Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my Hyperlite on and finally got some speed runs in. I only could get 103 out of it so far but it has great reaction. I put my stock back on and noticed right away a slower hookup and did notice that the track seemed to spin out more giving less traction. I got 113 with my stock one on. I need another shim behind the Hyper to align it better with the primary because the belt is up rubbing against the inner sheave of the primary. I think I'm losing power because of this friction. When the stock was on I put the black dust cover in which seemed to align it better. Why can't you run the black dust cover with the Hyper? I would love some good input. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Who's got one?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Mine pulls like a train to 105 & floats up from there but I have yet to play with it.
Are you having any reverse problems? My secondary opens as soon as you hit reverse and try to back up.
They claim mine is the RER setup, does anyone know how to tell the RER from the non RER?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I know that the helixes get modified in some way after PEM gets them. They are Dalton helixes. So which way did you have the dust cover facing. Mine got stuck on when I faced the cupped end toward the engine side and then the clutch wouldn't turn at all.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Mark your primary with a marker and do a few WFO runs and check for full shift.

What # is your spring on?

What helix?

What rpms? Does it drop or raise at all from a dead stop?

Do you have adjustable pins in your primary? If not....get some.

I got a little tuning in on mine.

I bolted it on and got a solid pull to 80mph and it would slowly pull to 100mph with 19.3 grams @8000 rpms. Spring in hole #6

Added 2.2 grams pin weight and it pulls hard all the way to 100mph then to 110mph @7800 rpms. Spring in hole #6......and this is just the beginning!

Backshift was lame so I went to hole #4 and it is 100% better with the same results in upshift.

I adjusted the clickers for 8000 and it lost power. Looks like 7800 is my sweet spot on my tach.

This clutch needs some break in time to loosen up and it will react even better.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
revmeup said:
Mine pulls like a train to 105 & floats up from there but I have yet to play with it.
Are you having any reverse problems? My secondary opens as soon as you hit reverse and try to back up.
They claim mine is the RER setup, does anyone know how to tell the RER from the non RER?
[snapback]259493[/snapback]​
The RER version has 3 red stand-offs on the helix that stops the sheaves from seperating all the way.

I'm also having the same issues.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Did you align the hyperlite per the instructions, if not your belt may be runnig at an angle and will cause a loss of power. Like Antman says you can use the black cover as a shim if yuo turn it around. What rpms are you running (stock vs hyperlite) this is critical. You need to make sure your rpms are where they should be for your 800 and with the spring/helix combo on the hyperlite you could be running low on the rpms. I have played with mine a lot over this past weekend and have learned much. I also put in a set of adjustable pins in the primary clutch and was able to get my cliker back to #3, I was at #5 with the hyperlite, which has helped the top end big time. These are critical areas that need attention to make the clutch work the way it is designed. Also when you align the clutch make sure it is not hitting the speedo bearing cover I guess some guys are having trouble with that, on mine it was not a problem as I had to add a shim to align it. Keep testing they do work but the rpms are critical this is not just a bolt on clutch and go but it is not that bad to get to the desired rpms either.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
REV-I-DOO said:
revmeup said:
The RER version has 3 red stand-offs on the cover that stops the sheaves from seperating all the way.

[snapback]259522[/snapback]​
Thats what they told me is the red stops, what did they tell you for a fix?

I have no reverse now.............

Did you get the darting issues worked out??

What did you end up shimming this out in the jackshaft??

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
revmeup said:
REV-I-DOO said:
revmeup said:
The RER version has 3 red stand-offs on the cover that stops the sheaves from seperating all the way.

[snapback]259522[/snapback]​
Thats what they told me is the red stops, what did they tell you for a fix?

I have no reverse now.............

Did you get the darting issues worked out??

What did you end up shimming this out in the jackshaft??
[snapback]259533[/snapback]​
There is no fix yet, but he's looking into it.

Yeah......the darting issue is better....I emailed you on the skis.

I have all the stock shims plus the dust cover pounded out flat. It looks right on and I have no unusual belt wear in 200 miles.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My spring is in the 5th hole I have a PEM11 with a black spring with white,my tach goes to 7900-8000. Real strong to 80 and takes some distance to get to 103, I don't have adjustable pins and have done nothing to my primary yet. Don't know much about my primary as far as tuning. I know it has 414 ramps, a violet spring and I believe 16.5 gram pins.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
skidoo said:
My spring is in the 5th hole I have a PEM11 with a black spring with white,my tach goes to 7900-8000. Real strong to 80 and takes some distance to get to 103, I don't have adjustable pins and have done nothing to my primary yet. Don't know much about my primary as far as tuning. I know it has 414 ramps, a violet spring and I believe 16.5 gram pins.
[snapback]259549[/snapback]​
You need the adjustable pins.

I'm running 21.5 grams on a 600ho and it pulls like a mutha!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
skidoo said:
You do need some pins and a different primary spring too.
I have a violet in mine right now its ok but gonna try red.
Call Bill Cudney he'll hook you up.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the Primary hard to take apart? and work on?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
skidoo said:
Is the Primary hard to take apart? and work on?
[snapback]259579[/snapback]​
real simple, remove the bolt from the crank and pull it off. The moveable half will slide right out then you just pull it apart by hand. To change the pins all you need is side cutters to get 3 cotter pins out, to change the spring you need a 6mm allen and a spring compressor (or a piece of threaded rod will work).
Just be sure you keep the balance mark lined up on all the pieces.It looks like a V on the 2 pieces.
You should have the manual if your gonna start tweaking your sled.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you have never taken one apart I don't recommend you doing it alone the first time. Maybe your local dealer can show you the ins and outs, since you need the clutch tools order from him and tell him you want him to show you. Its not hard once you know what you are doing but you can really make a mess of things if you donj't and go by the seat of the pants or someone on here talking you through it. You know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
REV-I-DOO said:
skidoo said:
You need the adjustable pins.

I'm running 21.5 grams on a 600ho and it pulls like a mutha!
[snapback]259556[/snapback]​
I have a 04 Gade and I swear Chris told me that I should drop pin weight if anything. This would raise the engagement. Are you using a stock primary spring? If not what is your engagement? I have not run mine yet but will be soon..

RK

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The primary is completely stock

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
skidoo said:
[snapback]259891[/snapback]​
Seems strange that you would be adding weight to the primary.. Maybe you secondary is setup wrong because adding weight to your primary is going to lower your engagement which is generally the opposite direction of any performance clutch kit. I know some of the clutch kits do use a lot more weight but they are also using stronger primary springs.

You should call Chris and see what's his recommendation...

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
04renegade600ho said:
skidoo said:
[snapback]259891[/snapback]​
Seems strange that you would be adding weight to the primary.. Maybe you secondary is setup wrong because adding weight to your primary is going to lower your engagement which is generally the opposite direction of any performance clutch kit. I know some of the clutch kits do use a lot more weight but they are also using stronger primary springs.

You should call Chris and see what's his recommendation...
[snapback]260026[/snapback]​
Rereading some of your posts suggest you are happy with the setup and it is pulling real hard so I guess there is no reason to be calling Chris but something does not seem right here..

Do you know your engagement RPM?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.