy trying to help others. i sure dont know who else i would call.

Joey, is that kit of yours better than a well set up HL or TEAM?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I guess he'd be one to contact for actual parts on the clutch other than the Spring and Helix. The Springs can be orderd from CUTLERS, which is where they're from anyway, and the Helix's are DALTON's and can be ordered from Hi-Performance Engineering. Yes RER standoffs and rollers etc. and other actual clutch parts would have to come from Chris or TriJ somehow. Chris is in business under a different name(don't know what it is though), and parts should available from somewhere.

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
dieseldude said:
skidoo'sbest

Who else would you call if you needed something for your hyperlite? Some guys have two or three of these laying around. Jeremy is the middle guy trying to help others. i sure dont know who else i would call.

Joey, is that kit of yours better than a well set up HL or TEAM?

[snapback]754839[/snapback]​
I have a "well setup" button & roller kit.
I never see a well setup hl/team as I don't check up on them, im not interested, I'm only interested in using stock parts and improve over stock calibration.

In the end its the guts that make a secondary succeed or fail.
If a hl/team is well setup then one does not need the services of my kit.
...if the avenues are exhasted while using the hl/team, then my kit is option to improve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies....!!! I am just back after a long day riding(I put the stock clutch back on
) My sled certainly felt a bit guttless but then it was super deep!

Funnily enough my belt felt like it slipped at WOT in deep snow laying the sled over to the left(clutch side)... weird??? or does that signal primary issues??
Hey dynamoe joe I nearly bought your kit but my buddy was selling the hyperlite

I recommend it to friends for sure!

so my sled is a 144 800 ho summit adrenaline with RER. The hyperlite seems to be set on 1. The buddy I bought it off weighs about 20 pounds more than me(210-220) and rides stock 800 151 so I thought it would work really good. Reverse is working fine now. Everything is pretty much stock except a can and jetting at 380 and a prefilter for the whitestuff. I have a red spring in mine. I can't tell you much more right now...

Do you know anyone in the whistler/squamish/pemberton bc area who is good with clutches??
I think I should get the whole lot serviced

Thanks for the help so far. I am sure a good service and proper setup will do a lot of good! How do you set up the clutch to have FLOAT???

·
Descending doooowwwwnnnnn
3,398 Posts
red/white spring on 1?that must be an error,it would be very tough to wind that up as there would be a ton of tension,could it be on 10?are you running the black shim and maybe the shim "tang" is in the 1st hole?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I have a Red/White spring in hole 6 with a PEM 14 for mountain riding. Haven't really done much with it yet.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
It's interesting how setups vary so much...

For high-alt riding I have 46/40 and bl/wh on hole #5. Worked very well expect I would lose RPMS on BIG climbs otherwise she would hold on 8100 all day.. I wil going to try hole #4 next year. Maybe bumping up the spring rate to a r/w too.

skidoo'sbest - sure seems like a LOT of helix (52/44) for out west...Normally you drop 2-4 degrees for high-alt in addition to less pin weight in the primary. How is that setup working for you?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
04renegade600ho said:
It's interesting how setups vary so much...

For high-alt riding I have 46/40 and bl/wh on hole #5. Worked very well expect I would lose RPMS on BIG climbs otherwise she would hold on 8100 all day.. I wil going to try hole #4 next year. Maybe bumping up the spring rate to a r/w too.

skidoo'sbest - sure seems like a LOT of helix (52/44) for out west...Normally you drop 2-4 degrees for high-alt in addition to less pin weight in the primary. How is that setup working for you?
[snapback]756910[/snapback]​
The setup is directly from a reccomendation by TURBO AL at the sled shed in Revelstoke. He has been using it for 2 seasons. He said a PEM 14 for non ported motors and a PEM 17 for ported motors both with the red/ white Cutler spring. I haven't really used it since I got this setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok think I am wrong with the number it was six.... Sorry I will try and get more info asap i had no idea I was opening such a can of worms with this clutch

Watch this space....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok some clutch info...

pem5 (gold?) helix, red spring and set on no. 6.

About the problem whan leaning to the left I think snodust is making my belt slip so I will screen off any vents/holes down there and with a good clean of the hyperlite I should be rocking this weekend!!

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
04summit said:
Do you know anyone in the whistler/squamish/pemberton bc area who is good with clutches??
I think I should get the whole lot serviced

Thanks for the help so far. I am sure a good service and proper setup will do a lot of good! How do you set up the clutch to have FLOAT???
[snapback]756063[/snapback]​
I would hit up Turbo Al, he seems to have a nice HL setup that he tells me

give him a shout

1 - 19 of 19 Posts