Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
???????????????????
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first sled used. It had 192 studs in the track, but the track was junk. So I never even rode it with that track. I bought a 1 1/4" Camoplast ripsaw traction control track (144 pre-drilled holes designed by camoplast and woody's) I bought 144 1.325 woody's mega-bite studs and 1 1/8" backers.Nobody had doubles in stock around here and I thought I could use all singles, but they wouldn't fit where they were supposed to be doubles so I only put 96 in and figured I'd put the others in later.
I was spinning like I didn't have any when I'd try to launch on the lake. I mean, I was spinning so bad that people would get like 10 sled lengths ahead of me before I really got moving. I'm pretty sure the sled has been geared down, I dragged with someone with the same sled and couldn't even get close to the same on the top but would get the holeshot if I got traction.

My buddy, who has an 04 Poo xc 800, told me the reason I am losing and bending studs is because I don't have nearly enough and 144 is not gonna cut it. He said I should put 192 back in it and recommends using regular nuts with spacers rather than the "big nuts", which I didn't use in the first place. He thinks I should put them on the outside of the track which I heard was a no-no and causes poor cornering. He said it helps cornering, which I find hard to believe but he was hammering down the trails effortlessly. He's got 15 grand into his xc including purchase cost. I think his simmons dual runner skis are what makes him corner so good, but he says it's a combo of skis and studs on the outside.

Sorry for such a long post, just want to see what the general concensus is.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sparky8370 said:
I bought my first sled used. It had 192 studs in the track, but the track was junk. So I never even rode it with that track. I bought a 1 1/4" Camoplast ripsaw traction control track (144 pre-drilled holes designed by camoplast and woody's) I bought 144 1.325 woody's mega-bite studs and 1 1/8" backers.Nobody had doubles in stock around here and I thought I could use all singles, but they wouldn't fit where they were supposed to be doubles so I only put 96 in and figured I'd put the others in later.
I was spinning like I didn't have any when I'd try to launch on the lake. I mean, I was spinning so bad that people would get like 10 sled lengths ahead of me before I really got moving. I'm pretty sure the sled has been geared down, I dragged with someone with the same sled and couldn't even get close to the same on the top but would get the holeshot if I got traction.

My buddy, who has an 04 Poo xc 800, told me the reason I am losing and bending studs is because I don't have nearly enough and 144 is not gonna cut it. He said I should put 192 back in it and recommends using regular nuts with spacers rather than the "big nuts", which I didn't use in the first place. He thinks I should put them on the outside of the track which I heard was a no-no and causes poor cornering. He said it helps cornering, which I find hard to believe but he was hammering down the trails effortlessly. He's got 15 grand into his xc including purchase cost. I think his simmons dual runner skis are what makes him corner so good, but he says it's a combo of skis and studs on the outside.

Sorry for such a long post, just want to see what the general concensus is.
[snapback]699718[/snapback]​
put the rest of the studs in and you shoud be fine i run 144 1.175 woody studs down the center woody patern in my mach z 800 and i can pull my dads 900 big twin on takeoff and hold 3 sleds to the finish

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.