Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went out this morning about 5 minuts afrte warm up i went on to the river and then watched my engin temp suddenly rise into the red. i shut it off right away, opend the hood and watched coolent shoot out of the gasket. i dont now exackly what its called but is the one after the top head gasket by the exhaust. did i do something wrong for this gasket to blow or does it just happen. anyway has this happend to any one els and how much do you think im looking at in reparis??
any help pls.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just got my 670 motor back from the mechanics Friday and i replaced all of the gaskets for the collant hoses when i put it back in my sled. my ski doo dealer is a jerkoff so i bought gasket material from NAPA fo 2.89 and made my own. but i'm missing half a quart of coolant? but i dont see a leak so

·
Moddin'
1,823 Posts
redly said:
i went out this morning about 5 minuts afrte warm up i went on to the river and then watched my engin temp suddenly rise into the red. i shut it off right away, opend the hood and watched coolent shoot out of the gasket. i dont now exackly what its called but is the one after the top head gasket by the exhaust. did i do something wrong for this gasket to blow or does it just happen. anyway has this happend to any one els and how much do you think im looking at in reparis??
any help pls.
[snapback]289842[/snapback]​
Not really sure what gasket your talking about, but the o-ring headgasket are less than 6 dollars a piece and the outter rubber gaskets that seal around the top the cylinders for the coolant are less than 15 dollars a piece! If one is bad replace them "all" your there anyway!
goodluck

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
redly said:
does any one have ant pics of a engin. i can point it out for you.
[snapback]290504[/snapback]​
Redly,
I'm guessing its a upper cylinder head gasket? Anyhow gaskets get old and brittle. As time goes on they leak. You can help yourself here by making sure all your fastners are torqued to specs.. You didn't do anything wrong, actually you were pretty smart shutting her down right away. That temp guage possibly saved you a motor!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i went to check out my sled today and found out that its worse than i thought. turns out that the guy i bought my sled from only rebuilt half the mortor and used diffrent pistions in it for some reason. the sides of the cylnder wall are skratched and on of the pistions wernt sealing and were blowing threw. also found out that the motor is race set up with single ring pistions. now i have to get it bored out, new pistions. so i guess im getting a new top end.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Bad break. Still you did what you could in the situation you were in. I always take a peek under the hood when I stop for fuel/lunch, whenever. I feel if something is starting to go wrong maybe I can catch it before the real damage begins. Also, make sure you know what your sled sounds like "when its running good", helps you know something isn't "right" alot easier. Hope you get it fixed soon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it seemed to be running great untill that point. the guy told me that i would never noticed the problem untill it blew up. i was also just hedding down to radar my sled when it happend so im glad it dident go then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts