Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well as a few of you know im going to be buying a summit 800 and i was talking to my uncle and he told me im making a mistake and hes gonna kill me on his M7 162 thing is super long so i was wondering what i should be prepared for lol he has mods.. he wont tell me what they are tho but stock for stock how do they compare?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't worry dude...

Hit that RER switch, back your sled off the trailer and be on your way. You uncle will be miles behind by the time he muscles his M7 off the trailer.

~Turk

·
Registered
132 Posts
AK-49Revvy said:
well as a few of you know im going to be buying a summit 800 and i was talking to my uncle and he told me im making a mistake and hes gonna kill me on his M7 162 thing is super long so i was wondering what i should be prepared for lol he has mods.. he wont tell me what they are tho but stock for stock how do they compare?
[snapback]729085[/snapback]​
i ride w/ a couple m7's, IMHO, m7 works well, not a sled you feel the power on, but it works on the hills. Diamond drive seems very efficient, wish skidoo would come up with something here. also, i think that 2.25 track works well - 3pitch, very light, 2.25 lugs keep afloat well - i have a 04 800 151 with 2" lugs- i think that extra .25" lug & 3pitch spacing works well.

my2cents.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
phatboyfilms said:
AK-49Revvy said:
[snapback]729085[/snapback]​
i ride w/ a couple m7's, IMHO, m7 works well, not a sled you feel the power on, but it works on the hills. Diamond drive seems very efficient, wish skidoo would come up with something here. also, i think that 2.25 track works well - 3pitch, very light, 2.25 lugs keep afloat well - i have a 04 800 151 with 2" lugs- i think that extra .25" lug & 3pitch spacing works well.

my2cents.
[snapback]729416[/snapback]​
The above comment is probably the most fair comment you will get from anyone...I too ride with M7's good sleds, even with Can etc. etc. etc. they are still a 700...Now, if he has a racinstation m8 mod or an m9 mod then it will have more power...

First thing...get the Summit...great sled...

2nd Pull Sway bar before you even ride...

3rd if you are taller than average height (5'9") get a rider for it makes a WORLD of difference

4th order the Dynamo Joe Clutch Kit (roughly $250) best mod you will make...FULLY tunes your sled

5th make yourself a member of the ttabs mod shop KILLER suggestions in there!!!! Tom is AMAZING!!!!!

seriously, both great sleds...personally I like the ergo's on the Summit better...I am 6'2" and would like to get a little higher seat (dont want to spend cash for Boss)

planetary gearing system is very cool, but does limit you from playing with gears for better hill climbing...so theoretically you can "adjust" the sled more...(That being said, I am a beginner when it comes to sled mods...)

Have a great time!!!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
A friend of mine has one and he could beat me pretty easily all last year. In fact he could beat most anyone with it. He had the M7 with the 153 inch track and I had a Summit 800 with the 144 inch track. I have not ridden with him this year to see what my 06 with the 151 inch track could do. I have a feeling he still could get me. He is one of the best riders I have ridden with and he has that sled dialed.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
beleive it or not... '06 stock for stock... the summit 8 is 2 pounds lighter and has 2 more horse... so VERY comparable, at that point its entirely in the riders hands. The M7 is an impressive machine, but the summit just seems to handle a little better, and has a little more potential for mods... So, just to be safe, go with tha Doo!

·
Highlife says: "UpAndOver Baby!"
1,281 Posts
I take nothing away from the M7, its a true powder sled. It goes in the snow and will climb hills as well. I love the looks of the sled, it has beautiful lines. But !!!

No reverse as of yet .. I love that option for many reasons.

Its still only a 700 ... sorry, I like power, no replacement for displacement.

The bulkhead is still a knee buster, ouch, the rev platform angles forward so your knees/shins very seldom hit anything when you bend your knees to absorb impacts. If you look at it from the side, you will note how verticle the engine bulkhead is compared to the tunnel. Its darn near 90 deg. Again, a knee banger.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
AK,

isnt it cool to post a topic like this on DooTalk and get intelligent responses, rather than bleed green or Bleed Doo or whatever...

Both sleds are good sleds...both allow for LOADS of mods...and both will get you where you want...If you are heaver (Like me) then displacement might make a huge impact...and since you havent bought yet...wait and get the 07 as it will have TONS more power and lighter....

·
Registered
577 Posts
therealsnowdog said:
A friend of mine has one and he could beat me pretty easily all last year. In fact he could beat most anyone with it. He had the M7 with the 153 inch track and I had a Summit 800 with the 144 inch track. I have not ridden with him this year to see what my 06 with the 151 inch track could do. I have a feeling he still could get me. He is one of the best riders I have ridden with and he has that sled dialed.
[snapback]729519[/snapback]​
With the N20 he is packing this year that sled will run right with the 840's.

Last year the only place there was much a difference between his M7 and our Revs was on the big climbs. Keep in mind that's not your typical M7

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
homeslice said:
therealsnowdog said:
[snapback]729519[/snapback]​
With the N20 he is packing this year that sled will run right with the 840's.

Last year the only place there was much a difference between his M7 and our Revs was on the big climbs. Keep in mind that's not your typical M7

[snapback]729742[/snapback]​
And Lloyd is not your typical rider...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I spent last winter as a snowmobile guide in West Yellowstone, and we had Cats and Yamahas for rental sleds. I had plenty of time on the M series (over 6000 miles last winter!), and I have chosen to go with the 800 Summit for my next sled. I debated back and forth, and both are great sleds, but the 3 things that stand out that edged the Summit ahead are this:

1) Reliability- I saw a lot of little issues, and plenty of major issues with the M series that I don't want to worry about. Granted that the Summits have seen some reliabilty issues also, but the friends that I ride with that have both machines, the guy with the M7 has been out much more, and the Summit guys (2) have not had anything that left them in the shop.

2) Can't argue with 100cc of extra power. The M series is lighter, but it is negligible, because it isn't by that much. There is no replacement for displacement. Also, fuel economy is much, much greater on the Summit! Not even close on that.

3) Electronic reverse rules! Not really practical in riding situations, but for trailer and getting back in the garage, etc, it is priceless.

I do like the handling on the M series a bit better, simply because I was used to it, and it does everything well, but overall for me, I think the Summit is my style of machine.

SledMXer

·
Highlife says: "UpAndOver Baby!"
1,281 Posts
SledMXer said:
I spent last winter as a snowmobile guide in West Yellowstone, and we had Cats and Yamahas for rental sleds. I had plenty of time on the M series (over 6000 miles last winter!), and I have chosen to go with the 800 Summit for my next sled. I debated back and forth, and both are great sleds, but the 3 things that stand out that edged the Summit ahead are this:

1) Reliability- I saw a lot of little issues, and plenty of major issues with the M series that I don't want to worry about. Granted that the Summits have seen some reliabilty issues also, but the friends that I ride with that have both machines, the guy with the M7 has been out much more, and the Summit guys (2) have not had anything that left them in the shop.

2) Can't argue with 100cc of extra power. The M series is lighter, but it is negligible, because it isn't by that much. There is no replacement for displacement. Also, fuel economy is much, much greater on the Summit! Not even close on that.

3) Electronic reverse rules! Not really practical in riding situations, but for trailer and getting back in the garage, etc, it is priceless.

I do like the handling on the M series a bit better, simply because I was used to it, and it does everything well, but overall for me, I think the Summit is my style of machine.

SledMXer
[snapback]729836[/snapback]​
I like reverse in the snow as well. Once example I really like is when everyone pulls up to one another to shoot the bull and you want to take off but someone parked in front of you slightly .. all you gotta doo is hit the reverse button and instantly you have enough room to make the turn and miss the guy .. didnt have to lift anything and he didnt have to start his machine either.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i ride with a couple M7's and untill i got my clutch dialed in so that i was reaching peak rpm's, i got HM'd all day
but after adjusting the pins and got my rpm's up where im making max power, my 151 beat out the 153's although it was still close, too close for my liking, i need a clutch kit, any suggestions?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I too have ridden with a few m7's. They are awsome climbers. But I have seen some mechanical issues with them (clutches). If I didn't have a rev I would get one but I won't trade my rev in for one! Just look at the responses here and there are very few negative ones even for a doo site. that must tell you something. REVerse is priceless. I guess to sum it up I would go for the rev but you probably won't know what you're missing by going with with the M7.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea its really nice to see i can post a topic compareing 2 sleds and you guys give me straight up facts from what i can tell you dont rag down the M7 you just state the facts thnx for the imput
im heading into anch soon my uncle isnt going to be there but his sled is.. ill have to investigate what he has under the hood lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are only 3 things on the Summit X that could be done better:
1: Throttle pull
2: Handlebar hooks
3: Fox floats

The rest of the sled is just plain better for any thing I have tried.

By the way - I have lots of negative things to say about the 05 M7s but around 95% of all the M7´s in this town had and still has problems with their engines...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts