Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am taking a trip to Wyoming in March with my 06 Renegade 800. The sled now has a 1 and1/4 " x 16 x 136 on it. Can I put a 2 inch lug track on this sled without changing drivers? Does anyone know for a fact, before I buy one? thanks. A guy I work with just had some friends get back from where I am going. They said that even the 144" tracks were having lots of trouble. This is the reason i want to go as big as I can.

·
Registered
110 Posts
waxman said:
i am taking a trip to Wyoming in March with my 06 Renegade 800. The sled now has a 1 and1/4 " x 16 x 136 on it. Can I put a 2 inch lug track on this sled without changing drivers? Does anyone know for a fact, before I buy one? thanks. A guy I work with just had some friends get back from where I am going. They said that even the 144" tracks were having lots of trouble. This is the reason i want to go as big as I can.
[snapback]697165[/snapback]​
No, it won't fit. You need to change drivers. I have an 05 renengade and put a 144/16/2 on but had to change to 9tooth extroverts. Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok then, I am assuming that a 1 and3/4 will fit, since it is a spring order option. My question is, is there going to be much difference in a 1/2 inch? I mean, is it a noticeable deep snow improvement, over what I have?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I know this is off topic Waxman but where were they in WY i also have been a little concerned i'm leaving friday next week for 7 days of riding in Alpine just south of Jackson Hole

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
Yes a 1 3/4 will fit some rivits will have to be reversed in the tunnel so the track won't be damaged

·
Banned
230 Posts
waxman said:
Ok then, I am assuming that a 1 and3/4 will fit, since it is a spring order option. My question is, is there going to be much difference in a 1/2 inch? I mean, is it a noticeable deep snow improvement, over what I have?
[snapback]697240[/snapback]​
I had a 136 x 15 x 1.25 on my 04 gade. Swapped it out with a 136 x 16 x 1.75 and the difference is pretty impressive. Pretty good deep snow capability and no problems overheating in low snow conditions on the trails....

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
That half an inch will multiply your climbing ability!
1.25 is a useless joke in the mountains!

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I put A 2" lug track on my 04 gade without any other changes. If the track is not notched then you have to remove the tunnel protectors but that's it. Maybe the 06s are different but I don't believe they are.

9T extros would be recommended but 10T (std) drivers worked fine for me!

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Well since doo built most of the Summits in 04 and 05 with 2" lug track and 10 lug drivers ... a 2 inch will definitely fit.

I ran a 2 inch on my 03 last year with 9 lug drivers and the short chain case.. you were not suppose to be able to do it. It helped that I have a PLP tunnel extension with drop brackets.. but that didn't help clearance in the drive area. By the same token.. I did put an 04 chain case in this year for extra clearance..

·
Registered
45 Posts
renegade8 said:
I know this is off topic Waxman but where were they in WY i also have been a little concerned i'm leaving friday next week for 7 days of riding in Alpine just south of Jackson Hole
[snapback]697245[/snapback]​
We were in the Big Horns last week and found great snow the last day we were there. The more track you can get the better.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got a 2"x136x15 on my gade with the 10T drivers and I've never ever had a problem. Works well.

I also just came back from the Big Horns. We found snow and had a great time... it is minimal in some places.... but in others it is plentiful. Watch for rocks!!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MNRenegade said:
I've got a 2"x136x15 on my gade with the 10T drivers and I've never ever had a problem. Works well.

I also just came back from the Big Horns. We found snow and had a great time... it is minimal in some places.... but in others it is plentiful. Watch for rocks!!
[snapback]698490[/snapback]​
i may be wrong, but arent the bighorn Mts east Of the Rocky Mts? I think i remember driving through them a few years ago. If I remember right, they were alot smaller, and the snow was alot more sparce. I really wish I could get a no BS answer to this question. My results are 50/50 some say yes, some say no.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm sticking with what I said yesterday. Maybe the 04's or 06's are different but on my 05 gade I put on new drivers to get the 2in lug to fit. I didn't want to remove the tunnel protectors. I mean whats harder, repairing a damaged heat exchanger or switching drivers? As far as whoever was talking about the summits with 10textros and 2inch, I belive they have a dropped chain case to make that fit. The gades don't.

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
A 2" track fits ALL 2004-2006 REVs...the ONLY change is removal of tall tunnel protectors (for studs)......anyone says anything different is wrong-BJ

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is your no B.S. answer.....

The 2in will fit just fine on your '04 or your '06.... no need to change anything. The Big Horns are East of the Rockies yes.... and the snow is sparse in some places but nice in others. Let me know if you are going to Bear Lodge and I'll will give you some hints as to where to go play.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
You might want to consider going to the Snowy's out of Laramie rather then going to the Big Horns.. right now.. the Snowy's have plenty of snow..

And based on Hollywood D on snowest... he was stuck all the time with his 136" x 2" track because of the deep snow there yesterday. Check out www.snowest.com for up todate info.. on the western sites.. for snow.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
bowhunter1 said:
I'm sticking with what I said yesterday. Maybe the 04's or 06's are different but on my 05 gade I put on new drivers to get the 2in lug to fit. I didn't want to remove the tunnel protectors. I mean whats harder, repairing a damaged heat exchanger or switching drivers? As far as whoever was talking about the summits with 10textros and 2inch, I belive they have a dropped chain case to make that fit. The gades don't.
[snapback]699036[/snapback]​
Tunnel protectors are for STUDS and if you are running a 2" track you WILL NOT be running studs!

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Yep.. you take out the tunnel protectors when you don't run studs.. that is the way doo builds the mountain sleds.. the have rub strips that are essentially flush with the cooler.. or your run nothing at all.. every mountain sled is built that way as I said.. rubber track/lugs flopping on the cooler doesn't hurt anything..

Have 5 sleds like that.. nary a problem.. by the same toke.. I have stuck a stud thru a heat exchanger..

That 2" track as Big John says.. and about three or four of the rest of us have said.. fits the 04 with 10 lug drivers.. even just barely fits an 03 with 9 lugs drivers..

Put it in and run it..

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks alot BJ, and all others that replied. I decided to just stick with the 1 and1/4 lug, and hope for favorable conditions. I wont have time to switch the track since I am taking a flatland trip 1 week before, and 1 week after my wyoming trip. Someone asked about where I was going out there, and i am staying at Turpin meadows, kinda near dubois, In the Rocky Mts. Thanks again guys Hope I dont have to do too much digging.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts