Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does thiw winter rank in the list of you worst???
Worst (Makes me sick to see the grass bare for so long)5157.95%
2ND Worst55.68%
3RD Worst00.00%
Not Too Bad22.27%
Alright55.68%
Pretty Good66.82%
A Normal Year910.23%
An Above Average Year1011.36%

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This winter, a lot like last winter, has consisted of a lot of moisture in the northeast along with a lot of mild weather. I am not whining, because as soon as im done with college i can move to the snow. I am just interested in seeing just how bad other people think this winter has been compared to others they've experienced...

Josh

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
It has been an awesome winter so far.......still got 3 more months of riding!!

Weather has been incredibly warm......Papa and I ride an average of 3 nights per week and Saturday and Sunday.

It is so beautiful late at night we stop our sleds in the middle of the lake and cuddle up together and look at the Northern lights.

We are truly blessed to live here in paradise!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
For me it has been very bad..... Between NO SNOW!!!! and having work conflics to travel. I wish I took advantage of the snow we had in Dec.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MamaSled said:
It has been an awesome winter so far.......still got 3 more months of riding!!

Weather has been incredibly warm......Papa and I ride an average of 3 nights per week and Saturday and Sunday.

It is so beautiful late at night we stop our sleds in the middle of the lake and cuddle up together and look at the Northern lights.

We are truly blessed to live here in paradise!!
[snapback]726418[/snapback]​
Any jobs for a 21 year old with a criminal justice degree, and pretty soon a bachelors in Economic Crime Investigation???

·
Registered
677 Posts
i live south of lake ontario(eastern wayne county) and usually partake in the lake effect storms however this year has been tough,but this is normal in the 30+ years i have ridden i have seen these "weather cycles" many times, it will get better. but on a bright note, tug hill is only an hour away and can go up anytime if i have too, went up today with my brother in law from mississippi who has not rode since he left north dakota, the smile on his face was priceless and we had one hell of a time.

·
Registered
941 Posts
This has been the worst winter since snowmobiles were invented, no plans to sell out yet. Nobody can remember a winter without snow but this may be the first. This is not supposed to happen in the mountains at 8000 feet. Glad its been awsome for you M-P!!!

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
I'm from western NY and I remember one of these about 1973 ( ok I'm kinda old) been in vermont since 77 with a few years in Jackson WYO where I also witnessed a bad one about 1980, but this is the worst in Central Vt I can remember,I have not given up March can be happnin with snow but I kinda doubt it.
Tomorrow we head to the famous Tug Hill never been but know it is about 4 hrs from here going to take the wife and hope fully put on some fun and safe miles . I am hoping the crowd will be a bit less tues and weds.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
charlie said:
I'm from western NY and I remember one of these about 1973 ( ok I'm kinda old) been in vermont since 77 with a few years in Jackson WYO where I also witnessed a bad one about 1980, but this is the worst in Central Vt I can remember,I have not given up March can be happnin with snow but I kinda doubt it.
Tomorrow we head to the famous Tug Hill never been but know it is about 4 hrs from here going to take the wife and hope fully put on some fun and safe miles . I am hoping the crowd will be a bit less tues and weds.

[snapback]726455[/snapback]​
Good timing, as you probably know they have gotten buried since Friday and looking at the radar 15 minutes ago it looks like the lake effect is still cranking now just south of Watertown.. 4' on the ground in Barnes Corner and it looks to be snowing there now on the web cam....
ENJOY!!!

Josh

G

·
This year has been a mixed bag of sorts. The season showed alot of promise in Nov with that snowfall on the 23rd.For me that was the earliest I`ve ever been sledding.Dec was average with snow right up to the 23rd. Jan on the other hand sucked big time but lucky Feb and mother nature came thru for us.I plan to go riding all this weekend including Monday having looked at the long range with milder temps and rain to start off the month of March. After that I`m probably going to shut things down for the season and Rip the sled apart, clean everything,replace anything that needs replacing and wait for next season while enjoying the return of summer!

·
Hold It Wide Open Till You See God
2,311 Posts
Excellent winter, couldn't ask for much better.
Winter is what you make of it. We've had winters with much more snow, and people didn't want to ride because they were getting stuck all the time. We've also had bitterly cold winters where no one wanted to ride. If you have no snow at home, take the money you saved by not riding and take that trip of a lifetime to the mountains.
Then post the pics and brag about your trip to the rest of us.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alexd said:
Excellent winter, couldn't ask for much better.
Winter is what you make of it. We've had winters with much more snow, and people didn't want to ride because they were getting stuck all the time. We've also had bitterly cold winters where no one wanted to ride. If you have no snow at home, take the money you saved by not riding and take that trip of a lifetime to the mountains.
Then post the pics and brag about your trip to the rest of us.
[snapback]726483[/snapback]​
I bought a truck and a new sled instead, so ther goes that idea. But very very good point anyway. That is how i look at it, as i go out and ride everytime there is reasonably enough snow, but i wont cut classes even to go to the "hill"....

·
Registered
294 Posts
I live in the fingerlakes of NY and we had and have flowers growing by the walkway leading to the house. I have never seen that in all of my 32 years. Not in the middle of January do I remember flowers growing in a January. This is the worst.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
500ss man said:
This year has been a mixed bag of sorts. The season showed alot of promise in Nov with that snowfall on the 23rd.For me that was the earliest I`ve ever been sledding.Dec was average with snow right up to the 23rd. Jan on the other hand sucked big time but lucky Feb and mother nature came thru for us.I plan to go riding all this weekend including Monday having looked at the long range with milder temps and rain to start off the month of March. After that I`m probably going to shut things down for the season and Rip the sled apart, clean everything,replace anything that needs replacing and wait for next season while enjoying the return of summer!

[snapback]726479[/snapback]​
I have to agree. Even though I was lazy and still working on my sled in December and didn't get to ride, up until Christmas everyone was saying this was the best winter in decades. People around here got hundreds of miles on in December. January sucked, but so far Febuary hasn't been that bad. I'ts not over yet and with all the ice we got I bet some spots will be rideable in April.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Should i move to Michigan or Colorado. I never know that the UP got the lake effect like that.... I hear you can ride till may/june in colorado, they get about 300-500 inches a year out there... What about the UP?

Josh

·
Master Electrician
2,304 Posts
Winters in northern Mn are pretty predictable, this winter is as well. You never know if it will be cold or snowy or both. This year has been a little above avg. on temps. but below normal on snowfall. However all You nonbelievers living in the twincities, there is plenty of snow for some great riding. Not too much to make big whoop-de-doos, just smooth flat trails. I live in Park Rapids and have'nt missed riding at least once a week,usually a couple days a week. Weekends get very busy around here so We try to go around wed. or thur. after everything has been groomed.International Falls has excelent riding conditions as well. Put'em on the trailer and get out riding.ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.