Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if im the only one that changes oil in spring and then in fall before the season starts like me? My season is done so my sled just got new oil just for the summer. Now before you rag on me dont even think of telling me they dont get moisture in them while sitting during the summer. Thats why i change now and also in fall before the season starts. Spring time doesnt get a new filter because i just change that in the fall.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Change the oil on my 1200 once a season in the Spring.

For my wife's 1200 that got 200 miles on it last year I never changed it. I will do it this Spring even though she only put on 150 miles this year.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I change mine in the spring only. Don't want all the acid in the oil to sit there all summer. When I get it out for the winter I just start it up on the first weekend and run it so it gets good and hot to get the summer moisture out of it. Don't think anymore about it.

Reactions: wowchad and blitz68

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,653 Posts
Yup same as ^^^Spud62w, do the chaincase at the same time also

-grover

Reactions: blitz68

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
I change the oil and chaincase as soon as the sledding season has ended usually in late March.

On my backups that may only get 300-400 miles I change every other year.

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
Just curious if im the only one that changes oil in spring and then in fall before the season starts like me? My season is done so my sled just got new oil just for the summer. Now before you rag on me dont even think of telling me they dont get moisture in them while sitting during the summer. Thats why i change now and also in fall before the season starts. Spring time doesnt get a new filter because i just change that in the fall.
So you're saying you change it in the spring, and then change it again in the fall after riding zero miles and throw out unused oil? To directly answer your question...yes, I'm pretty sure you're the only one.

Sorry bud, but that's pretty much OCD and incredibly wasteful.

I do all my maintenance in the spring. Come fall I just hit the button and ride. And for those who do it all in the fall? No prob. They're perfectly fine too.

The oil change issue is the most over thought, over done, over discussed topics...that really doesn't matter...in all of motorsports.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Lol hey im just trying to get the moisture out of it from riding. Why would you leave it in there all summer? I pulled my dipstick and it was a little milky around they top, ive seen that on my other ones too, thats why i change it. Maybe im a little obsessed with clean oil, i know when we raced stock cars i changed oil for sure every 3 nights, my engine builder told me every year my engines looked like new yet at the end of a long season. Fresh oil goes a very long way gentlemen, especially in high rpm applications

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
Actually my procedure for getting 100% of the moisture out of my oil is by riding it about 150 miles on my last day of riding each season. That evaporates it all out. Every time. That's why spring or fall changes don't matter.

Anyway this can be debated until nobody wins like every other oil topic, so this is my last post on it and I'll just concede I'm wrong, and everyone else's different opinion is right. Congrats to all on the win.

Don't you change out sleds every year or two? Seems to me I should be more concerned about this that you are since I keep mine much longer. I have about 10,000 miles and 6 seasons of "oil change neglect" and still counting...

Yet I'm not concerned LOL.

I stand by my post and opinion, and I will do so to my grave! Happy summer!

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol oh im not saying you neglect it, i know theres alot of different opinions, to each his own, who cares, i was just wondering. All good fellas.
Yeah i have a hard time keeping my sleds, i see if i can make them a little quicker and get bored with them. Not sure what im going to do next year. Cant try a 850 cuz im sure they may have a few small quirks that modding them might make worse so idk what to do. I could just ride it and be happy i guess lol

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Mine gets changed at the end of the riding season. Almost 3,000mi. this year and the oil was starting to get pretty dark. Pretty sure with synthetic it would have still been fine for another 3,000 but I don't think synthetic oil holds dirt any better than dino oil.. You sure aren't hurting it by changing it that often. If I don't fall victim to wanting the latest and greatest I plan to keep my 1200's for 20,000mi. Not worried about oil related failures but if I don't remember to get the filter top out of the filter cover again all bets are off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seems like a waste changing and discarding new oil that is in a basically sealed engine reservoir. Can't see the oil being any different than leaving the same oil in it original can for the summer.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
But there IS a difference.. Original package is a sealed container with little or no room for air. Engine has air space inside and places where moisture can enter, not much but also subject to condensation whereas a sealed jug full of oil won't get ANY... Interesting that now oil has an expiration date on the container. At least aviation oil does.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I usually do mine at the start of the season. I do how ever start the sled and let it warm up to temp every couple weeks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Without an oil analysis, any oil /moisture/contamination discussion is worthless. We all have our own sense of what is the right way to do things based on what we've learned and what dad & uncle Joe told us over the years.

I personally think the original post of changing oil spring & fall is a total waste of time & money, but I have no data to back it up. But I do work in an engine factory, & see the durability testing that's done. Those results have helped shape my thoughts on engine oil requirements.

All that said, It's fun to see all the passion & how many stupid ideas are out there (after all, I know my ideas are right!!)

In the end, without any data, do what you think is right. Just don't expect any mercy when you post your thoughts in a public forum.

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
I change my oil in the Spring before putting it away. I then change it again around the fourth of July and then again in the fall before the season begins. Then I change it every 500 miles and repeat. I know it sounds crazy but when it comes to changing oil you just can't be too careful.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts