Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dootalk and Youtube are excellent sources of information when trying to repair your sled or just understand what is going on. For example I don't know how many hours I've cursed at trying to remove Roller spring pins on a QRS clutch to replace the rollers with no success. Some people seem to have no issue pulling them out however I did! I could see that many others on Dootalk had similar difficulties and I couldn't find any Youtube Video showing me someone taking them out (easily or the hard way) to help me out so I gave up and put it all back together.

But thanks to SUV1 that informed me that removing the Jackshaft on a Rev-XU was easy, I went at it a second time but this time I thought I'd make some videos to help out anyone in the future. Kind of like "Pay it Forward" :)

As mentioned in the videos, I'm just a do-it-yourselfer that hates to pay people to do what I think I can do myself.

Hope these videos can be of use to others.

Pierre

Video's to date - Will add more as I get the parts and complete the job!

Part 1 - Problem description and jackshaft removal

Part 2 - Helix removal and first failed attempt to remove pin

Part 3 - QRS Bearing removal with home made tool and Pin removal

Part 4 - Roller and Spring Pin Installation

Part 5 - Jackshaft Bearing Installation

Part 6 - QRS Spring Torsion Adjustment

·
RPG
1,216 Posts
Great videos! Instead of drilling the pins, try a tap and a set of vice grips. The tap grabs the roll pins tight and then just pull them out with the vice grips. I like your bearing puller tool also. Think I'm going to copy it for myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RPG! Tried the tap with no success. Actually broke the tap as well. I ordered 5/64 screw extractor to try next time I need to do this again. Maybe I'll eventually get lucky and do one of these the easy way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had a thought after watching your videos. What size drill would fit in the center of the roll pin? Could you use that to drill thru the roll pin and thru the back side of the clutch creating a guide hole for your 1/8 drill from the back?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan, that is exactly what I did. I used a 3/32 drill bit and that fits perfectly inside the roll pin. The problem on the first attempt was I used a cheap drill bit and it busted while trying to drill and pull the pin at the same time. For the other side, I used a better quality 3/32 drill bit and drilled right through. The roll pin acted as a guide. When it comes out on the other side, it doesn't come out on the flat side of the clutch but rather on an edge. I used a Dremel with a small round head bit to gouge the hole flat so that I would not have a problem when starting to drill the hole from the back. I used a 1/8 bit to make a larger hole and get to the pin. To my pleasant surprise, the alignment was bang on because when I pulled the pin out, you can see that it was chewed up evenly by the 1/8 drill bit.

Next time I have to do this (most likely my sled next year), I will try to get the roll pins out using everything I tried (tap, drill bit, filled allen key, etc..) but I won't be trying too long if they are seized in like these were. In a case like that, drilling them out is quicker and your problem is solved.

Pierre

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Left hand drill bits are great for backing out such items

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Interesting! I need to get buy some and try that! Thanks.
i never believed it until I saw it done then did it myself. The drill bit is digging into but spinning backwards and all of a sudden the bolts backs out. The heat caused by drilling helps too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Added the Roller and Spring Pin installation video (Part 4). I will add two more parts, Bearing Installation and Spring Torsion adjustment tomorrow and the day after. I'll also add a "What you need to Know" summary of what I learned on the roller change that can surely help many save time and frustrations.

Hope these videos helps some of you guys save time and even money, because that's the objective!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have an expedition LE 2015...Will I have the same issues with the PIN's on the QRS? Does anyone know?
Based on what I see in the parts list (web) all 2015 LEs (600,900,1200) have M3 x 30mm pins. So this is great and easy to do. 1/8" punch is all you need and you can punch them right through.

Have fun!

Pierre

·
Registered
24 Posts
Based on what I see in the parts list (web) all 2015 LEs (600,900,1200) have M3 x 30mm pins. So this is great and easy to do. 1/8" punch is all you need and you can punch them right through.

Have fun!

Pierre
Merci Pierre... this will be my first time removing the primary and secondary on this skidoo. Also my first time actually trying to figure out what is going on with my sled. Hope to find something worn a bit. Your video was a great learning tool for my task ahead.
I have learn so much already.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Why are you trying to drill and easy out the pins? Just get a 1/8" roll pin punch and small hammer tap it out the back side of clutch. Done it many of times.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why are you trying to drill and easy out the pins? Just get a 1/8" roll pin punch and small hammer tap it out the back side of clutch. Done it many of times.
Your correct except for 2013. The pins don't go through the clutch and they are a real pain.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Have fun!

Pierre
+1 ; 1/8" standard punch worked great from me 2017 Rene 600ETEC. Didn't need to use the roll pin punch or find a 3mm punch. Replaced the pivot bolt with the earlier design with the clip, I just looked up the part number from an earlier model year. I was expecting removing the pin to be a b**th, had I known how easy it was i wouldn't have bothered making the switch but I purchased the parts and so just went ahead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts