Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been testing the new G5 Gauge & BRP GO App recently.

Setting up the share your ride feature so you can see your buddies on your gauge and they can see you is pretty cool.

For those that haven't tried this feature yet, or have had trouble...check out this video.

I also have many other new videos out recently on many Mach Z items.

Thanks gang!
rockerdan

Registered
The more online instructional videos, the better. The same questions seem to come up every week and I've come to the conclusion that people are a lot quicker to post questions or look online than they are to spend 10 minutes in the garage figuring out their new machine. I went with the 10" screen and really like it. I would like to see a wireless adaptor like Android Auto and Carplay offer for shorter trips when you don't have to worry about keeping your phone charged. But aside from that, I really like the function of the screen and will probably order another this spring. The ability for BRP to add features via the app and the wireless update system on the screen should allow BRP to continue to improve the system as it further develops. The vehicle diagnostics page is also nice to have.

Registered
If you download your ride area then your mapping on the guage works without cell service
Yes that is what it is supposed to do, it worked fine for me in NY without cell service but I couldn鈥檛 get it to work in Quebec on my last ride without cell service. I just created another ride and downloaded it, returning to Quebec this weekend and hopefully it works properly.
鈥極ther than a few small glitches I鈥檓 somewhat happy with the gauge. Fingers crossed that it will function properly this weekend.

Registered
Only works with cell service. Major deficiency.
Not true at all. The only thing that requires cell service is the buddy tracking. Once you download an area or set a ride, the system requires absolutely zero cell service. The mapping is downloaded, and the system then only requires the phones GPS signal which has nothing to do with cell signal or cell towers. Last weekend we went a good 300 miles with most areas having little to no cell service and aside from the buddy tracking being intermittent, the mapping and GPS positioning worked perfectly.

Registered
BRP GO still falls way behind Ride Command no matter how hard you try to defend it. Needing your phone plugged in is the first failure. It just creates so many extra steps along this way which is not necessary if they had a built in GPS receiver, storage on the screen/device to load the maps vs having to download every time on your phone and a V2V antenna to communicate with other sleds without cell phone coverage needed. Where we ride there is very little cell phone coverage and therefore the "buddy" tracking is useless. Same for the guys that ride in the mountains. Also, by watching the number of steps it takes to set up ride sharing on the BRP GO app is ridiculous. You should be able to create a group once and always have the same people in it and see them. But no, from what I understand, you send your friends a link by texting them, then they accept and become a friend. Next go to Maps, tap on Go, scroll up on map look for riders, but first you have to save ride for later, then add your buddies again by clicking on plus sign and checking the box by each name you want to add to the ride, then confirm, then hit start, then share my location. Then the other riders have to click on rides, then tap on upcoming rides, then share location, then click start. What happens when you stop for lunch, do you have to go through this painful process again?

With Ridecommand, even with my kids and others in our group, the only thing they have to do is select the group that I created and they will be forever in my group. It's alwlays there, never have to create it again or they never need to join again. All they have to do is share their location if they haven't already. That is it. I can see everyone whether I have a route mapped out or not. Stop for lunch, turn the sled on and everyone appears on the screen. Don't have to go through 20 steps. I can't imagine having to do this process BRPs way with our large group, it would be absolutely painful. There is no doubt the Polaris absolutely knocked it out of the park with their gauge and ridecommand. Maybe on Gen6 Skidoo will have something that can compete.

Registered
BRP GO still falls way behind Ride Command no matter how hard you try to defend it. Needing your phone plugged in is the first failure. It just creates so many extra steps along this way which is not necessary if they had a built in GPS receiver, storage on the screen/device to load the maps vs having to download every time on your phone and a V2V antenna to communicate with other sleds without cell phone coverage needed. Where we ride there is very little cell phone coverage and therefore the "buddy" tracking is useless. Same for the guys that ride in the mountains. Also, by watching the number of steps it takes to set up ride sharing on the BRP GO app is ridiculous. You should be able to create a group once and always have the same people in it and see them. But no, from what I understand, you send your friends a link by texting them, then they accept and become a friend. Next go to Maps, tap on Go, scroll up on map look for riders, but first you have to save ride for later, then add your buddies again by clicking on plus sign and checking the box by each name you want to add to the ride, then confirm, then hit start, then share my location. Then the other riders have to click on rides, then tap on upcoming rides, then share location, then click start. What happens when you stop for lunch, do you have to go through this painful process again?

With Ridecommand, even with my kids and others in our group, the only thing they have to do is select the group that I created and they will be forever in my group. It's alwlays there, never have to create it again or they never need to join again. All they have to do is share their location if they haven't already. That is it. I can see everyone whether I have a route mapped out or not. Stop for lunch, turn the sled on and everyone appears on the screen. Don't have to go through 20 steps. I can't imagine having to do this process BRPs way with our large group, it would be absolutely painful. There is no doubt the Polaris absolutely knocked it out of the park with their gauge and ridecommand. Maybe on Gen6 Skidoo will have something that can compete.
But do the new G5 LEDs work as good if not better than those LEDs found on the Polaris? Or are they the same mediocre like this BRP Go? We never see threads about the G5 LEDs.

I'm glad I use the Garmin Tread for group ride and satellite based navigation. Reading these problems make my head hurt

OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you download your ride area then your mapping on the guage works without cell service
Yes and No....It is wise to DL your area before you leave. This way your trails will always be on the map in good resolution.

While sharing your ride, having cell service does affect how your buddies see you on their screen, and visa versa. I go into detail in this video what happens when you come in and out of cell service.

Not perfect by any means, but better then no sharing at all.

Dan

Registered

It takes about 1/3 of a beer and 6 French fries for everyone to click on the ride and hit start. Not a big deal but i guess everything has its limitations.

Registered
But do the new G5 LEDs work as good if not better than those LEDs found on the Polaris? Or are they the same mediocre like this BRP Go? We never see threads about the G5 LEDs.

I'm glad I use the Garmin Tread for group ride and satellite based navigation. Reading these problems make my head hurt
What do LED headlights have to do with the gauge? The world is full of whataboutisms. I understand ski doo is the greatest thing ever at everything, and it hurts to see another company do something better.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts