Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last season ive been using my sled on my property and my neighbors. I didn't care to do much riding as i wanted to get used to riding and get the quirks all figured out, although i did put quite a few kms on it in the area i had to ride. Now that I have a few buddy's that are into snowmobiling I want to be able to go onto the trails this year which means i need ownership. I bought this off of my uncle who hadn't used it since 2002 and it came with a new track and a rebuilt motor for $500. He wrote me a bill of sale in may 2019 but has since passed away. I have the VIN number, registration number, model number, bill of sale (but with the wrong year of the sled), and motor vehicle transfer receipt from 2001 my aunt found which was from the tranfer from my uncles uncle (the original owner) to my Uncle. if i brought this all in to service Canada do you think it would be enough to have the ownership transferred?

I am in Prince Edward County, Ontario

snowmobile is 1995 skidoo mx 470

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I believe you will need an affidavit signed off by the police and a notary to do that. It sounds like it wasn’t even in his name, which adds an additional layer of complication.Go to service Ontario and ask them. Be patient, it won’t happen quickly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you will need an affidavit signed off by the police and a notary to do that. It sounds like it wasn't even in his name, which adds an additional layer of complication.Go to service Ontario and ask them. Be patient, it won't happen quickly.
I am almost sure it is in my uncles name, if i need any previous owner to sign anything it cannot happen as both owners are deceased. The only person that could sign anything is my aunt, she said that if I needed a signature she would sign it. ill go down to service Ontario and ill have to go from there, was just wondering if anyone has gone down the same path.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I sort of have. When you go to service Ontario with your story, take as much documentation as you can.With the vin they can find out who it was last registered to. If he is deceased as well, your aunt’s verification may have to be included. But it’s doable. Good luck.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Buying the UVIP is probably the best start. Yeah, it's $20, but it gives you the info you need.

Changing the ownership should work, just with your bill of sale. Correct and initial the incorrect model year on the receipt. However, if the previous registrant is deceased, and they won't/can't do it.....

.....you will need a commissioned affidavit. You don't need anything from the Police. Some MTO offices have Commissioners on site that can sign and stamp your affidavit. If not, your local MP or MPP's office often have a Commissioner on site. City Councillors can do it also. All of these should be free services. I'm attaching here the MTO's affidavit requirements. It has to be exact, and if you have any errors, you will need a new affidavit. You cannot initial changes, etc., once it is commissioned. One item that my MTO office always asks for to be included in my affidavit, is a declaration of the efforts I made to contact the current registrant. That's when they usually ask me to buy the UVIP...... lol. $20, no biggie. You don't need any previous owner to sign anything; that's the entire point of this process. It is easy to do, but you must follow the steps exactly. It can be done with one visit to the MTO.

If you PM me, I will gladly send you a copy of the affidavit I created and use in MS Word format, specifically for vehicle/sled registrations. You can also ask me any questions; have done quite a few of these. We'll get ya fixed up. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buying the UVIP is probably the best start. Yeah, it's $20, but it gives you the info you need.

Changing the ownership should work, just with your bill of sale. Correct and initial the incorrect model year on the receipt. However, if the previous registrant is deceased, and they won't/can't do it.....

.....you will need a commissioned affidavit. You don't need anything from the Police. Some MTO offices have Commissioners on site that can sign and stamp your affidavit. If not, your local MP or MPP's office often have a Commissioner on site. City Councillors can do it also. All of these should be free services. I'm attaching here the MTO's affidavit requirements. It has to be exact, and if you have any errors, you will need a new affidavit. You cannot initial changes, etc., once it is commissioned. One item that my MTO office always asks for to be included in my affidavit, is a declaration of the efforts I made to contact the current registrant. That's when they usually ask me to buy the UVIP...... lol. $20, no biggie. You don't need any previous owner to sign anything; that's the entire point of this process. It is easy to do, but you must follow the steps exactly. It can be done with one visit to the MTO.

If you PM me, I will gladly send you a copy of the affidavit I created and use in MS Word format, specifically for vehicle/sled registrations. You can also ask me any questions; have done quite a few of these. We'll get ya fixed up. :)
that is a little more to do than I hoped but I guess it could be worse. Thank god there is forums full of people that have gone through this before. I send you a PM, if you could send me a copy of the affidavit i would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
That was really helpful info.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went into service Canada and I gave them the bill of sale. Lady said that since the owner is deceased the sole executor(s) (my aunt) would have to come with the death certificate and will then would have to transfer the ownership from my uncles name to her name then she would have to write me a bill of sale and sign the ownership off to me. This makes it a bit more of a pain in the ass than I hoped but my aunt said she would meet me at service Canada tomorrow to get everything changed over. I probably could get away with an affidavit but I'll just do it the way they say instead of taking a chance the affidavit won't work.

I'll let you know how tomorrow works out.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You might also want to take a copy of the will, along with a death certificate & your Aunt.( which you did mention ) . The will is going to show who is the executor & beneficiary is, which is your Aunt, they do have the right to ask for this information.

The same thing happened to me , but it was a boat with a trailer, it was the trailer that caused all the problems.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went in and they processed everything, took less than 10 minutes. Everything is in my name and it's good to go!

Also put insurance on it and bought a trail pass, the we just got a few inches of now today on top of the few we got a few days ago but snow is supposed to stay until tomorrow but after that it's gone for the next week or so. Planning to go on a ride with a buddy tomorrow, hopefully everything goes to plan.

Thanks you everyone for your help.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Went in and they processed everything, took less than 10 minutes. Everything is in my name and it's good to go!

Also put insurance on it and bought a trail pass, the we just got a few inches of now today on top of the few we got a few days ago but snow is supposed to stay until tomorrow but after that it's gone for the next week or so. Planning to go on a ride with a buddy tomorrow, hopefully everything goes to plan.

Thanks you everyone for your help.
Glad everything worked out for you.

I also think sometimes it depends on where you go to register the sled. I witnessed a person in Lakefield trying to register a vintage sled that he had bought in a box years ago from a guy in the Pembroke area. He had tried to register the sled in Bancroft, but all the woman there would say was "No we can't do that" and sent him on his way. The woman in Lakefield explained to him what he needed and said w/ that info, they could register the sled.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I deal with the people in there quite often for a number of reasons and they are pretty good, never turned me away once and always told me what I need to do. This time it was something I've never had to deal with before so just wanted to see if anyone had my answer.

I went on a 100km ride today, worked well but oil fouled two plugs. I had a guy professionally tune it so I'm hoping this was just a one time issue. I took it in the farmers field with a friend that has a 1990 something Polaris 500 xlt, he went 125 km/h and I got mine going 115km/h, I didn't think it could go that fast! Then we lined up 15 feet apart from each other, I got up to speed faster but by the end he was 2 feet in front of me. Still need to get my brake rubbing problem figured out but other than that it's perfect.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I deal with the people in there quite often for a number of reasons and they are pretty good, never turned me away once and always told me what I need to do. This time it was something I've never had to deal with before so just wanted to see if anyone had my answer.

I went on a 100km ride today, worked well but oil fouled two plugs. I had a guy professionally tune it so I'm hoping this was just a one time issue. I took it in the farmers field with a friend that has a 1990 something Polaris 500 xlt, he went 125 km/h and I got mine going 115km/h, I didn't think it could go that fast! Then we lined up 15 feet apart from each other, I got up to speed faster but by the end he was 2 feet in front of me. Still need to get my brake rubbing problem figured out but other than that it's perfect.
He's got an extra 110cc's (580cc) on you but those old 470 were quick little sleds. If you oil fouled the plugs after the carb set up, I hope they were cleaned is what u mean you might need to change out the needles/seats. Plugs should be a nice dark Tan color, not wet/black.
Plus if you put in all new skid bearings, new belt, cleaned clutches etc you probably be neck in neck with him.

Have fun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The guy I sent it to is pretty good, I’m sure he made sure they were clean before doing anything. I do remember that when I sent the sled to him they had BR8ES plugs in them but changed them at the end of last year to the recommend plug in the manual (BR9ES). I’m going to buy a set of BR8ES plugs tomorrow and see if they hold up. Don’t know if that is my issue but I’ve done some research and some people say the foul less because they run hotter. I think I posted a thread about a year ago comparing me running the two plugs and how much oil builds up on each but Can’t remember what the conclusion was. I found a set of used BR8ES plugs in my spare plug bag from last year and they looked like they were in half decent condition with the only oil being on the threads (I put almost dead crappy plugs in when storing and the first start of the season).

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The guy I sent it to is pretty good, I'm sure he made sure they were clean before doing anything. I do remember that when I sent the sled to him they had BR8ES plugs in them but changed them at the end of last year to the recommend plug in the manual (BR9ES). I'm going to buy a set of BR8ES plugs tomorrow and see if they hold up. Don't know if that is my issue but I've done some research and some people say the foul less because they run hotter. I think I posted a thread about a year ago comparing me running the two plugs and how much oil builds up on each but Can't remember what the conclusion was. I found a set of used BR8ES plugs in my spare plug bag from last year and they looked like they were in half decent condition with the only oil being on the threads (I put almost dead crappy plugs in when storing and the first start of the season).
Stick with the br9es or the version with the solid core top.

If your fouling plugs, oil/wet (rich) then you need to find out why and adjust. The hotter plug is not the answer. I'd take the carbs off, confirm they r clean, confirm you have the proper main jet and needle setting.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is little to no fuel on the plugs, just oil. There is no bogging at any point of the throttle position when driving it and it idles at around 1100-1200 rpm. I don’t think it has anything to do with running rich on gas but instead on oil. My local parts guy told me to check to see if the oil pump is stuck open so I’m going to do that. I hate working on carburetors alone so messing with the oil pump and carburetors scare me away, if anyone is going to tune it I’ll have to send it to the small engine guy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The guy said that he tunes everything to stock first then he does his own tweaking if it doesn’t run properly. My sled has been bored out before so that could be one of the reasons it probably isn’t stock

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I parked it with the gauge reading empty but it still had a little bit in the bottom of the tank (2 litres or so). I filled the tank to 3/4 of gas (45 litres) and dumped some sea foam in it before I left yesterday. I doubt it has anything to do with old fuel.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The guy said that he tunes everything to stock first then he does his own tweaking if it doesn't run properly. My sled has been bored out before so that could be one of the reasons it probably isn't stock
Confirm the jetting. Do you get really poor fuel mileage?

Unless the oil pump has been adjusted to pump more in a poor needle and seat Will give you that look. Dark oiled carbon looking plugs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts