Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes hello to all I have been having some trouble with my 81 ski doo citation 4500 u see the thing is i thought it was clutch problems as i have been switching clutches on and off my sled for the last 2 weeks and still nothing then after speaking to a few people they tell me that it might be running on one cylinder but heres the catch i have got spark going to both cylinders so i am wanting to know if there is any way to check for spark while the machine is running or to see if it is firing in the actual cylinder since ive read about the weak condensers not firing while under pressure

THANKS

RUBEN

·
Troll Patrol ®
15,529 Posts
Hes asking how to test for spark. Checkin compression is not the answer.

·
Scuttle Buttin' Solo
73,192 Posts
While it's running pull of one spark plug cap at a time....listen to a change in tone......then replace the cap.........also while the cap is off and in your hand you should get a jolt if it is sparking and if you hold the cap close you should see a spark jump from the cap to the plug if there is one.....

Or when it ain't running stick your pinky finger in the end of the cap one at a time and pull 'er over........

I'm sure there are better safer ways but neither of these will cost you a cent, and you'll know right then and there..........

·
Registered
372 Posts
He said he thought it was running on one cylinder, and that's why he was wanting to check for spark with the plug in and hooked up, first thing I would do is check compression. Much more likely to be low compression than not firing under pressure due to weak condenser.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts

·
DADs got er its ok son
29,121 Posts
While it's running pull of one spark plug cap at a time....listen to a change in tone......then replace the cap.........also while the cap is off and in your hand you should get a jolt if it is sparking and if you hold the cap close you should see a spark jump from the cap to the plug if there is one.....

Or when it ain't running stick your pinky finger in the end of the cap one at a time and pull 'er over........

I'm sure there are better safer ways but neither of these will cost you a cent, and you'll know right then and there..........
omg lol

Sent from area 69

·
DADs got er its ok son
29,121 Posts
Put new plugs in first.. Lay them on engine and pull cord with ignition on.. U will see spark..
Then try running it with new plugs... Under pressure bad plugs will loose spark but work out of engine... Wipe spit on Y pipe it will instantly boil off the side thats running... Start with new plugs, run it.. If no dice check wires for ohm readings..then replace condensors .... Cool sled!!

Sent from area 69

1 - 8 of 8 Posts