Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
GotBoost?
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock bolt is to short to install the clutch and it didn't come with a new bolt but I don't know if it was supposed to so what did everyone else use?

I just put the RER on my new clutch but I can't figure out how to spread the sheaves to put the belt on. I thought it was like a Cat clutch and you just rotate the inner sheave and slip the belt on but it doesn't work on the Hyperlite so what's the trick?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
as doodud said twist then push. I try and start the belt on the top then when I have twisted and pushed sink the belt to hold the sheaves open. Then rotate belt around. (takes me opening the sheaves in two steps)
Yes you need a longer bolt I don't remember exactly how long, sorry.
Http://www.hotsleds.com for the phone number to ask Chris for the bolt lenght.
05SDI

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I bought a new bolt for mine that was longer.

·
GotBoost?
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just talked to Chris and I guess mine got shipped out before they started sending the clutches with new bolts so I'm off to the hardware store. Mine didn't come with instructions either so I had him fax them to me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree with the other guys about spreading the sheaves but you almost need to be a garilla to do it. I have found I lock the break get the belt to the beginning point in the secondary then push and twist like hell till I can get the belt into the front portion of the secondary down in about a 1/4" then I raise the back of the sled release the brake and turn the secondary by hand and as it rotates the belt drops down in. This is one of the toughest clutches I have ever had to put a belt on. Just wait till the belt wears so it goes down into the sheeves and you go to take it off, just as hard. Still love the performance of the clutch though and wouldn't change it for anything. 1700 miles and counting.

G

·
moparwilly said:
I agree with the other guys about spreading the sheaves but you almost need to be a garilla to do it............. This is one of the toughest clutches I have ever had to put a belt on.
You got that right. Not sure what I would do if I blew a belt in -30 C weather. Heck you cant even warm your fingures off the clutch 'cause it never gets hot. It seems to get a little easier once you get some miles on it though.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Get the Arctic Belt Adjuster(Reference #175-200) from HI-PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING for setting belt deflection. It works great and it helps with removing/installing the belt.

Deflection is very critical for the RER to work properly and it will perform better if you set the belt tight.

I found that if I set the deflection tight so I couldn't spin the belt, it made a big difference in performance on the low end.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
yeah I bought the deflector and the thing is junkadoo. It turns and then binds up. You never actually get any adjustment. Not sure what is wrong but I can't for the life of me get the thing to turn and adjust; and the allen screw is very loose so it isn't that

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Try taking the allen out and spread the collar apart just a little. Apply a little grease to the threads and then try it.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
ok, I'll try that. I would very much like to use the tool since it would be an easy way to adjust

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey doodud what exactly do you have for shims behind the HYper and in what order? Does anyone have a pic of their adjuster installed that would be great.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have the 3 stock Skidoo shims plus 5 regular washers. To use the belt adjuster you do need to remove the spacers from between the sheaves.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
If you take all the shims out from in the clutch then the 2 sheaves rub against eachother

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Here ya go!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
That's how I had mine. Did you put a washer between the adjuster and the front "faceplate" to keep it from scraping it? REV-I-DOO do you have all your shims out from inside the clutch?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts