Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a buddy and I were talking about this over a beer in the garage today.

As he works in that sector, he has heard that the buyers of Hydro 1 have been looking into all the possible liability issues.

They're looking to see if allowing access to hydro lines to clubs like the OFSC could leave them liable in any injury or death cases.

As these new owners are only financially driven, they could see allowing any access to their land too high of a financial risk.

The result will be to close down the hydro corridors to all users.

Has anyone else heard the same?

If true, this and Bill 100 are going to change the face of snowmobiling in Ontario. Good bye to the trail network as we know it....

·
Registered
560 Posts
This sport could be in big trouble, if this is true. Knowing big business these days, they will shut it down to mitigate any risk to them.

·
Registered
2022 XCR 850 136
1,402 Posts
I don't see it happening....there is probably more liability on not granting the OFSC on the hydro line then it is to grant access. The OFSC takes on the liability on a trail once established, not the land owner. Thats the benefit for land owners allowing the OFSC to borrow a piece of land during prescribed dates. Without granted access, the land owner takes on all liability and is responsible on deterring snowmobiles.

Dan

·
2nd Whore in command
102,077 Posts
Wasn't there a post last year about this? I cant see anything changing for the new owners compared to the way it has been for Hydro 1 with respects to the OFSC and their agreement on the use of the land?

It would be a real bummer if they did pull the land use from the OFSC, that would be worse than driving the trails with a "CAN" on your sled!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't see it happening....there is probably more liability on not granting the OFSC on the hydro line then it is to grant access. The OFSC takes on the liability on a trail once established, not the land owner. Thats the benefit for land owners allowing the OFSC to borrow a piece of land during prescribed dates. Without granted access, the land owner takes on all liability and is responsible on deterring snowmobiles.

Dan
Thats an interesting angle to look at it from. Kinda like how its beneficial to a store owner to pay off the local Mob boss to protect them from the small time gangs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hydro does not own the land ontario realty corporation does
I believe its more of what's on that land.

I was referring to the actual towers, poles, lines, guide wires, etc. that they are in charge of maintaining.

In the past if something were to happen it would trickle down to the Ontario Government to pick up any cost.

Now, a private company may see that any "potential" risk is to high.

Even with the waver and the OFSC taking liability, if these new owners feel they could be dragged to court to defend themselves they will take steps to prevent it.

I.E - close access...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Have you read Bill 100? If not, you might want to before you spread any more false information.
And what "false" information did I spread exactly?

The results of this bill are already showing in Bracebridge as reported in another topic.

Its how this Bill 100 is interpreted by the landowners that will affect trails. And that's the truth...

·
Registered
330 Posts

The results of this bill are already showing in Bracebridge as reported in another topic.

Its how this Bill 100 is viewed by the landowners that will affect trails - false or not.
Fair enough, you don't intend to imply that Bill 100 will negatively impact unwilling landowners.

Unfortunately, there are many readers who are under the impression that it will, and the more that people post statements like "Bill 100 will change the face of snowmobiling", the harder it is to set them straight. People have always been more willing to believe negatives than positives. I read Bill 100, and like a few others here who have actually read the bill and posted about it, I think it will be a benefit to the trail system, not a detriment.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Agree with above I didn't read the whole thing as I passed out from boredom but it does seem like it will be keeping the trails we have open.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hydro One will be the majority holder vs the private buyers

I'm not worried

Reactions: snotcicles

·
Registered
414 Posts
If they sell we won't be able to afford to ride anymore so it's a moot point.
Isn't that the truth. My Hydro bills in N/W Ontario are unbelievable now, paid over $360.00 for hydro this last month, even though we use no electric heat and have propane for hot water. Can't imagine how privatising will do anything but hurt worse, only one option for electric, take it or leave it (I think they call that a monopoly).

·
True happiness is never trying a sled better than
14,562 Posts
It will make a solar system much more feasible. That's for sure.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If Hydro One has an "easement" for a power line across private property or Crown Land (is that ORC?) doesn't the decision on who crosses the property to the owner?

Example, you have a hundred acres and a power line crosses it. Aren't you allowed to say who can use your property? Or does the easement agreement overrule this?

·
Registered
330 Posts
If Hydro One has an "easement" for a power line across private property or Crown Land (is that ORC?) doesn't the decision on who crosses the property to the owner?

Example, you have a hundred acres and a power line crosses it. Aren't you allowed to say who can use your property? Or does the easement agreement overrule this?
For Hydro line easements, the owner typically retains the rights to control surface use and to control access by anyone other than Hydro and/or their contractors.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
That's because the Bracebridge club did a pi $$ poor job keeping local land owners correctly informed. As well you can thank the OLA & the MLA in that area.

quote name="Phelpston Renegade" post="15673521" timestamp="1456179542"]

Its how this Bill 100 is interpreted by the landowners that will affect trails. And that's the truth...[/quote]

·
True happiness is never trying a sled better than
14,562 Posts
I think that too.They are selling 60% unless we can stop them. Hard to believe they actually got re-elected. It's literally criminal what they've done.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts