Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,346 Posts
First let me say I loved my SDI and I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
I had over 3600 trouble free miles with nothing but the ring change. Never fouled a plug; always ran 100%, every time, all the time. This has been BY FAR the greatest sled I have ever owned and I'll miss it. I'm beginning to think it became possessed or wanted a divorce though; let me explain…

It all started a few weeks ago and innocently enough too. Coming home one night after a good ride, I was almost home when it seemed the sled just didn't want to turn, like it had a mind of its own. I went up a bank at an awkward angle and the sled did a slow gentle semi-roll, not even coming close to going over, but enough to knock off a hand guard. I was really beat and thought "what's up with that?"
I knew I was tired but thought that was odd. I picked up the hand guard and bought a new bracket for it and everything was back to 100%. No big deal, but incident #1.

Fast forward to last Wednesday night. We were doing our regular Wednesday night ride, although due to the high number of accidents and extra tourist traffic last week, we were being a little extra careful. I came to a road crossing which we normally don't stop at, due to it crossing in the middle of a wide open field. This time I decide to stop. As I began to cross I looked back, checking on our group. Well, there was a washout hole on the other side of the road and I hit it - bam. Had I not stopped I'd have cruised right over it, no problem. I didn't, big problem. Again, "what's up with that?"
The A-arms were bent and the nun was slightly tweaked. I was able to drive it home, but because I keep my stuff in 100% A1 condition, nothing was spared. We were headed to camp and time was not on my side, so a lot of overtime in my garage, a lot of help from friends, and $1338.00 later she was back to better than new. All new parts were used and it turned out great. Finished up just in time to load it up and headed to camp. Bad luck again, or is the sled looking for a new owner? That was incident #2.

We get to camp Friday night and all is good. Saturday morning we get up to get some serious riding in. Looks like a great day ahead. We fire up the sleds and head out. I made it just about 5 miles when, you guessed it, possessed again. This time the engine looses power and shuts down. No noise, no warning, no power. It's not locked up, but it's not running either. We pull the plugs and they are nice and brown, but one electrode doesn't look good. We put new plugs in and I was able to limp it back to the trailer and load it up. Off to the dealer.

I stopped in today and the engine is out on the bench. It's not bad, but I sure won't be riding it this Wednesday night. Funny thing too is there is no obvious cause of what went wrong yet. I'm sure they'll find it. At this point I give up. It's apparent this sled has decided it wants a new owner and our time together is through. Incident #3 - I'm out.

I WOULD recommend this sled to ANYONE who was looking for a good used sled. Until Wednesday night it has been the most PERFECT sled I've ever owned. I'm a bit miffed at the last 4 days and decided enough was enough, for me, for now. I'm sure when the engine gets put back in it will be as good as new and make someone an excellent sled. For me, my time with it is done.
If you're looking for what should be an EXCELLENT used sled, PM me and I'll give you the details.

I pick up my new 500SS tomorrow and I'll order a new '08 next spring - and yes, I expect it to be another Renegade X SDI. I know the '07's will be out in 4 more days, but I've already spent enough money this week.

G

·
Parting with a sled(especially one that has been for the most part reliable)is a hard thing to doo! and by the way welcome to the 500ss club where reliability and thousands of trouble free miles await you!

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
500ss man said:
Parting with a sled(especially one that has been for the most part reliable)is a hard thing to doo! and by the way welcome to the 500ss club where reliability and thousands of trouble free miles await you!

[snapback]738487[/snapback]​
i dont know, we had a 500ss go in our group the last time we were out riding. all the electronics were toast, the sled wouldnt even run. the sled only had 300 babied miles on it.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
29,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
500ss man said:

Thanks. Letting the Gade go was hard - I had become attached. I'll miss everything about it, I'm sure. But...the 500SS will do fine for now and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. If not, a new set of shocks, some bracing, and a different seat and I'll have a 500SS X. I honestly only plan on keeping it 'till next spring though. We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
29,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
04rev600sdi said:
Bruce ya should of bought the TUNDRA

[snapback]740333[/snapback]​

·
Registered
0 Posts
MX-Z Man said:
First let me say I loved my SDI and I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
I had over 3600 trouble free miles with nothing but the ring change. Never fouled a plug; always ran 100%, every time, all the time. This has been BY FAR the greatest sled I have ever owned and I'll miss it. I'm beginning to think it became possessed or wanted a divorce though; let me explain…

It all started a few weeks ago and innocently enough too. Coming home one night after a good ride, I was almost home when it seemed the sled just didn't want to turn, like it had a mind of its own. I went up a bank at an awkward angle and the sled did a slow gentle semi-roll, not even coming close to going over, but enough to knock off a hand guard. I was really beat and thought "what's up with that?"
I knew I was tired but thought that was odd. I picked up the hand guard and bought a new bracket for it and everything was back to 100%. No big deal, but incident #1.

Fast forward to last Wednesday night. We were doing our regular Wednesday night ride, although due to the high number of accidents and extra tourist traffic last week, we were being a little extra careful. I came to a road crossing which we normally don't stop at, due to it crossing in the middle of a wide open field. This time I decide to stop. As I began to cross I looked back, checking on our group. Well, there was a washout hole on the other side of the road and I hit it - bam. Had I not stopped I'd have cruised right over it, no problem. I didn't, big problem. Again, "what's up with that?"
The A-arms were bent and the nun was slightly tweaked. I was able to drive it home, but because I keep my stuff in 100% A1 condition, nothing was spared. We were headed to camp and time was not on my side, so a lot of overtime in my garage, a lot of help from friends, and $1338.00 later she was back to better than new. All new parts were used and it turned out great. Finished up just in time to load it up and headed to camp. Bad luck again, or is the sled looking for a new owner? That was incident #2.

We get to camp Friday night and all is good. Saturday morning we get up to get some serious riding in. Looks like a great day ahead. We fire up the sleds and head out. I made it just about 5 miles when, you guessed it, possessed again. This time the engine looses power and shuts down. No noise, no warning, no power. It's not locked up, but it's not running either. We pull the plugs and they are nice and brown, but one electrode doesn't look good. We put new plugs in and I was able to limp it back to the trailer and load it up. Off to the dealer.

I stopped in today and the engine is out on the bench. It's not bad, but I sure won't be riding it this Wednesday night. Funny thing too is there is no obvious cause of what went wrong yet. I'm sure they'll find it. At this point I give up. It's apparent this sled has decided it wants a new owner and our time together is through. Incident #3 - I'm out.

I WOULD recommend this sled to ANYONE who was looking for a good used sled. Until Wednesday night it has been the most PERFECT sled I've ever owned. I'm a bit miffed at the last 4 days and decided enough was enough, for me, for now. I'm sure when the engine gets put back in it will be as good as new and make someone an excellent sled. For me, my time with it is done.
If you're looking for what should be an EXCELLENT used sled, PM me and I'll give you the details.

I pick up my new 500SS tomorrow and I'll order a new '08 next spring - and yes, I expect it to be another Renegade X SDI. I know the '07's will be out in 4 more days, but I've already spent enough money this week.

[snapback]738467[/snapback]​
3600 miles is not alot of miles. Why do you guys think that a sled needs to be replaced at that low of miles? I put 4000 miles on my 01 ZR 800 the first year I owned it and I kept it for two more seasons. My wife has 3500 miles on her 05 600 sdi and we still consider it a new sled. I would be real "edit for bad language" if her engine seizes anytime soon!! I can't believe you guys will spend 8000 dollars on a new sled, put a mere 3500 miles on it and then feel its OK for it to seize its engine. Well I guess if thats OK by you then keep buying those sleds with disposable engines...BRP loves guys like you.
Your incident #1 and 2 had nothing to do with the sled but for it to seize up with only 3600 miles on it is just nuts!! Don't you think that these engine failures are getting waaay out of hand? I've never in my life heard of so many engines seizing as I have here on DooTalk this year. The worst part is its all the engines...1000 SDI's. 600 SDI's, 800 PT's and even a few 500ss engines. *%@ is going on here??? How bad would it be if we had a really good snow year and guys were putting big miles on??

Good luck with your new sleds...I'll give you credit for being waay more brand loyal than I am. Lets all just hope that someday BRP will get its head out of its azz and start building engines like the used to...you know the reliable ones!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
500ss man said:

Yeah, they're as good as the old series 3 500 and 700.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts