Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a lot of time trying to stretch the chain from the chaincase and get it around the gears. It doesnt seem to fit. I took the chain tightener out to get maximum room. Not sure what the problem is. 97 ski doo 500 deluxe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I spent a lot of time trying to stretch the chain from the chaincase and get it around the gears. It doesnt seem to fit. I took the chain tightener out to get maximum room. Not sure what the problem is. 97 ski doo 500 deluxe.

I believe the easiest way to get the chain on it to remove the top gear and put it in the chain, then put chain around bottom sprocket and slide top on while chain is around it.

I believe that is what I did years ago when I changed out top sprocket.

Post a pic or two; that will help us identify other potential issues.

Doo02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
I believe the easiest way to get the chain on it to remove the top gear and put it in the chain, then put chain around bottom sprocket and slide top on while chain is around it.

Doo02

Sorta. If you do that you're still bending the chain at an awkward angle when you put it around the bottom gear. Best way is to take both gears out and put them into the chain as they would sit on the sled. Then slide the gears onto the splines in the chain case.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Sorta. If you do that you're still bending the chain at an awkward angle when you put it around the bottom gear. Best way is to take both gears out and put them into the chain as they would sit on the sled. Then slide the gears onto the splines in the chain case.

Make sense. Yea, it might kinda create a jam/pinch point if only remove one gear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Doo02

Problem is my top gear is stuck on. I over tightened the nut to get that clip through and now I cant get the gear off.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Problem is my top gear is stuck on. I over tightened the nut to get that clip through and now I cant get the gear off.

Lock the brake and loosen it up

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

That nut shouldn't be that tight to begin with. It should be no more than finger tight. That's why they use a cotter key to hold the nut into place. Be sure to bend the cotter key so it can not rub on the inside of the chain case and wear through it.

Read your manual.

Lynn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts