Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just reading the specs, and the 850 e-etc boasts 10 HP more than the 800R. The 800 is said to have 163HP and the 850 10 more HP than the 800, and is said to have 165HP. Anyone know what the real HP of the two engines are?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The 850 is faster......that's all that matters.

·
Registered
814 Posts
IMO, once you get to some HP number, and I believe it to be about 130HP, in the areas I ride which are a mix of tight woods, tight turns, some open fields and whooped out power lines with pretty regular road crossings, "fast" has a lot more to do with the rider and suspension than the motor. That said, when the 850 XRS hits the market, I'll probably be on one.

Reactions: brummy100

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Didnt they line them up in one of the test ride articles
Even if they did, these are a few limited one off prototypes and there will undoubtedly be calibration changes before fall delivery takes place. It took how many years to get the 800 to where it's at?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Seems to me that all things being equal... yes 10hp should be faster... maybe not quicker.
The skid is the same. How will the new one transfer? I remember many, many times smoking 800's with my 700. Ten horse difference can be made up for in clutching. Just saying...

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Guys 50 cc is MASSIVE. That's leaf blower power right there...that 850 has to rip your arms off... Can't even imagine...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
When the 800 E-TEC first came out Doo said it was a 155hp motor. But boasted the 163.9 like it was the word of God himself. Now their saying oh never mind the 163.9 it really was 155. But where being honest now this new motor really is 165hp. Come on really!!!!!!! Fact of the matter is 95% of guys who will buy 850 hell even the 800 will never use all of the available HP the motor makes anyways. Not to mention the number one problem for a sled is traction. If your track is spinning adding more HP will never help that only make it worse.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
When the 800 E-TEC first came out Doo said it was a 155hp motor. But boasted the 163.9 like it was the word of God himself. Now their saying oh never mind the 163.9 it really was 155. But where being honest now this new motor really is 165hp. Come on really!!!!!!! Fact of the matter is 95% of guys who will buy 850 hell even the 800 will never use all of the available HP the motor makes anyways. Not to mention the number one problem for a sled is traction. If your track is spinning adding more HP will never help that only make it worse.
My 600 is as quick to 70 as my 800, maybe quicker, due to the explosive track spin on the 8.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
There is a lot more to the 850 than just a HP rating too.

They added injectors to the throttle body to get faster throttle response. The throttle bodies are also shorter to get air in there quicker. So from a stand still to WoT, the 850 should be a lot quicker to full speed.

Pretty much Skidoo listened to the critics and made improvements in the two biggest complaints: Throttle response and the weak S-module. I think extra 50cc was just to lure the 800 owners into buying a new sled. Meaning, if they only made those two improvements and stuck with an 800, I would bet that at least half of the 800 owners that are now looking to upgrade would not even have considered a newer sled.

Comes down to marketing. $$$ is their goal

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts