Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was there briefly before the rain started and saw Howard's AC F8 there but no Etec. Is he done developing Etec? Or is the F8 his new pet sled? WIll be interesting to see it run--hopefully today if rain holds off.

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
The Cat is the best sled out there. Its faster, better looking, better handling and better riding. I can't understand why anybody would buy anything but a Cat. Makes you wonder why Ski Doo sells twice as many sleds every year. I guess that just shows you how dumb snowmobilers are.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Cat is the best sled out there. Its faster, better looking, better handling and better riding. I can't understand why anybody would buy anything but a Cat. Makes you wonder why Ski Doo sells twice as many sleds every year. I guess that just shows you how dumb snowmobilers are.
Why did you buy a doo then??

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
[quote name='XP123' timestamp='1316888229' post='3474529']
[/qcats are cheaper than doos they should sell more you would think the yellow sleds are like cat nip

·
Registered
491 Posts
From HCS

ttraynor;5923519 said:
Spoke with Billy Howard(great guy--shared lots of info) and the f8 is trapping 126 mph to Etec 121s--with both sleds prepped and owned by Howards. Says f8 should gain 5+hp with fuel controller. Speedworks total pipe system and 3 degree key. Etec is similiary prepped and is the stronger 2010.5 model. Will be finalizing a trail clutch kit. He rules at this with Doos. Bottom line: he's very happy and we're good to go.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am the OP here and the quoted reply from HCS. Cat was trapping 9.95s with Billy at 210 pounds. Etec was trying to stay at 10.20 for bracket racing with his teamate who weighed a bit less but was running full tank of fuel to keep it slower--and keep the 10.2 dial-in--could go a tiny bit quicker? Admittedly, I don't understand how bracket racing works.

To clarify--Cat is CURRENTLY running the Speedwworks full exhaust and timing key. This is the 175 HP Dynotech test sled. Adding the controller, Billy figures 5 HP--potentially more. He is thinking 180+ and will Dyno to verify. He feels there is more to gain--and some clutch work to dial- in.

After me Etec went down twice (Billy believes it is Ethanol-related-- always run that blue Fuel additive), I had to try the (finally) competitive Cat. I wasn't thrilled with leaving Doo and will certainly come back. But Cat runs scared! And chassis/suspension look promising. Black retro is best looking sled out IMO. All good.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Hmmm Krom, seems you failed to mention the details, if i read the responce right?
I'm sure they're both great machines, i'm just amazed on how far a non-racing competitor will go, just to believe in his mind he has the best.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm Krom, seems you failed to mention the details, if i read the responce right?
I'm sure they're both great machines, i'm just amazed on how far a non-racing competitor will go, just to believe in his mind he has the best.
I don't think Krom left anything out--it was my original post which lacked details. I was led to believe the Cat is faster up top by the numbers I stated going full-out. Billy's sled was the F8 all day and seemed impressed by it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
A well tuned carbed 800 will drive around an etec all day around here. M. Landry's 08 800R won 800 and 1000 stock at haydays with one. There are no "tunes" available from BRP race dept for the etecs and consumers cannot get into the box so for now, even for a trail rider, the carbed 800s are still the way to go if you're a tuner. If not then enjoy the fuel mileage/oil consumption of the etecs. This is not just my opinion. Its fact. Now with that being said I'm hearing the 12's may have what the summits had last year. (which is what we were supposed to have according to BRP). False advertising lol. Long live the carbed powerteks or open up the ecu for the tuners!!

·
Mass Confussion
2,988 Posts
Bracket racing is one thing. Billy did make a pass of 9.81sec. @ 124.5mph on the etec and that is without adding or taking away any fuel.

·
Registered
491 Posts
A well tuned carbed 800 will drive around an etec all day around here. M. Landry's 08 800R won 800 and 1000 stock at haydays with one. There are no "tunes" available from BRP race dept for the etecs and consumers cannot get into the box so for now, even for a trail rider, the carbed 800s are still the way to go if you're a tuner. If not then enjoy the fuel mileage/oil consumption of the etecs. This is not just my opinion. Its fact. Now with that being said I'm hearing the 12's may have what the summits had last year. (which is what we were supposed to have according to BRP). False advertising lol. Long live the carbed powerteks or open up the ecu for the tuners!!
FYI: the 2012 cats came in 1,2 in 800 and 1000 class at snowbash, with Landry coming in 4th in 800, not sure if he made the final in 1000.

If your on a doo, and want to tune your only choice is the Ptec... Until the doo race department opens up the e-tec ecu (I wouldn't hold your breath for that) or the aftermarket comes out with a controller (the outboards have been on the water for over a decade, and do several times the volume of sled sales, but no one has been able to develop a controller, or hack the ecu, yet)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
FYI: the 2012 cats came in 1,2 in 800 and 1000 class at snowbash, with Landry coming in 4th in 800, not sure if he made the final in 1000.

If your on a doo, and want to tune your only choice is the Ptec... Until the doo race department opens up the e-tec ecu (I wouldn't hold your breath for that) or the aftermarket comes out with a controller (the outboards have been on the water for over a decade, and do several times the volume of sled sales, but no one has been able to develop a controller, or hack the ecu, yet)
Yup I read the sno bash results. It was only a matter of time. My post was less about doo vs. Cat however and more about XP vs. XP but sorry for getting a bit off topic. Doo could care less about drag racing anymore.

·
Just the Tip!!
2,504 Posts
Yup I read the sno bash results. It was only a matter of time. My post was less about doo vs. Cat however and more about XP vs. XP but sorry for getting a bit off topic. Doo could care less about drag racing anymore.
its sad to say but its true, there more hellbent on being EPA compliant..
Manuel made Stock final But red lit.. Manuel is running Guy Bretons sled since him and Sylvain are teamed up together with Manuel.. New Cat's testing at D&D test field were Running 5.12's and Low to high teens on the Stalker. faster than most improvers just insane..Hopin Doo Gets something going here. Im startin to think Spening 12k on a Etec was a mistake, as of right now there not going anywhere.. Waay to sensitive.. But moral of the thread is Im not a Cat guy but if i had to pick a sled to win with it be a Cat right now.. Billy is Cat by heart so its an easy choice..

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
its sad to say but its true, there more hellbent on being EPA compliant..
Manuel made Stock final But red lit.. Manuel is running Guy Bretons sled since him and Sylvain are teamed up together with Manuel.. New Cat's testing at D&D test field were Running 5.12's and Low to high teens on the Stalker. faster than most improvers just insane..Hopin Doo Gets something going here. Im startin to think Spening 12k on a Etec was a mistake, as of right now there not going anywhere.. Waay to sensitive.. But moral of the thread is Im not a Cat guy but if i had to pick a sled to win with it be a Cat right now.. Billy is Cat by heart so its an easy choice..
Grass racing is still alive (although not in Ontario anymore) and it still draws pretty decent crowds that are seeing a sea of green lately. Sure its not like it was 10 years ago but you can still find a race we just have to travel to find one. Everything goes in cycles however and I forsee snowcross already starting to die off.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts